Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 236

Thread: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

  1. #41
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Flexability is one of the big reasons. A few of the people with the company the longest took a pay cut, as we were put under a lower (non-exempt) band. So, our max salaries have decreased which affects things like salary relativety - which can effect raises and the like.
    For one thing, exempt status has no effect on flexibility. You still have to do the work and put in the hours that your employer requires. If not, you get fired.

    And as far as pay goes, there's nothing stopping either exempt or non-exempt employees from asking for more pay, and if they don't get it, they can find another job.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #42
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    As long as an employer lets one have flexibility, I see your point. Some employers, however, don't let you do that. They're certainly under no obligation to do so. If one gets comp time? I completely agree. Salary's better.
    Actually, being salaried and being exempt are two different issues. One can be salaried exempt, non-salaried exempt, salaried non-exempt and non-salaried non-exempt

    IOW, the issue of being eligible for overtime has nothing to do with whether you're salaried or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #43
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,312

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    The other thing that Obama may not be counting on, is that there is no requirement
    for companies to keep the pay level of the employees the same.
    If they have to start paying them for the 50 hour week, they just reduce their pay by 25%
    so they end up with the same take home pay, but now only if they actually work the 50 hours.

  4. #44
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    The other thing that Obama may not be counting on, is that there is no requirement
    for companies to keep the pay level of the employees the same.
    If they have to start paying them for the 50 hour week, they just reduce their pay by 25%
    so they end up with the same take home pay, but now only if they actually work the 50 hours.
    Yep, many ways to compensate for any predictable OT.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    For one thing, exempt status has no effect on flexibility. You still have to do the work and put in the hours that your employer requires. If not, you get fired.
    You are entirely incorrect. Hourly employees have far less flexability than exempt employees. Of course you still have to get your work done, though.

    And as far as pay goes, there's nothing stopping either exempt or non-exempt employees from asking for more pay, and if they don't get it, they can find another job.
    By the same token, there is nothign from stopping an exempt employee from saying they want hourly/OT, then if they don't get it, they can find another job.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,219

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Well, frankly, I think something should be done. Companies too often pay salaries and then expect sixty hours a week with no comp time. Just exactly how fair is that?
    Maybe, hard to say. It doesn't apply to all salaried workers, and i would hate to see a one-size-fits-all, like always happens when the feds get involved.

    States rights anyone...

    I've seen places where some salaried workers work 30 hrs a week, and other 60, for the same job. They are being paid by the job... Just that simple... Simply work more efficient...

    If the job isn't for you, change jobs.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,353

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Straight to hyperbole in post #2!

    I like being salaried because it gives me more flexibility in scheduling my time. I normally work 40-45 hours a week and am certainly not "owned". I've worked a number of salaried jobs in the last 20 years and was never required to work an exorbitant number of hours.
    What does that have to do with this? You are not everybody.

  8. #48
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    You are entirely incorrect. Hourly employees have far less flexability than exempt employees. Of course you still have to get your work done, though.
    Nonsense. If the boss wants their non-exempt employees to be present during specified hours then they have to be there. Exempt status has nothing to do with flexible hours. The reason why some people have more flexible hours than others is because their boss allows it. Bosses can give non-exempt employees just as much flexibility as they give exempt ones, if they so choose.

    By the same token, there is nothign from stopping an exempt employee from saying they want hourly/OT, then if they don't get it, they can find another job.
    Correct, which goes to my point that there is no added flexibility associated with being exempt or non-exempt. Flexibility is the result of the contract between employers and employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Actually, being salaried and being exempt are two different issues. One can be salaried exempt, non-salaried exempt, salaried non-exempt and non-salaried non-exempt

    IOW, the issue of being eligible for overtime has nothing to do with whether you're salaried or not.
    If you are salaried, you are defiend as exempt. To qualify as an exempt employee, you have to be salaried. It's the first bullet point below:

    Definition: Certain types of employees, who are classified as exempt employees, are not entitled to overtime pay as guaranteed by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). If an employee is classified as exempt (vs. non-exempt) their employer is not required to pay them overtime pay.
    Administrative, executive, and professional employees, outside salespeople and certain computer employees may be classified as exempt if they meet the following criteria:

    •Employees are paid on a salary rather than an an hourly basis.
    •Employees earn at least $455 per week.
    •Employees are paid full salary for any week they work, regardless of how much time they work.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,353

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Maybe, hard to say. It doesn't apply to all salaried workers, and i would hate to see a one-size-fits-all, like always happens when the feds get involved.

    States rights anyone...

    I've seen places where some salaried workers work 30 hrs a week, and other 60, for the same job. They are being paid by the job... Just that simple... Simply work more efficient...

    If the job isn't for you, change jobs.
    Are you offering to find a new job for those that are being abused? Otherwise STFU

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •