Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 800

Thread: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

  1. #671
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I'm not belly aching, What I'm saying is that Democrats are not taking white people's money and giving it to black people.
    The reality of American society is that blacks and Hispanics are disproportionately represented in poverty and lower income than whites and Asian. So clearly, the taxes raised from a white family earning $100,000 per year are not being redistributed to a black family earning $100,000 per year. What's going on is that there are more poor blacks than there are poor whites and so these transfers are taking place. This is leaving out all of the other income support programs that the Democrats push which benefit minorities, like preferential hiring into government, like minority business programs.

  2. #672
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No, it is a fact that it was put forward in this thread.



    No it's a fact. Republican strategists have devised code words like "welfare queen" to target anger at blacks, to make it seem like blacks, "welfare queens", are getting white people's money. It's been well documented and is a fact.



    Well I'm as dumb as a bag of hammers, but I do read. And what I have said that Republican strategists have deliberately done is true and has been well documented.

    I may be stupid, but I know this, Democrats are not taking white people's money and giving it to black people.
    Oh, I don't know if Democrats are taking white people's money and giving it to blacks and I'm probably not as well read as you are...so, I wonder if you can point me to some of this "well documented" stuff about what Republican strategists have done?
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  3. #673
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    The reality of American society is that blacks and Hispanics are disproportionately represented in poverty and lower income than whites and Asian. So clearly, the taxes raised from a white family earning $100,000 per year are not being redistributed to a black family earning $100,000 per year. What's going on is that there are more poor blacks than there are poor whites and so these transfers are taking place. This is leaving out all of the other income support programs that the Democrats push which benefit minorities, like preferential hiring into government, like minority business programs.
    The problem is that it's a distortion because it's income, not race based.

  4. #674
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Do you really think black people are the only people on welfare? Not only that, but I'm black and I know no one is giving me white people's money. It's garbage.
    Of course I don't think that.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #675
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The problem is that it's a distortion because it's income, not race based.
    And the criminal justice system jails people who commit crimes and yet we keep hearing about how the criminal justice system is racist because so many black men are in prison.

    People can point to the neutrality of the law, you can point to income being redistributed on the basis of earned income, but the racial effects are there and they're noticed.

  6. #676
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Oh, I don't know if Democrats are taking white people's money and giving it to blacks and I'm probably not as well read as you are...so, I wonder if you can point me to some of this "well documented" stuff about what Republican strategists have done?
    Sure, not a problem.

    Jonathan Weiler: Lee Atwater and the GOP's Race Problem

    It has been the stuff of legend for years now -- an interview that canonized GOP political consultant Lee Atwater gave while he was working in the Reagan White House in 1981. In that sit-down, Atwater explained how the Republican Party had so successfully executed the "Southern Strategy" of convincing large numbers of Southern Whites to vote Republican while navigating a new world in which overt prejudice was no longer politically viable. How? By replacing formerly overtly racist appeals, embodied in the n-word (which, Atwater noted, "you can't say" anymore) with coded language instead. These coded appeals -- "dog-whistles" -- whether about busing or, even more "abstract," as Atwater put it, things like tax cuts and other economic issues, would have the effect of "hurting blacks worse than whites," appealing to the constituencies the GOP was trying to attract, all while affording the party plausible deniability with respect to racism.

    Now the full interview, 42 minutes long, has been unearthed by James Carter IV, who dug up the Romney 47 percent tape. As Rick Perlstein wrote over in The Nation today in describing the release of the tape, since first being highlighted in a column by Bob Herbert in the New York Times in 2005, Atwater's "n-gger, n-gger, n-gger" quote has emerged as a kind of Rosetta Stone for unlocking the political language the American right has been using for decades to siphon off white voters, especially in the South, from their formerly traditional home in the Democratic Party.

    One of the striking facts about the just-completed presidential campaign was the degree to which the GOP barely concerned itself with dressing up its appeals in the kinds of camouflaged terms about which Atwater spoke. These included Rick Santorum's unprompted comments about Blacks and welfare in Iowa in January (which he later tried to dodge by insisting he'd said "blah people"), the Romney campaign's baseless and ongoing insistence that the Obama administration was getting ready to end the work requirements for welfare and repeated over-the-top diatribes from high-profile surrogates, including former New Hampshire Governor and Chief of Staff to President George H. W. Bush, John Sununu (Obama's "lazy and "not that bright,") and former Speaker Newt Gingrich.

  7. #677
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Sure, not a problem.
    First off, linking to hate-sites is probably not a good idea.

    Secondly, it's amazing how liberals always manage to hear these dog whistles which they claim are aimed at conservatives whites but the conservative whites never manage to hear them. How does that work?

    Busing was a freaking hate crime that liberals inflicted upon people. There's absolutely nothing to be ashamed about regarding using busing as an election issue.

  8. #678
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    And the criminal justice system jails people who commit crimes and yet we keep hearing about how the criminal justice system is racist because so many black men are in prison.

    People can point to the neutrality of the law, you can point to income being redistributed on the basis of earned income, but the racial effects are there and they're noticed.
    You are comparing apples and oranges here. Racial profiling is a known fact. You can't come up with a case where a Democrat has taken money from a white person and given it to a black person because he is black.

  9. #679
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    First off, linking to hate-sites is probably not a good idea.

    Secondly, it's amazing how liberals always manage to hear these dog whistles which they claim are aimed at conservatives whites but the conservative whites never manage to hear them. How does that work?

    Busing was a freaking hate crime that liberals inflicted upon people. There's absolutely nothing to be ashamed about regarding using busing as an election issue.
    Hate site is a distortion. And that's the problem that Republicans have. They have to resort to distortions when they have weak arguments and are exposed. Here's a book about it

    Up from Conservatism: Michael Lind: 9780684831862: Amazon.com: Books

  10. #680
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    You are comparing apples and oranges here. Racial profiling is a known fact. You can't come up with a case where a Democrat has taken money from a white person and given it to a black person because he is black.
    Perhaps it's just that black persons tend to make less money on average, in part because a higher percentage receive welfare, compared to white persons (although how you define "white" and "black" apart from self-designation I don't know). At least, I think that's currently the case? Perhaps I'm wrong though.

    I think a better statement might be "people who make less than X receive money from people who make more than X". Even though that is not at all correct, since accuracy would dictate something more along the lines of "people who make more than X are required to give money to the government, which keeps some of it, wastes more of it, and gives the rest to people who make less than X".
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •