Page 18 of 80 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 800

Thread: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

  1. #171
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Let's be very clear: Simply disagreeing with me doesn't make someone a dickhead.

    Wanting to treat an entire group of people as second-class citizens for arbitrary reasons, however, does make a person a dickhead. It's a simple equation. People who oppose gay rights? Dickheads. White supremacists? Dickheads. Anti-semites? Dickheads. Anti-Islamics? Dickheads. And so on and so forth.

    People who oppose pot legalization? Misguided, sure, but not dickheads. People who oppose evolution in favor of creationism? Idiots, sure, but not dickheads.

    As far as the two parties go, I'd like to see them obliterated and the whole system scrapped and rebuilt. Since that isn't going to happen, I'd love, love, LOVE to see total agreement on the social issues (i.e. stop legislating individual morality and support common ****ing sense) because then we could actually address real issues instead of wasting time with **** that will inevitably come to pass regardless of what people do now to delay it.
    You are being very clear. I believe in a Creator, so that makes me (and everyone like me) an idiot (but it is wrong to be anti-Islamic because you're all tolerant like that ).

    All criminal laws "legislate individual morality", but I suppose that would be one way to eliminate crime, make it so nothing is illegal. Lol. I get you think it's only the right that tries to legislate it's own morality, but it's not. All legislation and laws are a way to get everyone to conform to a certain morality, whether they agree with it or not. Your vaunted Democrats are no different.

  2. #172
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You skipped the words "just as much". The lowest common denominator is, and always will be, the assholes who seek to create a second-class citizenry. Right now, that's the social conservatives. They've raped the intellect of the GOP so much that they have caused idiots to attain higher political power than they ever should have been able to attain.

    Social conservatives shouldn't change their positions to get votes, they should change their positions because they are WRONG.
    I think your last post to me indicated that my reading of what you wrote was quite accurate.

  3. #173
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,435

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    These millenials (my generation) are being herded into colleges to get useless degrees, graduating with tens of thousands of dollars of debt, only to find that there are no good-paying jobs awaiting us, and you old fogies are still hung up on gays and pot.

    Please, get over yourselves and help us out.
    Help you out to do what? Choose a profession that pays something or where there are job openings?

  4. #174
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    You are being very clear. I believe in a Creator, so that makes me (and everyone like me) an idiot (but it is wrong to be anti-Islamic because you're all tolerant like that ).
    Believing in a creator =/= being an idiot. Believing that the earth is 5,000 years old and that the Creator would never use a mechanism like evolution to guide his creations = idiocy. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. Allowing one's desire for a 3,000 year old story to be true to have any affect science teaching today is a mind-numbingly stupid thing to do.

    don't confuse my intolerance of stupidity with intolerance of religion. There are no religions in this world that have a requirement of stupidity. People make the choice to interpret their faiths stupidly, but that is their choice, and for them to blame their stupidity on their faith is disrespectful of religion.

    All criminal laws "legislate individual morality", but I suppose that would be one way to eliminate crime, make it so nothing is illegal. Lol. I get you think it's only the right that tries to legislate it's own morality, but it's not. All legislation and laws are a way to get everyone to conform to a certain morality, whether they agree with it or not. Your vaunted Democrats are no different.
    Not at all. Criminal laws are based on morality to a degree, yes, but they do not legislate morality if they are correctly formed. Laws about consumption of marijuana legislate individual morality because there is no protection of the people from harm of those who would break the law created by the law. Whereas murder laws act as a way to protect peopel form the harm caused by those who would break said law and punish those who break the law for harming others. this is based on teh moral principle of not harming others, so it is based on morality, but it's actual goal is to either prevent people from harming others or punish those who have harmed others.

    Nobody is harmed if Billy buys some weed for himself. Thus the law is not protective.

    Now, while I admire your attempt to create so obvious a strawman as pretending I am claiming that nothing should be illegal, it's fairly clear that only a fool would assume that legalizing marijuana = anarchy. Since you are not a fool, I must assume you were being facetious because you don't have an actual rebuttal to my point and in lieu of that, had to go whole hog down the path of pretending I said something totally different.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #175
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I think your last post to me indicated that my reading of what you wrote was quite accurate.
    Your reading was 100% wrong, as indicated by yourchoice to create false arguments to respond to while pretending they were mine. Had you read it correctly, you would not have said nonsense like "but I suppose that would be one way to eliminate crime, make it so nothing is illegal." or "I believe in a Creator, so that makes me (and everyone like me) an idiot". That nonsense, if you actually believe that it relates to what I said in any way shape or form, indicates you failed to understand what I wrote in every conceivable way.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And we would have so many people dying from overdoses that it would be absolutely stupid and considered an epidemic, including young children since most parents wouldn't know any better.
    We are not helpless children, and the government is not our parent or our nanny with the sworn task to keep us healthy and make sure that we live a healthy and safe lifestyle. We have the freedom to make dumb choices, acquire whatever property we desire, and use our property in dumb ways, which includes ways that can kill us. There should not be laws on the books that makes us go through hoops to get what we desire, tax us more for it, or control the way we desire to use our property onto ourselves. Could people die because of my position? Yes, it's entirely possible, but that is something the community can handle.

  7. #177
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Believing in a creator =/= being an idiot. Believing that the earth is 5,000 years old and that the Creator would never use a mechanism like evolution to guide his creations = idiocy.

    I'm sorry, but that's the truth. Allowing one's desire for a 3,000 year old story to be true to have any affect science teaching today is a mind-numbingly stupid thing to do.

    don't confuse my intolerance of stupidity with intolerance of religion. There are no religions in this world that have a requirement of stupidity. People make the choice to interpret their faiths stupidly, but that is their choice, and for them to blame their stupidity on their faith is disrespectful of religion.
    I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe He was born of a virgin, that He is the Son of God and that He was resurrected and has ascended into heaven. All things central and taught as truth in my faith and all things I'm sure you see as being "stupid". Am I right?

    Not at all. Criminal laws are based on morality to a degree, yes, but they do not legislate morality if they are correctly formed. Laws about consumption of marijuana legislate individual morality because there is no protection of the people from harm of those who would break the law created by the law. Whereas murder laws act as a way to protect peopel form the harm caused by those who would break said law and punish those who break the law for harming others. this is based on teh moral principle of not harming others, so it is based on morality, but it's actual goal is to either prevent people from harming others or punish those who have harmed others.
    I agree, and this is why I oppose abortion. Before all he flaming and name calling starts, I'm not saying you have to agree with me, can you, at least, see what I'm saying?

    Nobody is harmed if Billy buys some weed for himself. Thus the law is not protective.

    Now, while I admire your attempt to create so obvious a strawman as pretending I am claiming that nothing should be illegal, it's fairly clear that only a fool would assume that legalizing marijuana = anarchy. Since you are not a fool, I must assume you were being facetious because you don't have an actual rebuttal to my point and in lieu of that, had to go whole hog down the path of pretending I said something totally different.
    I'm sorry but which point was that, Tucker? It tends to get lost among terms like "dickhead", "idiotic", "mind-numbingly stupid" etc. Let's be real, I'm sure that there are any number of things I disagree with you that would have you characterize me as one or all those things and you're certainly not stupid or a fool, so I know that's not accidental. I'm guessing it's a way to put people immediately on the defensive? Obviously, I'm not one for abolishing all laws. I just think one of the most retarded arguments in favor of legalizing anything is that people are doing to do it whether it's illegal or not. By that "logic", since all crimes continue to occur, everything should be legal. I don't see marijuana use as being as benign (or maybe even laudable?) as you do. Most of my friends who oppose legalizing pot are to the political left of me - most people I know are to the political left of me - and they do so because they are parents.

    As to morals being legislated, can I assume you oppose restrictions on guns, incandescent light bulbs, large soft drinks, and Happy Meals in equally colorful terms.

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    You are correct that a majority of Americans favor gay marriage and marijuana legalization. But the Republican Party is in no danger of dying out. I seen the same thing said about the Republican Party myself in 1974/5 and about the Democratic Party during Reagan's era or as many books put it, the Republican lock on the Presidency. Then there is history that goes back to the end of FDR and Truman, where Eisenhower was recruited the by the Republicans to run for president as it was feared way back then that the death of the Republican Party was at hand. \

    Needless to stay, these two parties are still around. If it wouldn't be for the ACA, I would say you thoughts on the demise of the Republican Party might have more merit. It does seem being against the ACA is about the only issue where the Republicans have the majority of Americans on their side. If it were not for the ACA the House would have remained in Democratic Hands in 2010 and there would be no threat for the Republicans of taking over the senate this year. But the danger does remain that as far as the American electorate is concerned, they will vote Republican as long as the ACA remains in effect. Without it the Republicans seems to have little appeal outside of their solid base of around 25% of the electorate.
    That's an interesting perspective. However, I think the Republicans are going to have to offer much more than a critique of ACA if they are going to broaden their appeal. For instance, they are going to have to modify their stance on immigration, at the very least.

    Having said that, Democrats through their incompetence, are giving Republicans plenty of ammunition. And therefore it ain't over till the fat lady sings, as Daryl Royal used to say. On the other hand it shows you how pitiful the Republicans are, that despite all that incompetence, they are still having trouble.

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post

    The GOP has been in danger of dying out for quite a while.

    And that danger increases as time goes by and the GOP fails to attract anyone besides old white men.


    "Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.
    Yep. They are going to have to do better than that. I guess they don't call them the "Grand Old Party" for nothing! LMAO!!!

    Sorry, couldn't help that one!

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Or maybe they just care about equality and value being ethically consistent?
    If they are so ethically pure, why has it taken so long for someone in the position of President to openly support such things? The answer? Because now they think they can get votes. These people are politicians first and foremost, and quite frankly, that is one of Obama's biggest problems.

Page 18 of 80 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •