Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 800

Thread: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

  1. #191
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    09-07-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Help you out to do what? Choose a profession that pays something or where there are job openings?
    Address tuition inflation, reform public education system, offer student loans at rates that aren't higher than a home mortgage, provide a path to a balanced budget so we don't have sky-high bond yields in 20 years, provide tax incentives to small businesses so they create 21st-century jobs, fix SS so it isn't bankrupt when we retire, etc...

    In other words, reasonable governance. Not handouts. We prefer you worry less about what we smoke or which orifice we enjoy our intercourse.

  2. #192
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post


    Many democrats were for this before they were each so popular. Damn they have great foresight.
    Isn't that to concept of democracy - that the elected representatives of the people should pursue the will of the people?

  3. #193
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    09-07-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And there is still massive flaws in it. The most abused controlled drug in the US is prescription drugs, even with them only available by prescription. Pretty sure that gives us a very good reason to still regulate those drugs. Even cigarettes and alcohol have some control on them.

    It is one thing to educate people on the effects of two commonly used drugs and quite another to have to educate the entire country on hundreds, if not thousands of those drugs and what putting them together may do.
    And we're in agreement that prescription drugs need to be regulated.

    I'm pretty sure you need like 9 or 10 years of medical experience and training in order to give out those drugs. That does not seem to have much effect does it?

    Aside from that glaring problem with prohibitory legislation, I can name on 50 hands things more important for law enforcement than arresting people for smoking pot.

  4. #194
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    Address tuition inflation, reform public education system, offer student loans at rates that aren't higher than a home mortgage, provide a path to a balanced budget so we don't have sky-high bond yields in 20 years, provide tax incentives to small businesses so they create 21st-century jobs, fix SS so it isn't bankrupt when we retire, etc...

    In other words, reasonable governance. Not handouts. We prefer you worry less about what we smoke or which orifice we enjoy our intercourse.
    What, focus on real issues? But but but - isn't it more important to vote for the 51st time to overturn the ACA?

    Well-said, well-said. I can't believe how high tuition is from when I was in school in the 80s; we need more grants so students take on less debt; and we need to grow jobs so they have a place to work when they graduate. Regardless what people on forums like this think, most students are studying for degrees that should get them jobs ...

    We also, as referenced, need programs for kids who don't want to go to college - carpentry, electrician, plumbing and other internships. I read a few years ago that we're going to have a shortage of people to maintain power lines soon; let's fund programs to get kids to learn that - pays well, and requires good head for heights and math skills according to what I read.

  5. #195
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,953

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    And we're in agreement that prescription drugs need to be regulated.

    I'm pretty sure you need like 9 or 10 years of medical experience and training in order to give out those drugs. That does not seem to have much effect does it?

    Aside from that glaring problem with prohibitory legislation, I can name on 50 hands things more important for law enforcement than arresting people for smoking pot.
    And where have I ever said that people should be arrested for smoking pot? Nowhere here. I believe in decriminalization of marijuana. I have no issue whatsoever with it being treated very similar to tobacco and/or alcohol.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Because that harm ends up leading to harm to others, not just themselves.
    Yes, many things are like that. For example, when someone kills themselves it could be argued it harms others. In both cases though I'm not for government action.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    Address tuition inflation,
    Why?

    offer student loans at rates that aren't higher than a home mortgage,
    Why have the government offer the loans at all?

    provide a path to a balanced budget so we don't have sky-high bond yields in 20 years,
    Good luck with that.

    provide tax incentives to small businesses so they create 21st-century jobs, fix SS so it isn't bankrupt when we retire, etc...
    No.

    In other words, reasonable governance. Not handouts. We prefer you worry less about what we smoke or which orifice we enjoy our intercourse.
    You do realize you mentioned handouts, right?

  8. #198
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,468

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    Address tuition inflation, reform public education system, offer student loans at rates that aren't higher than a home mortgage, provide a path to a balanced budget so we don't have sky-high bond yields in 20 years, provide tax incentives to small businesses so they create 21st-century jobs, fix SS so it isn't bankrupt when we retire, etc...

    In other words, reasonable governance. Not handouts. We prefer you worry less about what we smoke or which orifice we enjoy our intercourse.
    You say address tuition inflation and offer student loans at whatever rate in the same post.

    The more money that is available for tuition, the higher it will go.

    What do you suggest the government do about that?

  9. #199
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe He was born of a virgin, that He is the Son of God and that He was resurrected and has ascended into heaven. All things central and taught as truth in my faith and all things I'm sure you see as being "stupid". Am I right?
    Not at all. I don't hold those same beliefs, but I don't think believing in them is "stupid".

    Why are you so determined to take offense to things?

    I agree, and this is why I oppose abortion. Before all he flaming and name calling starts, I'm not saying you have to agree with me, can you, at least, see what I'm saying?
    Why would I flame and name-call simply because you oppose abortion and see it as protecting people from harm? We don't disagree on protecting people from harm in that regard, we disagree on the definition of a person. I do NOT place the abortion debate in the same realm as victimless crimes because for many people, abortion is the exact opposite of a victimless crime.

    While this is a total sidetrack, the primary view of a person who opposes abortion is that it is the selfish taking of an innocent human life. They aren't attempting to legislate morality, they are trying to legislate for protecting that innocent human life. Regardless of whether I agree with a person's position, or their definition of what a human is, I can certainly appreciate their position as being intended to protect an innocent being from being harmed by another person.


    Obviously, I'm not one for abolishing all laws. I just think one of the most retarded arguments in favor of legalizing anything is that people are doing to do it whether it's illegal or not. By that "logic", since all crimes continue to occur, everything should be legal. I don't see marijuana use as being as benign (or maybe even laudable?) as you do. Most of my friends who oppose legalizing pot are to the political left of me - most people I know are to the political left of me - and they do so because they are parents.
    I'm a father too, and even more to the point, my life has been negatively affected by drugs far worse than the majority of people experience. My brother is a recovering heroin addict.

    the argument isn't "People are going to do it anyway, so why keep it illegal", it's "The prohibition doesn't do a ****ing thing to prevent it, so why are we continuing to waste tremendous resources that could be better spent by ACTUALLY ****ING PREVENTING IT via effective programs on a feel-good prohibition and punitive approach that does not ****ing work and will never ****ing work."

    Trust me, I hate drugs. I've watched them take my family to the brink of destruction. I've been to a dozen funerals for some of my best friends from childhood due to them.

    I also know that the laws have failed. Miserably. And that more effective preventative and recovery approaches do exist.

    There's no point in punishing people for being addicted to drugs. The addiction is so much worse of a punishment than the legal system can impose. Our system is ****ed when it comes to addiction. We give shoddy treatment and then put them back in a world where they can't get a job (because they are a felon), they don't have any support, and they have only one course of action to gain any finances (dealing drugs).

    On top of that, legalizing and regulating drugs would have saved the lives of most of my friends who have died. Why? Because the **** you get on the street is cut with whatever the **** the criminal who cuts it wants to cut it with. If we regulated it, then the number of overdoses would decrease, without having a substantial effect on the actual rates of use, because people who don't use don't do so because they know it will **** you up, not because they are afraid of the laws.

    If a law exists to perform a certain task (prevent addiction and deaths due to use), and it fails miserably at that task, and even causes the opposite to occur (heroin being illegal increases overdose deaths and underage use of drugs is also made easier by drugs being illegal), then it's a ****ty law that should be repealed, even if that means that people have to accept that bad **** occurs.

    The problem is that prohibition only provides the illusion that something is being done. You see, I don't see marijuana use as benign, nor laudable. I see it as somewhat bad. Not as bad as consuming 4000 calories a day, but still bad.

    I can see something as bad and also realize that banning it is asinine since it doesn't (can't) achieve the desired goal.

    As to morals being legislated, can I assume you oppose restrictions on guns, incandescent light bulbs, large soft drinks, and Happy Meals in equally colorful terms.
    Two of those things (light bulbs and guns) are related to the effect they have on those who are not using them, making them dramatically different from gay rights and pot.

    Lets put it this way, if people who want to **** up the environment and pretend we are not ****ing up the environment could do so in a way that only ****ed up their environment, then I'd be adamantly opposed to any legislations regarding environmental stuff. But these people **** up the environment for EVERYONE, including (especially) my son, so **** 'em.

    As far as as gun restrictions go, I'm on record many times calling those who push for gun bans stupid and misguided. Making something MORE of a crime doesn't prevent it from happening. Shooting people is a crime, ergo, making it illegal to own the gun with which someone commits a crime doesn't really seem like much of a deterrent.

    The world WOULD be a better place in the absence of guns, though. Just as it would be better without drugs. Reality doesn't give a **** about happy thoughts, though. So we can look at legalization the same way in both cases: prohibition doesn't work, so treat the problem more effectively.

    Anyone trying to ban large drinks and happy meals is an idiot. But to be honest, those are things you need to be a lot more concerned about than pot if you are a father, because obesity kills a ****load more people than pot ever will. That being said, banning happy meals and big gulps won't create parents who make good food choices for their children. Fat parents have fat kids, and it ain't just genetics. Bad habits will be taught to a kid regardless of whether the parent can do so with a happy meal or if they have to bake the chocolate cake the kid calls breakfast for the kid themselves. It's retarded to try to take away one measely avenue for stupid choices, when the kid is STILL going to be given a full and compelte education on stupid choices. If people really want to fix the problem, then educate the parents.

    The fact that many oppose legalizing pot, but also oppose banning happy meals or vice versa, is, simply put, idiotic. The logic in both instances is identical "BUT WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!111!!!!", yet because they've been told by politicians that one ban is good and the other ban is bad, they have a hypocritical and conflicting position on both issues.

    Both types of bans are equally ineffective and are both based on the same amount of wishful thinking. Neither will ever achieve their goals. Both waste resources that could be better spent on effective measures, but would be harder to actually carry out and thus will never get traction as they would require politicians to do a little more work than just trying to get votes for the next reelection cycle.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #200
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Not at all. I don't hold those same beliefs, but I don't think believing in them is "stupid".

    Why are you so determined to take offense to things?
    Christians have a history of seeing things that aren't really there
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •