Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 800

Thread: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

  1. #451
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    The problem I see with a 3/4 party system is what the #1 or #2 party must give up to the 3rd party to form a coalition.
    The USA has not had to have new elections due to no confidence, even if folks feel that way right now.
    We already have those in our two parties, such as the TEAs in the GOP and the CBC in the DEMs .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I think there are merits and demerits to both a 2-party and a multi-party system. Both are better than a single party, IMO.
    Physics is Phun

  2. #452
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    thank you for posting on-topic!! I was just coming in to apologize for letting other posters pull me off-topic.
    I don't mind going off tangent sometimes. I actually enjoyed the discussion on the constitution.

    But I'm easy I guess.

  3. #453
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Then they would be Democrats
    No they wouldn't. They would have a much more appealing Republican party.

  4. #454
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    The problem I see with a 3/4 party system is what the #1 or #2 party must give up to the 3rd party to form a coalition.
    The USA has not had to have new elections due to no confidence, even if folks feel that way right now.
    We already have those in our two parties, such as the TEAs in the GOP and the CBC in the DEMs .
    I think the concession process is a positive thing though - too often I see one party just bypass any kind of debate these days. Democrats do it just as much as republicans, when they have control.

    On the one hand I think that on key issues and points of policy, there should be a line drawn, and to pass it requires serious concessions from the opposing group If they don't draw any real position lines, their ideological positions are not really positions so much as claims, and they appear (to me at least) as just another group of politicians who have no principles.

    IMO many of the positions taken by both republicans and democrats are poor ones - and it reflects badly on everyone involved.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #455
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    IMO many of the positions taken by both republicans and democrats are poor ones - and it reflects badly on everyone involved.
    Let's look at one position adopted in the Ryan/Murray budget last December.
    It called for decreasing the amount of COLA for Veteran's pensions by one of the percents and would have save over $6 Billion.
    My Father was a 30-year Veteran and my Mom still gets SS and Civil Service/Air Force.
    She would have lost a little--I would have made it up.

    But Veteran's lobbying groups pounded on Capital Hill and both parties were blaming each other and Obama.
    If we can't save 6 billion on an easy choice, we will never fix the budget.
    Without means-testing of those who can take a hit, we will go over 50% of the defense budget on the VA.

    As a teacher who receives a pension, I can assure you that public pensions as we know them aren't long for this century.
    Tens and Hundreds of Billions are owed by States and Municipalities that cannot be sustained.
    Physics is Phun

  6. #456
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I don't mind going off tangent sometimes. I actually enjoyed the discussion on the constitution.

    But I'm easy I guess.
    personally, I like easy men... whooops!!!! way off-topic! (smile)

  7. #457
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Sorry but I never made that argument.
    No? Ok then, so what would be your argument? Do you just desire to say how I'm wrong without presenting a position of your own? Many people have dared to say that rights come from ruling bodies already in this thread, so what will you say on the matter? Will you say something else? Considering I know you and your position, I doubt it.

  8. #458
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Interesting. A couple of questions

    1. Why do you say gay rights is a misnomer?
    2. What exactly is buggery?

    I think you have some valid points here. However, I think your assertion that somehow giving states rights precedence will somehow decrease the divisions in this country is wrong.

    But overall, not bad.
    1. No one has a "right" to be gay.
    2. Phil Robertson aka Duck Commander got into a bit of a flap about this very thing.

    As it has always been to some degree the entire country has a bad case of "Small Town Syndrome". The advent of the Internet and all the social media sites that followed only hyper-inflated this. To quote an old Hank Williams song "Mind your own business.....You've got to mind your own business....if you mind your own business than you won't be minding mine...."


    This agenda to force different groups of people together, tolerance, diversity, all inclusive multiculturalism has been the greatest single detriment to the community -- great and small that has ever been known to man.

    We're always going to be divisive. We're always going to be fractional and factional, the difference in where the ability to decide social issues lies is that when given back to the States what should be theirs to decide you'll stem the creeping isolationism which is what will end up really tearing this country apart...
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  9. #459
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,943
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No they wouldn't. They would have a much more appealing Republican party.
    The Republican Party never had a whole bunch of appeal. Now individual candidates, yes. But it is getting so that neither party has much appeal. Feast your eyes on this, a CBS poll. Both parties are pretty much in the tank these days.

    Information from inside this CBS poll, there are a lot of interesting stuff/subjects polled.
    http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...ll-results.pdf

    Do you view the Republican Party favorably or unfavorably?
    2/19-23/14 All favorably 33% unfavorably 61% don’t know 5%
    REPUBLICANS 67% favorable 29% unfavorable 4% don’t know
    DEMOCRATS 10% favorable 89% unfavorable 2% don’t know
    INDEPENDENTS 31% favorable 60% unfavorable 9% don’t know

    Do you view the Democratic Party favorably or unfavorably?
    2/19-23/14 All favorably 42% unfavorably 53% don’t know 5%
    REPUBLICANS 9% favorable 90% unfavorable 1% don’t know
    DEMOCRATS 85% favorable 14% unfavorable 1% don’t know
    INDEPENDENTS 30% favorable 61% unfavorable 9% don’t know

    What is interesting is that independents have the same favorable/unfavorable view/percentages for both parties. 3/5ths of all independents dislike both political parties.

    If the 2014 election for U.S. House of Representatives were being held today, would
    you vote for the Republican candidate or the Democratic candidate in your district?

    All Republican 42% Democrat 39% Other 3% don’t know/depends 16%
    REPUBLICANS 86% Republican 3% Democrats 0% other 11% don’t know/depends
    DEMOCRATS 3% Republican 85% Democrat 0% other 12% don’t know/depends
    INDEPENDENTS 43% Republican 29% Democrat 5% other 23% don’t know/depends
    It is interesting to note that 5% of independents say they will vote for a third party while 23% haven’t decided yet although as of this poll independents are vastly on the side of the Republicans. Those don’t knows/depends could easily change that though. Why the huge undecided among independents? Perhaps it is these who view both parties as evil or at least unfavorable.

    In general, do you think the Republican Party has the same priorities for the country
    as you have, or don’t they?
    All Yes, they do 35% No, they don’t 59% DK/NA 6%
    REPUBLICANS yes, they do 66% No, they don’t 29% DK/NA 5%
    DEMOCRATS yes, they do 12% No, they don’t 85% DK/NA 2%
    INDEPENDENTS yes, they do 35% No, they don’t 57% DK/NA 8%


    In general, do you think the Democratic Party has the same priorities for the country
    as you have, or don’t they?

    All Yes, they do 38% No, they don’t 57% DK/NA 5%
    REPUBLICANS yes, they do 7% No, they don’t 91% DK/NA 2%
    DEMOCRATS yes, they do 76% No, they don’t 21% DK/NA 3%
    INDEPENDENTS yes, they do 30% No, they don’t 63% DK/NA 7%

    Once again the interesting thing is the independents who view the Republicans by 5 points as having the same view as they do 35-30 and don’t have 57-63. But even so, around 3/5ths of all independents think neither party has the same priorities for the country as they do.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #460
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No? Ok then, so what would be your argument? Do you just desire to say how I'm wrong without presenting a position of your own? Many people have dared to say that rights come from ruling bodies already in this thread, so what will you say on the matter? Will you say something else? Considering I know you and your position, I doubt it.
    My position on rights is very clear and is stated in this very thread earlier today. Rights come from the will of the people who want a specific behavior recognized by the government as a right.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •