Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 800

Thread: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

  1. #511
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you have many many rights, those which are not enumerated by the constitution, ..fall under the 9th amendment.

    your rights should ONLY be curtailed, when you violate the rights of other people, or cause a health and saftey risk to the public.

    if neither one of those actions takes places, then who is the victim, of you exercising your rights.....you have to have a victim, for things to be unlawful.


    the founders were making the point that your rights don't come from man but instead a higher power....." because no man has the power to give another man a right".........no man is higher than another man.
    When the founders used to words "We hold these truths to be self evident", they were proclaiming that they were not going to prove that inalienable rights exist. Rather they were taking it to be axiomatic.

    We cannot objectively prove in an empirical sense that inalienable rights exist. As a result of that, we cannot say, in an objective sense, whether a person has a right until the government gives them permission to exercise that right. Because we cannot prove through empirical means that a right exists, we cannot say objectively that a group of people have a right until the government gives them permission to exercise that right. In a similar way we cannot say objectively that a person does not have a right until government prohibits them from exercising a right.

    For example, the southern states felt they had the right to secede from the United States. And in fact, some people to this very day feel that it was a violation of the rights of the southern states when they were prohibited from doing so. However, despite such assertions, the US government, through violent coercion, forced the southern states to remain in the union. Not only that, but some of the southern states were coerced into ratifying the 14th amendment. The point is that the government that was provided for in the Constitution determines what rights, persons taken individually, as a group, or state governments have.

  2. #512
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    The GOP is nothing more than a tool used by oil/mining cos., the offense industry, and Wallstreet to advance its interests in Congress, by getting pols elected who can tell stupid people (i. e. red-state konservatives) that the "liberals" are going to take their guns and Bibles away, let Muslims "win", and make America non-White.

    That's it.

    Hence, the GOP's survival ultimately depends on a continual supply of stupid voters who fall for that crap. So as that supply diminishes, the power of the GOP diminishes.
    Some of that is true of the Democratic party as well.

  3. #513
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,616

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    One can hope.......
    Since we are a two party system, and I don't see that changing in the future, it would seem to be the only option.
    "Being President doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

  4. #514
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    As a result of that, we cannot say, in an objective sense, whether a person has a right until the government gives them permission to exercise that right.
    One of the dumbest things Ive heard here.

  5. #515
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    It really is unfortunate that whenever States rights are brought up that old nag slavery is as well. I understand that is what we've been conditioned to believe, the re-education of the population and the hagiography of that SOB every one thinks was so great, but no one supports slavery, no one wants it to make a come back , no one, well, no one in their right mind thinks it acceptable. I'm not saying that you're putting that forth, your comment wasn't in that context, just a knee-jerk reaction on my part to seeing that word in the discussion. A far superior discussion, one that doesn't have the emotional baggage and reinterpretation of timely events which seem never to be brought up is the Kentucky & Virginia Resolutions in response to the Alien & Sedition Acts. Now that's a conversation worth having, but I digress...

    Of course, people of different backgrounds, ethnicity, or behavior can live together, they simply need to live together. They need to mind their own business. See, I don't give a fig if someone is gay or not. I don't give a fig whether someone wants to light up a joint, hell, if the wife wasn't around I might take a toke or two myself, I don't want to make a widespread blanket for denying a woman the ability to have an abortion -- It's wrong as hell, I'll never say otherwise, it is a down right abomination but if it's not in my community than it is none of my business. My argument on all these issues however, is that my opinion, as it pertains to you, where you live, how you live, is irrelevant. I shouldn't have a say in the matter so long as I am not in your realm of influence. Meaning the State and county level is where these decisions should be made based on the issue at hand.

    Legally, any and all rights a heterosexual couple enjoy so too should a homosexual couple as it relates to the relationship of the government. Meaning hereditary rights, next of kin, all of it should be across the board equal. My personal opinion is that the government should not be the moral decider of such things in the first place. They should merely have a custodial role in regards to marital contracts. Holding on file said contracts and fulfill the role of arbiter in dispute and divorce.

    Now, with that being said, and as I'll reiterate my belief that every single person in this country race, gender, creed, or behavior should be equal in the eyes of the law, the government, in how they interact with one another -- I do not believe that that translates to how we must interact with one another. The government has gone too far in its encroachment on businesses. I myself love money. I love it. Can't live without it. As such I myself welcome one and all to participate in trading with me. Come, Come, Welcome, Welcome!!! Please, buy my goods, please give me money. Thank you and good day!. However.... It is not the government's place to decide for me whom I shall do business with. It is not the government's place to decide who I shall enter contract with, what the terms may be, the conditions of my association. If you are gay, a woman, black, latino, asian, what have you -- please shop at my store! If another doesn't want your business, that's their business and it is bad for business. But it should be their right to make poor business decisions.

    As it concerns Mary Jane and abortion. These should be decided in my opinion at the County level of government. While I begrudgingly hold the view that a woman who wants to kill her unborn should under Federal and even State jurisdiction be afforded the ability to do so, I for one don't believe it should be made easy nor do I believe that the practice should be allowed where a community at large believes it is such an abomination (and it is) that they don't want it in their town and surrounding community.

    As for the old girl Mary, well that to me is no different than alcohol. As such if a county wants it, light'em up. If it don't, than a dry county it is. Simple.


    Mayor Daley, the quintessential crook of a politician. Everyone knew it, no one could prove it. He's the perfect example. Everyone expects politicians to be crooked. What they demand however is a certain level of competence. Daley for all his faults was competent for the most part and that's why he ruled this city and could have gone on ruling this city for as long as he desired. The rest of the politicians share in his crookedness, they may even have his invincibility -- Obama surely seems to have this down -- but what they don't have, and Obama certainly doesn't have, is his level of competence.

    That's what has been lacking from American government for far too long a time. Competence. Return this to our government and the people will let the den of thieves do as they'd like.
    I really like this response. Let me have some time to digest so that I can give it the type of response it deserves.

    Again, I really enjoyed that and agree with some of the points.

  6. #516
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    When the founders used to words "We hold these truths to be self evident", they were proclaiming that they were not going to prove that inalienable rights exist. Rather they were taking it to be axiomatic.

    We cannot objectively prove in an empirical sense that inalienable rights exist. As a result of that, we cannot say, in an objective sense, whether a person has a right until the government gives them permission to exercise that right. Because we cannot prove through empirical means that a right exists, we cannot say objectively that a group of people have a right until the government gives them permission to exercise that right. In a similar way we cannot say objectively that a person does not have a right until government prohibits them from exercising a right.

    For example, the southern states felt they had the right to secede from the United States. And in fact, some people to this very day feel that it was a violation of the rights of the southern states when they were prohibited from doing so. However, despite such assertions, the US government, through violent coercion, forced the southern states to remain in the union. Not only that, but some of the southern states were coerced into ratifying the 14th amendment. The point is that the government that was provided for in the Constitution determines what rights, persons taken individually, as a group, or state governments have.
    first... i am going to move your post, because we cannot discuss this here, because it is not *breaking news*, and move it to the constitution section of the forum and answer it there.

  7. #517
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    One of the dumbest things Ive heard here.
    It's not dumb at all. The first thing you would have to do is prove that such a thing as a right exists, and you can't do it. All you can do is assume that rights exist. Please tell me how you objectively tell whether a person has a right. If you could do that, we would not need courts.

  8. #518
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    Since we are a two party system, and I don't see that changing in the future, it would seem to be the only option.
    I suppose it depends on what the party turns into. If it becomes more extreme and accepts TP leadership.....we may see a one Party system for all intent and purpose.

    Alienating large parts of the voting public is simply not going to work.

  9. #519
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    first... i am going to move your post, because we cannot discuss this here, because it is not *breaking news*, and move it to the constitution section of the forum and answer it there.
    OK. Fair enough. Thanks for your patience and engaging with me in this discussion. Personally, I enjoy it.

  10. #520
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It's not dumb at all. The first thing you would have to do is prove that such a thing as a right exists, and you can't do it. All you can do is assume that rights exist. Please tell me how you objectively tell whether a person has a right. If you could do that, we would not need courts.
    Its assumed to exist, and our founding documents merely recognize them. No burden of proof exists on my part.

Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •