Page 61 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 820

Thread: Record Support for Gay Marriage[W:162:334]

  1. #601
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,964

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Sigh..

    Look, I didn't say anything didn't exist, I just said we don't know what causes it, and you know, unless you can show how I'm wrong in that argument, you can just consider this conversion over. You have grown to bore me.
    Were you trying to 'convert me?' Sorry, you've been told it's not a choice!

    Go Freud go!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #602
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Well now, sodomy laws were applied to all, not just homosexuals.
    Pretty much all laws are applied to all. You could argue that segregation laws and interracial marriage bans were applied to all. That kind of rhetoric cannot get around whether certain laws provide Equal Protection for all. And Lawrence versus Texas settled that issue.

    But good red herring. It does not change the fact that homosexual behavior was criminalized a little over a decade ago in a good share of the country.

  3. #603
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Were you trying to 'convert me?' Sorry, you've been told it's not a choice!

    Go Freud go!!!
    Yup, I made a mistake. So why are you still responding to me? I already explained myself, and even though you have responded to me repeatedly, all you have done is post non-sequiturs, strawmen, or just post random **** that has nothing to do with anything I'm talking about.

  4. #604
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    It used to be and IMHO still is a mental disease ,
    Good thing your opinion is humble, because it is wrong.

    There really was no evidence to classify homosexuality as a mental disorder to begin with and once it became clear that happy and functional gay people exist, there was no argument that homosexuality, in itself, could be considered a mental disorder.

  5. #605
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    You sound pretty sure.
    Then your contention is that a person's development milieu or their life environment cannot possibly have any effect on whether or not they engage in homosexual practices.
    Is that correct?
    Based on what I have read, homosexual parents are under a sort of implicit pressure to raise heterosexual kids because of the expectation that homosexual parents raise gay kids. As such, it is kind of one of those situations where there is no way to know how the environment plays out because societal expectations and stigmas could also be influencing the environment the children are raised in. In the few studies that look into the sexuality of children raised in homes with a homosexual parent, they tend to find those people grow up more comfortable exploring their sexuality, which includes trying same sex experiences, but not a significant amount more identify as gay than their heterosexually raised counterparts. Of course that is based on like two or three studies with extremely small sample sizes, so I don't know.

  6. #606
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    He ignores that essentially they are unsure on the question at all. There was some studies on hormonal influences, but all them are flawed in one way or another. There was some studies on genetic influences, but all them appear to be influenced by ideology. Lastly, there was studies on environmental influences, but to my understanding there is no sure answer one way or another on the matter. Really, the entire field of study is rather untouched and needs further study and better work done on it to really know the answer.
    I don't think they are "flawed", I think they are limited. There is a fundamental difference between the two. Having a small sample size is not a flaw; it is a limiting factor. A flaw implies that a mistake was made or a methodological error occurred. Those occur in research, but that is different than a study which is limited in scope by factors such as selection and sampling. In the case of studies of homosexuality, there is always going to be issues with selection and sampling because the only way for gay people to be identified is if they tell you they are gay which inherently creates a self selection bias and there are so few gay people in the overall population that it is hard to get a representative sample. That does not mean that the research does not tell us anything. It means that a number of studies have to be done when usually a few would suffice, and once there is a sufficient number of studies that show the same result, a general conclusion can be reached. In this case, there is a lot of work that taken as individual works are weak, but given that so many come to similar conclusions it adds up to a consensus. It isn't perfect, but it is far beyond the effort that people who make simple claims like "it is a choice" have made.

  7. #607
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    So you are an expert

    Report: Pedophilia more common among 'gays'



    Report: Pedophilia more common among ‘gays’

    While it may be true that many have no interest in sex with adults the fact that they want only to have sex with children of their own sex makes them homosexual as well. Just as there are heterosexual child molesters and pedophiles. They are not mutually exclusive.
    Wow. I destroyed this "study" TWICE... once 3 years ago, and once a month ago:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-an...post1059574261

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-an...post1062884157
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #608
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That is a sex act...not being gay. Not being sexually attracted to the same gender. It's about dominance and submission.

    Let's face it, men try ****ing vacuum hoses, poodles, sheep, just about anything....that is about gratification, not attraction.
    That is performing a homosexual act because of your life's situation. Hold that thought.

    The point was about the influence of the person's life environment.

    It was related to the possible effect on a young female of being raised by 2 gay women and being exposed to their lifestyle throughout her formative years.

  9. #609
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    [QUOTE=CriticalThought;1063006322]Based on what I have read, homosexual parents are under a sort of implicit pressure to raise heterosexual kids because of the expectation that homosexual parents raise gay kids. As such, it is kind of one of those situations where there is no way to know how the environment plays out because societal expectations and stigmas could also be influencing the environment the children are raised in. In the few studies that look into the sexuality of children raised in homes with a homosexual parent, they tend to find those people grow up more comfortable exploring their sexuality,
    which includes trying same sex experiences, but not a significant amount more identify as gay than their heterosexually raised counterparts. Of course that is based on like two or three studies with extremely small sample sizes, so I don't know.
    Right. That was the point.
    I wasn't trying to suggest that children of gay parents are trained to be gay but just like with all child development there is certainly a strong tendency for what they experience in the home to become part of their own life because they think that's how it's supposed to be.
    And yes, it can overwhelm how they otherwise would have behaved.
    At a minimum ... it would likely be thoroughly confusing.
    The amount of exposure to alternatives seems to me to be a critical factor.

    Regardless, as you've said, too few studies with too small samples ... and that's not good.

  10. #610
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,944

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    Not for all but it is to some. People can think they are gay or convinced of it.

    And Nambla is just as much homosexuals as pedophiles. The ones im speaking of are only attracted to young boys. Its their sex as much as their age that attracts them
    Thinking you are gay is not the same as being gay. And it isn't people being told about or indoctrinated into some gay lifestyle that leads to even thinking you are gay. It is mainly going to be wrong assumptions about certain stereotypes.

    Wrong. NAMBLA is pedophiles and ephebophiles, not homosexuals. True sexuality is about intimate relationships and attraction that can lead to longterm bonding. Pedophilia is not a sexuality because it is impossible for pedophiles to establish longterm bonds/commitment with those they are attracted to due to the reason for their attraction to them, age. They don't see those children as people, but rather just sexual gratification devices.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 61 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •