Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59

Thread: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

  1. #21
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Particularly in a district held easily by Republicans for almost 50 yrs.

    You need to look at the totality. The libertarian drew from mostly Republican inclined voters and the victor was a tea party republican running against an opponent who was probably a fairly conservative Democrat.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 03-12-14 at 09:09 AM.

  2. #22
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

    For those that say "Republicans" have held the seat for 50 years, you need to correct yourself. It was held by one guy for 50 years. Every analyst said, for years, that when Young died/retired, it would be a Democratic party seat. Case closed.

    Here's an article from 3 months ago calling this election a "must win" for Democrats.

    The Race Democrats Can't Afford to Lose | Rothenblog

    Sink ran for governor in 2010, and only lost by 61k votes, after being outspent by 70 million. Not only that, Sink captured 51% of the vote in this district during that election, matching what Obama got in 2012. Sink also had a huge money advantage over Jolly, 1 million to 175k in January.

    The DCCC sent out a press release on Oct 9th of last year, saying that "FL-13 will elect a Democrat in this competitive district that twice elected President Obama". Contrast that with thier press release from yesterday, which said "FL-13 is a heavily Republican district".

    Spin spin spin.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

    This was a huge loss for the DNC. more due to the amount of money that they spent on the race only to lose it.

    as for the Gov race neither candidate is good. i prefer scott to crist simply because he doesn't really pass anything and is bringing jobs.
    crist is nothing more than a political hack.

    wasn't that good of a Gov. then sold out to the teacher unions to try and gain more political favor. Got mad when he lost the primary for senator to rubio.
    ran as an independent to try and get in only to lose to rubio in the main election by a landslide.

    now is a democrat. i have no use for him and neither should the people of florida. he is a sell out.

    not only that he will put the state of FL in a deeper hole with him wanting to expand medicaid. good thing that the Fl congress is mostly republican and usually stays that way.
    so he won't be able to expand it without there approval.

  4. #24
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    O.K. would portend be a better word?
    Not really no. My comment was me just stating what I hope for the future, not what is going to happen.

  5. #25
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,026

    Re: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I don't think it is a big indicator or anything like that...But it does follow what polls are saying right now about how the people feel about O-care.

    On that an update from MY OWN company insurance....

    We just got a packet this week it laid out:

    My deductibles are going up by 75%
    My co-pays stay the same
    My prescriptions go from a flat $20 co pay to $20 co pay + 20%
    My ER cost are going up by 200% (from $100 to $300)
    and My premium is going up by 40%

    Plus they dropped my wife from coverage because her work offers insurance as well, however it is better in some places, and worse in others....

    So in essence, you could say that my premiums just doubled plus a 40% increase. You want to know what the average person like me is going to be thinking about going into the polls? It is that Obama, Pelosi, and the demo's promised that "the average family would see a $2500. savings in their premium cost per year." That was a lie....That "if you like your insurance, you'll be able to keep it" was a lie, at least in my wife's case. And I am going to be awfully scared at how demo's are purposely breaking the HC system.

    I am going to be thinking of that among other things that demo's have done, and it doesn't look good for them.
    So you're insurance coverage was garbage and now you have better insurance and it cost a little more. Got it.

  6. #26
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,842

    Re: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Eloquence once again is not the friend of GOP over-confident posters.
    Gloat for 5+ months until this exact race is run again, a race in which GOPs have been in charge for 40+ years.
    See ya in the mid-terms, starting with unpopular GOV Scott, hurting the down ticket .
    Yeah the mid terms will be here before you know it. Early polling looks really bad for Democrats. Democrats in tough races especially in red states can't distance themselves far enough from Obama, Pelosi and Reid.

    What is so telling about this election, Jolly wasn't your typical GOP candidate. You know married, with children mom and apple pie. He was just recently divorced and his new much younger girlfriend, who is a lobbyist, accompanied him to his events.

    Jolly though he worked for the former deceased representative, did not have name association with the people as Sink did just 4 years ago running for governor against Scott.

    It's being reported that the Democrats spent 4-1 over the Republicans on this race. Guess money really can't buy you love.

    Even though Sink did not personally vote for Obamacare, she is a member of the party that did and that was enough to resonate with the voters that another Democrat in the House at this time was a bad thing.


    Yep I'm predicting a tsunami this mid-term for Republicans. Now would be a good time to stock up on some good spirits worthy of a such an occasion. Cheers!

  7. #27
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Yeah the mid terms will be here before you know it. Early polling looks really bad for Democrats. Democrats in tough races especially in red states can't distance themselves far enough from Obama, Pelosi and Reid.

    What is so telling about this election, Jolly wasn't your typical GOP candidate. You know married, with children mom and apple pie. He was just recently divorced and his new much younger girlfriend, who is a lobbyist, accompanied him to his events.

    Jolly though he worked for the former deceased representative, did not have name association with the people as Sink did just 4 years ago running for governor against Scott.

    It's being reported that the Democrats spent 4-1 over the Republicans on this race. Guess money really can't buy you love.

    Even though Sink did not personally vote for Obamacare, she is a member of the party that did and that was enough to resonate with the voters that another Democrat in the House at this time was a bad thing.


    Yep I'm predicting a tsunami this mid-term for Republicans. Now would be a good time to stock up on some good spirits worthy of a such an occasion. Cheers!
    This was a republican leaning district, so democrats faced a difficult race. Democrats usually have the edge in high turnout elections because that is when their voters usually come out in force.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  8. #28
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,842

    Re: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    This was a republican leaning district, so democrats faced a difficult race. Democrats usually have the edge in high turnout elections because that is when their voters usually come out in force.
    Sorry United but it has already been shown that this district was trending Democrat in the fact that it carried Obama twice and Sink by a 2% lead over Scott during the governor's race 4 years ago. I think you would agree all three of these elections were high turnout events. This one was played as being just as important by the Democrats months ago and it is obvious with the amount of money they poured into the campaign and having Bill Clinton stumping for Sink they truly felt that way.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Sorry United but it has already been shown that this district was trending Democrat in the fact that it carried Obama twice and Sink by a 2% lead over Scott during the governor's race 4 years ago. I think you would agree all three of these elections were high turnout events. This one was played as being just as important by the Democrats months ago and it is obvious with the amount of money they poured into the campaign and having Bill Clinton stumping for Sink they truly felt that way.
    Democrats lost because their supporters did not get out to vote.

    It was a low turnout election
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  10. #30
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,842

    Re: Republican David Jolly beats Alex Sink in Florida special election

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Democrats lost because their supporters did not get out to vote.

    It was a low turnout election
    Yes the election was a low turnout event, but the pundits all had Sink in the lead until a few weeks ago when the ads intensified over the failure of Obamacare. The Democrats had nothing to counter. They had their get the vote out game in full force. Did it ever occur to you that those seniors who just lost their Medicare Advantage and other cuts to Medicare C thanks to Obamacare and who are paying more for their coverage related to the Obamacare ads had something to do with it? Seniors are usually the solid block of voters that do vote in these types of elections.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •