Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

  1. #11
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    The troops are already supported without us conjuring up new benefits. You realize that many of these benefits are for life right? Give five years of service for A LIFETIME OF BENEFITS? Yeah, methinks you don't manage your household's finances.

    Unnecessary war? Are you referring to Iraq?
    Last question first: yes, Iraq.

    And yes, for five years of service. Especially where harm was caused. Yes, for life.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 03-06-14 at 12:51 AM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #12
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    The troops are already supported without us conjuring up new benefits. You realize that many of these benefits are for life right? Give five years of service for A LIFETIME OF BENEFITS? Yeah, methinks you don't manage your household's finances.
    What do you say to a wounded warrior and his/her family who will never fully recover from his/her injuries and are affected for life?
    What do you say to the spuses and kids of all the Veterans who come home and then commit suicide?

    You should visit a VA hospital to see what these people are going through.
    There's a huge one in Iowa City, IA, where my WW2 father-in-law would go for emergencies.
    He didn't like going there for the very attitude you show .
    Physics is Phun

  3. #13
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,116
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I don't know that the bill created any new benefits. If you do, could you explain what those new benefits are?
    For example, it called for 27 new medical facilities
    would have expanded federal healthcare and education programs for veterans,
    To me, these are new benefits.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    To me, these are new benefits.
    And maybe needed growth.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #15
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,116
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    What do you say to a wounded warrior and his/her family who will never fully recover from his/her injuries and are affected for life?
    What do you say to the spuses and kids of all the Veterans who come home and then commit suicide?

    You should visit a VA hospital to see what these people are going through.
    There's a huge one in Iowa City, IA, where my WW2 father-in-law would go for emergencies.
    He didn't like going there for the very attitude you show .
    Yes, trot out the wounded veteran to tug at the heartstrings. Doesn't change the fact that in the grand scheme of things uninjured veterans, which comprise the vast majority of them, have fantastic benefits for life at taxpayer expense.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  6. #16
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Yes, trot out the wounded veteran to tug at the heartstrings. Doesn't change the fact that in the grand scheme of things uninjured veterans, which comprise the vast majority of them, have fantastic benefits for life at taxpayer expense.
    You've probably not seen some of my better stuff on means-testing.
    Retired folks like me who can still handle the three R's should have to give a MANDATORY 3 weeks a year on "means-testing"
    of Pensions and Benefits, modeled after Americorps.
    It's almost too late for public pensions, which I have one, so I feel your anxst.

    Israel would not be what it is today without required service.
    I don't ever hear anyone question COLA for all the Officers.
    Rep. Ryan got stabbed by his own GOP on decreasing COLA.

    NCOs didn't make ****.
    Their wives make less than half now.
    Without Tri-Care-For-Life, Mom would be SOL and I'd be paying, which I don't mind by "means-testing".
    We are all going to have to give back on public government pensions and bennies, but in a sensible "means-tested" (who can afford it most) way.
    And yes, I'm an Air Force brat.
    Physics is Phun

  7. #17
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,116
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Last question first: yes, Iraq.
    Ah yes, the same Iraq war that had a huge number of waivers were granted so that people with felonies, drug arrests, ties to hate groups, and other questionable behaviors were allowed to enlist. Yes that Iraq War.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  8. #18
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    To me, these are new benefits.
    Unless those new medical facilities were handed over to some veterans, they would not be providing new benefits; just the old benefits these vets had been promised.

    And if the "expansion" of health and education programs merely served to make old programs more widely accessible, they too would not be new benefits but instead, a means of providing benefits that had been already promised to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #19
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Ah yes, the same Iraq war that had a huge number of waivers were granted so that people with felonies, drug arrests, ties to hate groups, and other questionable behaviors were allowed to enlist. Yes that Iraq War.
    Well, don't cool yourself into thinking that is the majority we are talking about, or that people are fixed and unchangeable.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •