Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 236

Thread: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

  1. #31
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Flexability is one of the big reasons. A few of the people with the company the longest took a pay cut, as we were put under a lower (non-exempt) band. So, our max salaries have decreased which affects things like salary relativety - which can effect raises and the like.
    As long as an employer lets one have flexibility, I see your point. Some employers, however, don't let you do that. They're certainly under no obligation to do so. If one gets comp time? I completely agree. Salary's better.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,007

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Why not make it hours over 20? And triple pay? If we're going to be arbitary, why not max it out? If the goal is a living wage, lets just get it over with and say every employee must be paid X dollars a week minimum. Then get rid of all the rest of the rules.

  3. #33
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,281

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    If you work 40 hours, you're not working overtime. But if you've earned that money through your hard work, it's not someone else's money as stated in the OP.
    Thanks, I'm aware of the definition of overtime.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  4. #34
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Obama is buying votes that's certain - and he's doing it for the mid-term elections so DNC seats in the Senate can be protected. This won't be the first time but I'm not sure it's going to work. I do agree that for the average worker this is a good thing and a few extra sheckles in our pockets helps - every bit helps. Will those few bucks really amount to much? Again, the unintended consequences of this action will I believe, retract the businesses affected. Now when OT is needed, businesses will plan or extend timelines so OT is not needed... there are many ways around having to pay OT.

    I also don't think the few tens of thousands of people this may help between now and November 2014 will see a significant uptick in their end of year pay, nor will this move erase the deception, scandals and out right lies this administration has inflicted on us, nor will it erase the stain of the ACA. I think Republicans should embrace this... not pick a fight, but make sure their constituents know that while this may help a few such a bribe for votes doesn't erase the errors of the past.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #35
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,435

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    I didn't see in the OP if this order would be for hourly wage earners or salaried wage earners.

    If it is for salaried wage earners, this would essentially turn them into hourly wage earners.

    How can the federal government void employment contracts between employees and employers?

  6. #36
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,819

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I didn't see in the OP if this order would be for hourly wage earners or salaried wage earners.

    If it is for salaried wage earners, this would essentially turn them into hourly wage earners.

    How can the federal government void employment contracts between employees and employers?
    If your name is Obama, you can do anything you want to do. All you have to do is issue an Executive Order.
    TANSTAAFL

    An armed society is a polite society.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  7. #37
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    If your name is Obama, you can do anything you want to do. All you have to do is issue an Executive Order.
    Sooner or later that has to be challenged and revoked. If it doesn't, it will be to all of our detriment.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #38
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    I just saw the episode of "Between The Ferns" interview with Obama and I ask does he possess any sense of dignity for the office? As the first and probably last black president he has all but trashed the position through violations of the constitution and behavior more suited to a 15 year old pot head.
    Right..... because you've already tried a black president. Why would another black president be any different.

    And you wonder why the right is considered to be racist.

  9. #39
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Right..... because you've already tried a black president. Why would another black president be any different.

    And you wonder why the right is considered to be racist.
    Does he wonder? The right is considered to be racist because that is the narrative those opposed to Republicans want and need to pursue for political gain. There are racist people of all colors, political views, economic backgrounds, etc...
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #40
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: OVERTIME OVERHAUL Obama reportedly to issue order expanding eligibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Straight to hyperbole in post #2!

    I like being salaried because it gives me more flexibility in scheduling my time. I normally work 40-45 hours a week and am certainly not "owned". I've worked a number of salaried jobs in the last 20 years and was never required to work an exorbitant number of hours.
    Consider yourself to be one of the fortunate ones.

    If you're in one of the high-tech science, software, and engineering fields then 45 hours is is a vacation week. I'd say that you're looking more at 40-80hrs. Do you know how many PhD students commit suicide because of the hours and the pressure? And much like medical doctors, the ones who survive end up as complete workaholics.

    I like what I do, so I'm happy to put in whatever hours I need to get the job done, but there is a problem which needs to be addressed. Much like the effect concussions in the NFL, you can say it's our choice; but that doesn't make it right to not take action.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •