Page 17 of 80 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 800

Thread: Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?

  1. #161
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    You said MJ was the same as alcohol and cigarettes. It is not. The government is limiting the amount a person can buy.

    Why would you bring up prescription medication or meth if we are talking about legal over the counter products?
    No I didn't. I said it would be treated like alcohol or cigarettes, which even they are not treated exactly alike.

    Are you unaware that psuedophedrine is an OTC? Are you unaware that there are other things that go into the manufacturing of meth that are completely legal yet restricted in the quantity that they can be sold in or that a person can possess?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #162
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    There should be no quantity restrictions on anything that can be bought and sold. Oh, and prescription drugs should not exist. They should be able to be sold by whomever wants to sell them and open to whomever wants to buy them.
    And we would have so many people dying from overdoses that it would be absolutely stupid and considered an epidemic, including young children since most parents wouldn't know any better.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #163
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    09-07-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And we would have so many people dying from overdoses that it would be absolutely stupid and considered an epidemic, including young children since most parents wouldn't know any better.
    A pillar of Libertarianism is that people aren't willfully ignorant.

    For example, tobacco use has reduced dramatically without the need to outlaw tobacco. Simple public awareness often does the trick.

    It's a fine line between "promoting the common good" and dictating lifestyles.

  4. #164
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I think this thread is built on a faulty premise. Outside of Colorado and Washington, I haven't seen any evidence that the Democrats, as a national party, are remotely interested in legalizing marijuana.
    And I just read 41% of the attendees at CPAC (conservative republican convention over the weekend) were in favor of fully legalizing pot.

    So yeah, pot isn't really a dem/repub issue. But politicians are too scared to do what makes sense and legalize it.

    Edit: link to article that includes marijuana poll at cpac
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Deco...ake-it-to-2016

  5. #165
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,937
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    A new Pew Research survey seems to indicate that millenials, the age group from 18 to 33, tend to favor gay rights and marijuana legalization. and tend to vote for Democrats. I think it is highly likely that Democrats have embraced these two issues to drive a stake in the heart of the Republican party. Recall recently how Obama spoke in favor of marijuana legalization and came out in favor of gay rights.

    Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out? - The Week
    You are correct that a majority of Americans favor gay marriage and marijuana legalization. But the Republican Party is in no danger of dying out. I seen the same thing said about the Republican Party myself in 1974/5 and about the Democratic Party during Reagan's era or as many books put it, the Republican lock on the Presidency. Then there is history that goes back to the end of FDR and Truman, where Eisenhower was recruited the by the Republicans to run for president as it was feared way back then that the death of the Republican Party was at hand. \

    Needless to stay, these two parties are still around. If it wouldn't be for the ACA, I would say you thoughts on the demise of the Republican Party might have more merit. It does seem being against the ACA is about the only issue where the Republicans have the majority of Americans on their side. If it were not for the ACA the House would have remained in Democratic Hands in 2010 and there would be no threat for the Republicans of taking over the senate this year. But the danger does remain that as far as the American electorate is concerned, they will vote Republican as long as the ACA remains in effect. Without it the Republicans seems to have little appeal outside of their solid base of around 25% of the electorate.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #166
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Let's see. GOP, pandering dickheads, lowest common denominator. I think I got it all. What I'm noticing about this thread is that it's everything you all disagree with that you say are losing us votes. So is the argument that we change our position just to gain votes? Isn't that exactly what the OP is suggesting liberals do?
    Go back and read his post...carefully. Parse it word for word, and not just the ones that caught your attention. If you don't understand why I'm telling you to do this, read it again. And again, and again, and again, and for however many hundreds of times it takes until you get it.

  7. #167
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Well, looks like some Democratic politicians might be finally getting the courage to advocate for legalization of pot!

    Major shift: CA Democrats’ proposed platform plank calls for full legalization of pot - Politics Blog

    With proponents arguing that it could put billions into state coffers and provide crucial jobs, California Democrats on Sunday will move to insert a plank in their party platform calling to “support the legalization, regulation and taxation of pot in a manner similar to that of tobacco or alcohol,” the Chronicle has learned.

    The proposed platform change comes as 3,000 California Democrats met this weekend at a 3-day convention in Los Angeles, where they heard an appeal Saturday by Califonria Lt. Gov Gavin Newsom on the issue. The former San Francisco mayor argued to Democrats that — as with same sex marriage — the state should be leading, and not following, on a key issue which polls show now has gained marked support among Americans.

    Newsom noted that while California lead the nation in 1996 in passing voter-approved Prop. 215 to support medical marijuana, it has now fallen behind other states, including Washington and Colorado, in moving to legalize the drug. He said that legalization would have a myriad of benefits that include boosting state revenue, diverting needed law enforcement resources and funding away from unnecessary incarceration.

    “This is not a debate about stoners,” said Newsom. “You can be pro-regulation without being an advocate for drug use.”

  8. #168
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Isn't it interesting that it's the things you disagree with is what makes us all "dickheads". Lol. Is it that you want both parties to look exactly the same?
    Let's be very clear: Simply disagreeing with me doesn't make someone a dickhead.

    Wanting to treat an entire group of people as second-class citizens for arbitrary reasons, however, does make a person a dickhead. It's a simple equation. People who oppose gay rights? Dickheads. White supremacists? Dickheads. Anti-semites? Dickheads. Anti-Islamics? Dickheads. And so on and so forth.

    People who oppose pot legalization? Misguided, sure, but not dickheads. People who oppose evolution in favor of creationism? Idiots, sure, but not dickheads.

    As far as the two parties go, I'd like to see them obliterated and the whole system scrapped and rebuilt. Since that isn't going to happen, I'd love, love, LOVE to see total agreement on the social issues (i.e. stop legislating individual morality and support common ****ing sense) because then we could actually address real issues instead of wasting time with **** that will inevitably come to pass regardless of what people do now to delay it.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #169
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Let's see. GOP, pandering dickheads, lowest common denominator. I think I got it all. What I'm noticing about this thread is that it's everything you all disagree with that you say are losing us votes. So is the argument that we change our position just to gain votes? Isn't that exactly what the OP is suggesting liberals do?
    You skipped the words "just as much". The lowest common denominator is, and always will be, the assholes who seek to create a second-class citizenry. Right now, that's the social conservatives. They've raped the intellect of the GOP so much that they have caused idiots to attain higher political power than they ever should have been able to attain.

    Social conservatives shouldn't change their positions to get votes, they should change their positions because they are WRONG.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: The Reason Democrats Are Backing Gay Rights and Marijuana Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    You forget, in Alternate Universe GOP land, they are the big tent party. I've never seen a larger bunch of self-delusional people. It's like a cult.

    The Republican Party has spent the last 50 years alienating blacks, Mexicans and women, and wonder why they're going down the toilet in demographics.
    Mexicans are foreign nationals, under the law they aren't allowed to participate in our political system. Something to do with the rule of law.

    But under the Democrat tent there is no rule of law and you can find the Mexican booth next to the former KKK booth now occupied by the SEIU which is just across from the bestiality activist booth.

    BTW: At least the GOP has toilets, the Democrat's carnival still uses porto potties.

Page 17 of 80 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •