Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

  1. #1
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,962

    Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

    U.S. Investigators Suspect Missing Malaysia Airplane Flew On for Hours - WSJ.com



    U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.

    Aviation investigators and national security officials believe the plane flew for a total of five hours, based on data automatically downloaded and sent to the ground from the Boeing Co. 777's engines as part of a routine maintenance and monitoring program.

    That raises a host of new questions and possibilities about what happened aboard the widebody jet carrying 239 people, which vanished from civilian air-traffic control radar over the weekend, about one hour into a flight to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

    Six days after the mysterious disappearance prompted a massive international air and water search that so far hasn't produced any results, the investigation appears to be broadening in scope.

    U.S. counterterrorism officials are pursuing the possibility that a pilot or someone else on board the plane may have diverted it toward an undisclosed location after intentionally turning off the jetliner's transponders to avoid radar detection, according to one person tracking the probe.
    More

    The investigation remains fluid, and it isn't clear whether investigators have evidence indicating possible terrorism or sabotage. So far, U.S. national security officials have said that nothing specifically points toward terrorism, though they haven't ruled it out.

    But the huge uncertainty about where the plane was headed, and why it apparently continued flying so long without working transponders, has raised theories among investigators that the aircraft may have been commandeered for a reason that appears unclear to U.S. authorities. Some of those theories have been laid out to national security officials and senior personnel from various U.S. agencies, according to one person familiar with the matter.

    WSJ has confirmed that the pilot had the ability to manually turn off the transponder on Flight MH370. A mid-air catastrophe could have destroyed it. Why is the transponder so significant? WSJ's Jason Bellini has #TheShortAnswer.

    At one briefing, according to this person, officials were told investigators are actively pursuing the notion that the plane was diverted "with the intention of using it later for another purpose."

    As of Wednesday it remained unclear whether the plane reached an alternate destination or if it ultimately crashed, potentially hundreds of miles from where an international search effort has been focused.

    In those scenarios, neither mechanical problems, pilot mistakes nor some other type of catastrophic incident caused the 250-ton plane to mysteriously vanish from radar.

    The latest revelations come as local media reported that Malaysian police visited the home of at least one of the two pilots.
    Wow, this is getting even more baffling. Looks like the Tom Clancy thriller conspiracies seem to be coming to fruition. My question is why did the airplane manufacturers allow access to the transponders so they can be deactivated? It should be mandatory for all civilian airliners to have a tamper proof transponder so no one will be able to deactivate it unless its on the ground.

  2. #2
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

    It is not true. Official press conference right now, says it is a lie.
    PeteEU

  3. #3
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

    It seems likely that one of the pilots went nuts.

  4. #4
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,962

    Re: Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    It is not true. Official press conference right now, says it is a lie.
    Well thats what the Malaysians are saying but I dont think anyone believes them anymore.

  5. #5
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Well thats what the Malaysians are saying but I dont think anyone believes them anymore.
    So you would rather believe a newspaper owned by a man who tweeted hours after the disappearance that it was Al Q? The WSJ is a joke these days and can hardly be taken seriously with the amount of bull**** it publishes on a regular basis, including this story from unconfirmed sources and bla bla.

    I would rather believe the official version for now, instead of the usual bs rumour and conspiracy theories coming out of the US these days.
    PeteEU

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So you would rather believe a newspaper owned by a man who tweeted hours after the disappearance that it was Al Q? The WSJ is a joke these days and can hardly be taken seriously with the amount of bull**** it publishes on a regular basis, including this story from unconfirmed sources and bla bla.

    I would rather believe the official version for now, instead of the usual bs rumour and conspiracy theories coming out of the US these days.
    Well, Rolls Royce data will clear it up. It's that simple.

    Btw, Malaysia has been horrible at handling the situation. First it was the plane went down in South China/ Gulf of Thailand. Then it was maybe in the Straight of Malacca, now it could be in the Andaman Sea. Before you know it.. they'll be looking in the Indian Ocean/Bay of Bengal.
    Last edited by austrianecon; 03-13-14 at 08:01 AM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

    I'm not sure about the credibility of the above news report. First, U.S. investigators have not made any such announcements. Second, we don't even know if the "two" persons who spoke with the newspaper are even part of the investigation.

    With few meaningful leads right now, it would not be surprising if the investigation was exploring various theories to try to develop possible explanations to guide the effort. Such theories, however, do not constitute actual evidence. As the article states that the alleged sources were "familiar with the details" [but did not specify what details with which they were allegedly familiar] rather than "connected to the investigation" or similar language, it's entirely plausible that those individuals confused one of many still hypothetical theories with evidence.

    To date, Malaysia has dissembled, as noted by the Washington Post yesterday. However, that doesn't make other speculation any more credible. The fact is that U.S. investigators have not formally made the claim cited in the article up to now. IMO, the article should not have run, as the information was speculative and of highly uncertain quality.

  8. #8
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    Well, Rolls Royce data will clear it up. It's that simple.
    Yes, if it exists. Funny how so long after the fact that this data suddenly comes up no? Plus it has already been debunked.. the last signal from the engines came 30 min after the plane left. Just another lie coming out of somewhere...

    Btw, Malaysia has been horrible at handling the situation. First it the plane went down in South China/ Gulf of Thailand. Then it was maybe in the Straight of Malacca, now it could be in the Andaman Sea. Before you know it.. they'll be looking in the Indian Ocean/Bay of Bengal.
    No they have not. You are talking about debunked media reports and rumour.
    Last edited by PeteEU; 03-13-14 at 08:08 AM.
    PeteEU

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    I'm not sure about the credibility of the above news report. First, U.S. investigators have not made any such announcements. Second, we don't even know if the "two" persons who spoke with the newspaper are even part of the investigation.

    With few meaningful leads right now, it would not be surprising if the investigation was exploring various theories to try to develop possible explanations to guide the effort. Such theories, however, do not constitute actual evidence. As the article states that the alleged sources were "familiar with the details" [but did not specify what details with which they were allegedly familiar] rather than "connected to the investigation" or similar language, it's entirely plausible that those individuals confused one of many still hypothetical theories with evidence.

    To date, Malaysia has dissembled, as noted by the Washington Post yesterday. However, that doesn't make other speculation any more credible. The fact is that U.S. investigators have not formally made the claim cited in the article up to now. IMO, the article should not have run, as the information was speculative and of highly uncertain quality.
    Except the article was gonna run. A scoop is a scoop. US intel agencies (spy satellites) found no evidence of a mid air explosion. That leaves only 1 viable option left since A) the transponder was turned off and there was no explosion and B) the Malaysian Government/ Military has expanded it's search zone.

    Basically they've accept the fact that the plane left course and flew longer then when the transponder went off. That alone.. gives creditability to the WSJ report.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Missing Malysian Airliner Continued to Fly on For Hours (Confirmed)

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Yes, if it exists. Funny how so long after the fact that this data suddenly comes up no? Plus it has already been debunked.. the last signal from the engines came 30 min after the plane left. Just another lie coming out of somewhere...
    Nah, it's not funny. But it takes awhile to process data or even realize you have it. The report in which you say is debunking it is came from Malaysia Airlines, problem with that is.. Malaysia Airlines assumes Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) wasn't collected by Rolls Royce because they opted out of the program offered by Boeing and Rolls Royce. You can opt out but the data is still collected for research purposes on future engine builds. But the problem is, it dove tails with accounts from of changing search grids by the Malaysian Government. Another ACARS could have been sent out and Malaysia Airlines wouldn't know.


    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    No they have not. You are talking about debunked media reports and rumour.
    No media report has debunked it. None. Rumor would be that MH370 actually hit two 5 story buildings in NYC yesterday and caused an explosions that killed 6 people and injured 61 instead of it being a gas explosion. See the difference?
    Last edited by austrianecon; 03-13-14 at 08:27 AM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •