Page 36 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 800

Thread: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

  1. #351
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,071

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    sorry wrong, the 5th is not a right........its a restriction........

    what the amendment process would be doing would be to remove a restriction placed on the federal government.
    You make this stuff up out of your own head as you go along. This is referred to as the right to remain silent.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_t...#United_States

    RIGHT TO SILENCE:

    United States[edit]
    Main article: Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution
    The Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides that no person shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself. At trial, the prosecution can neither call the defendant as a witness, nor comment on the defendant's failure to testify.[19] Whether to testify or not is exclusively the privilege of the defendant. [20]
    Outside the context of detention or arrest, a person has no duty to answer any questions of police at all; and if judicial compulsion is sought by the State, the person can still invoke his Fifth Amendment privilege against compulsory self-incrimination, and refuse to comply. Only if granted immunity by the state, in a formal proceeding, from having any testimony or evidence derived from the testimony used against him, can a person be compelled to answer over an assertion of this privilege. [21] If police detain (or arrest) a person, they must advise him that he has a right to remain silent, and the right to an attorney, among other rights. If the detained person invokes these rights, all interrogation must cease, and nothing said by the defendant in violation of this rule can be admitted against him at trial. [22]
    No matter - my point still stands as anything in the Constitution can be changed by a future Amendment. And that means ANYTHING.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #352
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    What was said is that the right came from the persons who wrote the Constitution and I think that is a correct statement. Because persons in a position to write laws that are enforced through the threat or application of various forms of coercion and are in general followed by a group of persons, the persons writing the laws can restrict rights. When a right is restricted, the persons who are restricted, practically speaking, don't have the right. Therefore the right, in a practical sense, comes from the persons writing the laws, in this case the Constitution.
    a right, meaning one recognized for all citizens as a whole, cannot be restricted.

    however a right of a single individual can be redistricted based if a violation of the law took place by that individual.

    you have many many rights, you have liberty to do as you please.......AS LONG AS......that liberty does not violate the rights of other people, or threaten the health and saftey of the public.

  3. #353
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You make this stuff up out of your own head as you go along. This is referred to as the right to remain silent.

    Right to silence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    No matter - my point still stands as anything in the Constitution can be changed by a future Amendment. And that means ANYTHING.
    i stated, that an amendment to the constitution, can not remove a right.........because the constitution does not grant the people any rights.........it only recognizes rights.

    if you repeal the 5th amendment , your repealing a restriction placed on the federal government .............are you going to say, that because of that repeal .............the USSC is going to UN-recognize a right.

  4. #354
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,071

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i stated, that an amendment to the constitution, can not remove a right.........because the constitution does not grant the people any rights.........it only recognizes rights.

    if you repeal the 5th amendment , your repealing a restriction placed on the federal government .............are you going to say, that because of that repeal .............the USSC is going to UN-recognize a right.
    What I am saying now is what I have always said:
    1- rights come from the will of the people demanding that a certain behavior be recognized by the government as a right.
    2- if your government does not recognize what you as an individual claim is your right - then you do not have that right in fact or in the ability to exercise what you claim is a right.
    3- natural rights are a theory and self imposed belief that are taken on an article of faith just like religion is.
    4- the Amendment process can change anything in the Constitution be it rights or anything else in the Constitution.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #355
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What I am saying now is what I have always said:
    1- rights come from the will of the people demanding that a certain behavior be recognized by the government as a right.
    rights which are recognized in the constitution enumeration are natural rights.

    its natural for you to speak.
    pray
    assemble with those to choose to be with.
    be secure in your person and property
    defend yourself by force or against those who would accuse you

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    2- if your government does not recognize what you as an individual claim is your right - then you do not have that right in fact or in the ability to exercise what you claim is a right.
    people have many many rights which have never come before the courts, because they have never be in question before...................i have a right to take a walk, and whistle as i walk........we all know this, so it has never been subject to the need to be recognized by the court.

    when rights which are not enumerated come into question, then the court makes the determination of whether the right is valid, and needs to be formally recognized.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    3- natural rights are a theory and self imposed belief that are taken on an article of faith just like religion is.
    natural rights are based on nature.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    4- the Amendment process can change anything in the Constitution be it rights or anything else in the Constitution.
    there are no rights given by the constitution....you cant take ..........what is not there.

  6. #356
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,071

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    You are confusing the physical ability to perform an action with a right.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #357
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Wtf. Sometimes our liberties need defending, you can try it by yourself, but you may at times just need the resources of the government.
    It is usally government that is the threat to our liberties; and it is usually government against which we must fight to defend our liberties.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  8. #358
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,208

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    rights which are recognized in the constitution enumeration are natural rights.
    So what you are saying is that prior to the adoption of the Constitution no one understood nature.

  9. #359
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    why is it so difficult for the right to come up with better solutions at lower cost with a first world work ethic instead of merely digging ditches with their third world work ethic.

  10. #360
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    So what you are saying is that prior to the adoption of the Constitution no one understood nature.
    no ...rights which are recognized by the constitution already existed in states.....before the constitution.

    they are based on nature.

    example: it is natural for me speak.

Page 36 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •