Page 53 of 80 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 800

Thread: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

  1. #521
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    The extreme conservatives are losing, but the party will regroup and in the future be a united party like they used to be.
    Perhaps. Again, I will reiterate three things I think the Republican party needs to do to make itself more attractive:

    1. Stop placing an over emphasis on the interests of finance and employers and start looking out more for the interests of working people. This notion that the interests of finance and employers automatically take care of the interests of working people is flawed. You need to look at for all of them.

    2. Stop pandering to racists.

    3. Stop placing an over emphasis on projecting US power.

  2. #522
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Its assumed to exist, and our founding documents merely recognize them. No burden of proof exists on my part.
    That's right, and as a result of that, there is no way to objectively state that a person has a right or not. Without government, that would merely be an subjective exercise.

  3. #523
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    what makes you so special that you merit your own special thread? We are discussing a subject already under consideration.

    Does your argument hinge the word unalienable as opposed to the word inalienable and do you ascribe a different meaning to one over the other? Or do you accept the undeniable historical evidence from jefferson himself that the two terms can be used interchangeably without changing the meaning?

    And so i understand this idea you have put forth that rights cannot be taken away - is it your contention that the right to keep and bear arms is one of those inalienable rights that cannot be taken away?
    haymarket....our discussion is not *breaking new*

  4. #524
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,187

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    since i stated government...


    "ANARCHY"
    So under Stalin, or Mao or IN the time of the Roman Empire there was anarchy?

  5. #525
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    haymarket....our discussion is not *breaking new*
    Does your argument hinge the word unalienable as opposed to the word inalienable and do you ascribe a different meaning to one over the other? Or do you accept the undeniable historical evidence from jefferson himself that the two terms can be used interchangeably without changing the meaning?

    And so i understand this idea you have put forth that rights cannot be taken away - is it your contention that the right to keep and bear arms is one of those inalienable rights that cannot be taken away?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #526
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That's right, and as a result of that, there is no way to objectively state that a person has a right or not. Without government, that would merely be an subjective exercise.
    What did I just say? ITS ASSUMED TO EXIST. There is nothing subjective here. They exist, and the are not granted or "allowed" by govt. Thats it.

  7. #527
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    What did I just say? ITS ASSUMED TO EXIST. There is nothing subjective here. They exist, and the are not granted or "allowed" by govt. Thats it.
    The point is this, I can say I have the right to own slaves, you can say I don't. There is no way for us to objectively determine whether I have that right or not. What we can say is that the government says I don't have the right to own slaves and agree to live as if that is the case.

    Again, some people feel the states did indeed have the right to secede and it was wrong to prohibit them from doing so. Some feel they had no such right. There is no way to objectively determine whether they have the right, it is a subjective value judgement. However, what we can do is say that the government said they don't have the right, and behave as if that is the case.

    That's the point.

  8. #528
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Can you name those progressives who have changed ? You can't. The radical internationalist left from the fringe needed a label to hide behind and after they dirtied the liberal label they moved over to the progressive movement and hijacked the progressive movement. The progressive movement wasn't a Democrat or Republican movement. During the Progressive era there were as many progressives in the Democrat party as there were in the Republican party. A true progressive is a nationalist socialist. Those progressives of today are something else, mostly Marxist, radical leftist, internationalist socialist, etc. Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Dillingham, Bellamy were all progressives, some were Democrats some were Republicans but all were racist. You can't call yourself a progressive unless you believe that northern Europeans are superior to other ethnicities and races. It's a possibility that the progressives of today are still closet racist since they believe that certain minorities are inferior and can't compete in society and need special privileges and protections to compete in society.
    You sure fling poo and hope everyone is too busy ducking to read it. What whacky radical Progressives do you refer to? You are good at throwing trite phrases and labels about.

    Not sure what you think a nationalist socialist is, but the Teddy Progressives were far from that. If you read their party platform from 1912 is a curious mix of marxist, socialist, strong nationalism, and woman's rights. Can call 'em lots of things but not Nazis.

    Actually you miss the point of this thing called PROGRESS. Once it was a matter of fact not to be questioned that there was a thing called the White Man's Burden. Now not so much. You attempt to both freeze and parse the category as you see fit.

    It is funny how a CON thinks he knows what 'the other guy' stands for, more like what he wants to fashion to be his strawman to argue against.

  9. #529
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The point is this, I can say I have the right to own slaves, you can say I don't. There is no way for us to objectively determine whether I have that right or not. What we can say is that the government says I don't have the right to own slaves and agree to live as if that is the case.

    Again, some people feel the states did indeed have the right to secede and it was wrong to prohibit them from doing so. Some feel they had no such right. There is no way to objectively determine whether they have the right, it is a subjective value judgement. However, what we can do is say that the government said they don't have the right, and behave as if that is the case.

    That's the point.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, government never granted you free speech, it does however protect your right to it.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  10. #530
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Perhaps. Again, I will reiterate three things I think the Republican party needs to do to make itself more attractive:

    1. Stop placing an over emphasis on the interests of finance and employers and start looking out more for the interests of working people. This notion that the interests of finance and employers automatically take care of the interests of working people is flawed. You need to look at for all of them.

    2. Stop pandering to racists.

    3. Stop placing an over emphasis on projecting US power.
    Point #1 is pretty solid.

    Point #2 is from lala-land. It's the Democratic Party which is always pushing race-based policies, so how on Earth can opposition to race-based policies be indicative of racism?

    Point #3 is also pretty good, but if you look at the various factions in the American polity, the isolationists are found in the Republican Party. It's the Democrats who are the most eager to engage in the internationalist view, to project power, to use American might for society-building experiments, to grant foreign aid, etc. I'm not saying that this doesn't go on in the Republican Party, I'm agreeing that it should be curtailed because simply pointing to the Democrats and excusing Republican behavior by saying "They do it too" is feeble.

Page 53 of 80 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •