Page 70 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 820

Thread: Record Support for Gay Marriage[W:162:334]

  1. #691
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    I'm getting a little tired of people twisting what I say, to something I didn't say, so as to fit their inadequate argument.
    You are the one that brought up pro-creation as being the defining difference between marriage between gays and heterosexuals. The fact is procreation is not and has not been required to use the word marriage, so your entire argument is invalid. The ability to procreate is not a requirement to use the word marriage. YOU are free to disagree with gays being allowed to marry, but it is in fact MARRIAGE.

    You will eventually be lumped in the same category as those who were against interracial marriage. Feel proud with the company you will keep

  2. #692
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,047

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You are the one that brought up pro-creation as being the defining difference between marriage between gays and heterosexuals. The fact is procreation is not and has not been required to use the word marriage, so your entire argument is invalid. The ability to procreate is not a requirement to use the word marriage. YOU are free to disagree with gays being allowed to marry, but it is in fact MARRIAGE.

    You will eventually be lumped in the same category as those who were against interracial marriage. Feel proud with the company you will keep
    When my wife and I got married no marriage official asked us if we had any intention of having kids (spoiler alert: we don't).

  3. #693
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    When my wife and I got married no marriage official asked us if we had any intention of having kids (spoiler alert: we don't).
    It's just a horrible last ditch temper tantrum the anti-SSM folks are playing. It's quite pathetic.

  4. #694
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,567

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You are the one that brought up pro-creation as being the defining difference between marriage between gays and heterosexuals. The fact is procreation is not and has not been required to use the word marriage, so your entire argument is invalid. The ability to procreate is not a requirement to use the word marriage. YOU are free to disagree with gays being allowed to marry, but it is in fact MARRIAGE.

    You will eventually be lumped in the same category as those who were against interracial marriage. Feel proud with the company you will keep
    See, you are wrong. It is not marriage. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Procreation is just an aspect that does not exist between SS couples. You know, just a building block of society, the family unit, and the continuation of human kind. No big deal.

    More twisting of my words. Please show where I said it was THE defining issue. Also show where I said it was REQUIRED to use the word marriage. Bet you can't. Well, I shouldn't say that, since I've already been quoted here as saying things I did not say.
    And you finish up nicely with the old invalid comparison of interracial marriage, which is between a man and a woman.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  5. #695
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,984

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    I am not saying any laws are based on procreation, I am pointing out that that is a difference. If you go back to the point I was making, it was that SS couples are different than OS couples, and a SSM is different from standard marriage. It seems that those that are for gay marriage refuse to admit that gay sex can not ever result in procreation. Just because people can't have children because of various reasons, doesn't mean that all couples can't have children. And if you have a union that, overall, in every instance, can't produce kids, then that is different from what a marriage is.
    We are discussing marriage laws here. If someone is not prevented from marrying due to an inability to procreate by the law then other couples' inability to procreate has no relevance to why they should not be allowed to marry.

    No two marriages are the same, ever. None. Because no two people are the same, so there are definitely not 4 people who would be the same.

    Legal marriage is not about having children so you cannot connect having children to legal marriage like that. It is dishonest.

    Plus, in the states of Arizona, Illinois, Utah, and a couple others, first cousins cannot legally be married if they are able to have children. That would place all those couples within your different from what a marriage is yet they are legally married.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #696
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,984

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    See, you are wrong. It is not marriage. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Procreation is just an aspect that does not exist between SS couples. You know, just a building block of society, the family unit, and the continuation of human kind. No big deal.

    More twisting of my words. Please show where I said it was THE defining issue. Also show where I said it was REQUIRED to use the word marriage. Bet you can't. Well, I shouldn't say that, since I've already been quoted here as saying things I did not say.
    And you finish up nicely with the old invalid comparison of interracial marriage, which is between a man and a woman.
    Families are different, whether you approve or not. Two people of the same sex can have a family, raise children, go through all the ups and downs that two people of the opposite sex do.

    You keep claiming that their marriages are not a marriage. You fail to add the qualifying caveat that this is only when using your personal definition of what you view marriage to be. Many others define marriage much differently than you do, including not having procreative ability or the requirement of a man and a woman as part of that definition.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #697
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,567

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Families are different, whether you approve or not. Two people of the same sex can have a family, raise children, go through all the ups and downs that two people of the opposite sex do.
    I don't disagree with that at all. I never said they can't have a family, or all the rights of a married couple.

    You keep claiming that their marriages are not a marriage. You fail to add the qualifying caveat that this is only when using your personal definition of what you view marriage to be. Many others define marriage much differently than you do, including not having procreative ability or the requirement of a man and a woman as part of that definition.
    No need to add a personal "qualifying caveat", as this is the opinion of millions in this country, as evidenced by the many votes taken among the states.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  8. #698
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,984

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    I don't disagree with that at all. I never said they can't have a family, or all the rights of a married couple.

    No need to add a personal "qualifying caveat", as this is the opinion of millions in this country, as evidenced by the many votes taken among the states.
    Those votes that were taken many years ago. No different than the vote in Mississippi just recently that said that millions of people there want the definition of marriage to only include those of the same race, a commonly held opinion of the 1970s and earlier.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #699
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,567

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    We are discussing marriage laws here. If someone is not prevented from marrying due to an inability to procreate by the law then other couples' inability to procreate has no relevance to why they should not be allowed to marry.
    Well, then leave me out of that argument. I was responding to someone that claimed SSM and normal marriage are exactly the same. I pointed out that SS couple can never produce a child. Had nothing to do with the law.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #700
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,567

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Those votes that were taken many years ago. No different than the vote in Mississippi just recently that said that millions of people there want the definition of marriage to only include those of the same race, a commonly held opinion of the 1970s and earlier.
    Apples and oranges, wether you like it or not.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

Page 70 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •