Page 21 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 800

Thread: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

  1. #201
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Christians have a history of seeing things that aren't really there
    Is that skunk you're holding male or female?

  2. #202
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Christians have a history of seeing things that aren't really there
    I don't think Christians have that history, but I do think that the modern "victim-mentality" white conservative christian does see personal slights where they do not exist.

    It's how a call for diversity/inclusion turns into a "war on Christmas" or other persecution of "Christian values". My stance, though, is that anyone who believes that stupid bull**** hasn't really understood Jesus' message very well.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #203
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    09-07-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why have the government offer the loans at all?
    Agreed. Federal loans are directly responsible for the bombastic inflation in tuition rates. However, the feds aren't going away (the gov now runs the student industry thanks to the porkulus), so I propose they offer them at reasonable rates and do something to address tuition rates that are putting burdensome debt on graduates. Sorry if I prefer to speculate under real-world pretenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You do realize you mentioned handouts, right?
    Are you referring to tax incentives for small businesses who hire new employees? If so, then you and I differ greatly on the definition of a handout.

    And if I may ask Mr. No-Handout, why do you reject my proposal that we reform SS before it goes bankrupt on my generation? You a bit comfy with your free monthly check old man?

  4. #204
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    09-07-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    You say address tuition inflation and offer student loans at whatever rate in the same post.

    The more money that is available for tuition, the higher it will go.

    What do you suggest the government do about that?
    All I can reasonably ask is that they provide the loans at a rate (currently 7%) that is NOT DOUBLE the rate of a home mortgage (3.5%).

    Of course, if I had my druthers they would be out of the business entirely.

    Should the feds set a cap for how high tuition can be raised each year? The capitalist in me says no, but the humanist says it might be worth considering.

  5. #205
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    All I can reasonably ask is that they provide the loans at a rate (currently 7%) that is NOT DOUBLE the rate of a home mortgage (3.5%).

    Of course, if I had my druthers they would be out of the business entirely.

    Should the feds set a cap for how high tuition can be raised each year? The capitalist in me says no, but the humanist says it might be worth considering.
    Just as a reminder - the govt took back the business of student loans because the private sector was making an obscene amount of money out of them. By the govt doing them instead, fees are way lower and profits can be reinvested into more student loans.

    However, I'm all for lower interest rates; Pres. Obama did sign a bill lowering them last year - I'm not sure where you are getting your 7% rate from -
    Obama signs student loan bill lowering interest rates - NBC News

    The legislation links student loan interest rates to the financial markets. It offers lower rates this fall because the government can borrow money cheaply at this time. If the economy improves in the coming years as expected, it will become more costly for the government to borrow money, and that cost would be passed on to students.

    Undergraduates this fall will borrow at a 3.9 percent interest rate for subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Graduate students would have access to loans at 5.4 percent, and parents would borrow at 6.4 percent. The rates would be locked in for that year's loan, but each year's loan could be more expensive than the last.

  6. #206
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    All I can reasonably ask is that they provide the loans at a rate (currently 7%) that is NOT DOUBLE the rate of a home mortgage (3.5%).

    Of course, if I had my druthers they would be out of the business entirely.

    Should the feds set a cap for how high tuition can be raised each year? The capitalist in me says no, but the humanist says it might be worth considering.
    Are you kidding me? Do you not see a risk difference between a secured and an unsecured loan? Why do you suppose credit card interest rates are far different from auto/home interest rates? You cannot repossess much from a drop out or even an unemployed (or underemployed) college graduate.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #207
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I don't think Christians have that history, but I do think that the modern "victim-mentality" white conservative christian does see personal slights where they do not exist.

    It's how a call for diversity/inclusion turns into a "war on Christmas" or other persecution of "Christian values". My stance, though, is that anyone who believes that stupid bull**** hasn't really understood Jesus' message very well.
    If I'm told I'm delusional for believing in God, that's not a personal slight (not saying you've said that, but I have seen it said repeatedly)? I have said, more than once, that there is no religious persecution in the US and to claim otherwise cheapens where it really does occur, however, try to understand why we can get a little sensitive. Remember my "Do Atheists Celebrate Thanksgiving" thread? A lot more was read into my question than I ever intended to say, so I'm agreeing with you that slights can be perceived where none were ever intended. On the other hand, I did not take into account how often atheists get to hear (wrongly) that they're not genuinely good moral people and never could be without God and that my thread could be taken as an attack along those lines and that was my mistake. In other words, everyone's experience color (sometimes inaccurately) how they view things and that's not just true for Christians or conservatives.
    Last edited by X Factor; 03-09-14 at 06:08 PM.

  8. #208
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Christians People have a history of seeing things that aren't really there
    Modified so I think it's more accurate.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #209
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    If I'm told I'm delusional for believing in God, that's not a personal slight (not saying you've said that, but I have seen it said repeatedly)?
    That absolutely is a personal slight. Everyone encounters them.

    I've had a person tell me, to my face, that I'm a bad father because I'm not raising my son as a Christian. That person is an idiot. Just like someone calling you delusional for believing in a god is an idiot.



    I have said, more than once, that there is no religious persecution in the US and to claim otherwise cheapens where it really does occur, however, try to understand why we can get a little sensitive. Remember my "Do Atheists Celebrate Thanksgiving" thread? A lot more was read into my question than I ever intended to say, so I'm agreeing with you that slights can be perceived where none were ever intended. On the other hand, I did not take into account how often atheists get to hear that they're not genuinely good moral people and never could be without God and that my thread could be taken as an attack along those lines. In other words, everyone's experience color how they view things and that's not just true for Christians or conservatives.
    And I'm not pretending that non-Christians don't see slights where none exist, either. I'm saying that we have a much stronger victim-culture present right now in the White Christian Conservative than in any other group. For ****'s sake, we've had millionaires complaining about how horribly millionaires are treated by society. That's some serious victim-mentality **** right there.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    Agreed. Federal loans are directly responsible for the bombastic inflation in tuition rates. However, the feds aren't going away (the gov now runs the student industry thanks to the porkulus), so I propose they offer them at reasonable rates and do something to address tuition rates that are putting burdensome debt on graduates. Sorry if I prefer to speculate under real-world pretenses.
    The only way to resolve that problem from my perspective is to get government out of the loan business. Yes, it would mean less people could go to college, but if all those people going only means higher debt for all involved, an increased requirement for those degrees even in areas it's not needed, and lower worth to degrees in general, then I can't say it's not for the best.

    Are you referring to tax incentives for small businesses who hire new employees? If so, then you and I differ greatly on the definition of a handout.
    Yes, I'm saying targeted tax incentives are a handout.

    And if I may ask Mr. No-Handout, why do you reject my proposal that we reform SS before it goes bankrupt on my generation? You a bit comfy with your free monthly check old man?
    I'm not old enough to collect Social Security. Why do I reject reforms? Well for one thing, I don't see how it would work without the government taking even more of peoples money and more than likely lowering the returns people get out of it. For another, I just have no interest in doing it. I don't support Social Security, so my interest in fixing it is pretty much nil.

Page 21 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •