Page 39 of 80 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 800

Thread: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

  1. #381
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The very core principle of rights is that everyone has the absolute right to be “free” from aggression in their own person and property. Therefore, any actions towards the person or property of another is a violation of their rights. If all men have a right to their person and property the question is can the government remove these rights by either violating their person or property or by simply failing to protect them. The answer is of course no, because as should be clear by the above statement, it is their existence alone that grants them the authority over their own person and facilities that enables them to acquire property. Any sort of aggression towards the person or property of someone will be an act of aggression, be that by government, which is nothing more than a collection of men, or by any citizen of the world. The action is the same, the results are the same, and thus, it is no more possible for the government to act aggressively towards you and not violate your rights than it is for any other person or body of persons. There is no difference regardless of what people might pretend between the actions of government and the actions of any other man, and it is therefore paramount that the government only act in the defense of peoples rights, much like you can act in defense of your neighbors rights.

    So to answer your post, no, there is no one but yourself that is confused here.
    Not one thing in your post changes the reality that an ability to perform a physical act is one thing while the exercise of a legal right is quite another. And all the therefores and leaps made from them in the world do not change that
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #382
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    A new Pew Research survey seems to indicate that millenials, the age group from 18 to 33, tend to favor gay rights and marijuana legalization. and tend to vote for Democrats. I think it is highly likely that Democrats have embraced these two issues to drive a stake in the heart of the Republican party. Recall recently how Obama spoke in favor of marijuana legalization and came out in favor of gay rights.

    Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out? - The Week
    This seems indicative of the current trend. Millenials feeling themselves entitled to the work of others, raised to think everyone deserves a gold star for effort, that hard work comes second to personal enjoyment, that there are no right answers only personal opinions, that punitive measures consist of the mighty wrath of the "Time Out" -- this being the Democratic Platform, the choice is obvious.

    Gay Rights is a misnomer and marijuana legalization isn't the exclusive providence of the Democrats.

    Getting high and buggery is what matters most? Is what is driving a stake through the heart of the GOP?

    Nah, it's what is driving a stake through the heart of this country.

    Voting on the federal lever for exclusive issues, specifically social issues has shown itself to be, is, and will continue to be catastrophic.

    This goes for the right side of the aisle too. The religious Right is no better in this regard.

    Only until a decentralization takes place allowing States rights to take precedence, to allow people to live the way the want to live, surrounded by people who want to live in the same fashion -- this country will always be divided and will continue its downward spiral.
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  3. #383
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,139

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    They did no such thing. They determined what limitations on our natural rights would be allowable under our social contract and what limitations on those rights the government would be forbidden from placing.
    That makes no sense at all. The very concept of rights is human made and as such rights can and exist only to the extent that humans in some form of social contract agree upon them and thus protect them.

    The founders and the constitution did not CREATE Freedom of Speech.
    Sure they did for our nation and decided that it was something worth protecting.

    To suggest they did would mean that if this country was disolved and anarchy ruled that a person could not say whatever they wish...which is patentedly untrue.
    By that logic or rather lack of it, one has the right to kill too, because one can just do it like speaking one's mind.

  4. #384
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That's what politicians do. In some cases you could call it "representing your constituents." It's actually the very same attitude that caused Romney to have to run much further to the right than his record as Governor. Besides, I thought the big tent was the GOP. That's what Bush I said.

    To the point of the OP, the GOP will adapt and be fine. They will figure out a way to go on winning elections which is what really matters to them anyway.
    The Democrat party changed when they disbanded the KKK as being the militant arm of the Democrat party. I think the former KKK booth under the Democrat tent is now occupied by the SEIU.

    I would say you will find a larger group under the GOP tent who represents a larger number of Americans than you can find under the Democrat tent today.

    The Democrat party of today is made up of mostly special interest groups, each only representing a small percentage of Americans. Not one special interest group representing a significant portion of the population. The way the Democrat party works today, one small special interest group says support my agenda that only represents a few percent of the population and I'll support your special interest group agenda no matter how loony or insane your agenda is.

  5. #385
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Not one thing in your post changes the reality that an ability to perform a physical act is one thing while the exercise of a legal right is quite another. And all the therefores and leaps made from them in the world do not change that
    Everything in my post exposes the falsehood that if someone restrains your ability to partake in a right, that they have in fact taken your right away. It is an argument claiming unwittingly that coercion and aggression are justified behavior and that the government itself, or in other cases society, grant the people their rights.

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    That makes no sense at all. The very concept of rights is human made and as such rights can and exist only to the extent that humans in some form of social contract agree upon them and thus protect them.
    Can you prove the existence of this social contract? Unlike natural rights that can easily be support by reason, there is no such thing possible with the idea of a social contract.

  7. #387
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Everything in my post exposes the falsehood that if someone restrains your ability to partake in a right, that they have in fact taken your right away. It is an argument claiming unwittingly that coercion and aggression are justified behavior and that the government itself, or in other cases society, grant the people their rights.
    Your argument only makes sense if you claim rights over and above those which are recognized as a citizen and resident of the USA.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #388
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Your argument only makes sense if you claim rights over and above those which are recognized as a citizen and resident of the USA.
    And how would it be reasonable to restrain the rights of man to the creation of a state or to those of a certain land?

  9. #389
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    1.)If the post is meaningless then why respond? Who said that you said it did?
    2.)The point is that you appear to want to brush aside the fact that Republicans have used gay baiting to get votes.
    3.)I don't think it's hard to understand.
    1.) still got nothing huh? let us know when you do
    2.) nope never even hinted at anything thats the part you made up in your head
    3.) i agree it wasnt hard to understand that what you were posting had nothing to do with what i said, im glad you figured that mistake out.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #390
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Can you prove the existence of this social contract? Unlike natural rights that can easily be support by reason, there is no such thing possible with the idea of a social contract.
    Regardless if you call it a social contract..... or the law ... or the rules of the game ... or just the way things are .... you are an adult and you know darn well what the deal is every day you get up and live here as a US Citizen. And you stay just the same making a free choice every day of your life. You might as well have signed a real parchment contract in blood cause its the same damn thing just the same.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 39 of 80 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •