Page 31 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 820

Thread: Record Support for Gay Marriage[W:162:334]

  1. #301
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,797

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Gay people actually do exist and actually do want to be treated equally under the law. Sorry to burst your bubble, it's not "make believe." You talk about intellectual integrity, but you aren't responding to the intellectual arguments about how equal protection challenges work. Why is that?
    equal rights is winning and the anti posts in these threads prove that. So much fear, hate, panic and or anger is being inspired in those that oppose equal rights for gays its funny and reassuring. The writing is on the wall and everybody sees it. My guess is at the longest it will take till 2017.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #302
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage[W:162]

    Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    And where do you get this

    Under our current laws a Man can legally enter into a contract with people a woman can't, and vise versa.
    Um, I get that from our marriage laws.

    Marriage laws currently allow a man to enter into a legal contract with a woman and become married to her.

    This is something, legally, a woman is unable to do. She can't enter into a legal contract with a woman and become married to her.

    This is a contractual, under the law, that a man is able to do that a women is prohibited from doing.

    At best, it's "seperate but equal", which has been established to be an unconstitutional method of attepmting to circumvent equal protection.

  3. #303
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,797

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Now run along.
    still nothing huh?
    please let us know when you have ANY facts that support your failed claims, heck let us know when you have ONE fact that supports your failed claim. We'd love to tread it, thank you.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #304
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage[W:162]

    Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    Then why do states still have these laws?
    Because states routinely have laws that are counter to the constitution. That is, in part, why we have the Federal Court System established.

    It would not be as necessary if states or the federal government just never had unconstitutional laws passed. But that's not the case.

    Is your argument seriously that because a law is on the books it's constitutional? Despite the mountain of evidence highlighting SCOTUS cases documenting where a state had a law, sometimes even a long standing law, and it was over turned becuase it was unconstitutional?

  5. #305
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    a poll also asked:

    "Do you think businesses should or should not be allowed to refuse service to gays and lesbians?"

    Should 16%

    Should not 81%

    Unsure 3%

    Civil Rights
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  6. #306
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Gay people actually do exist and actually do want to be treated equally under the law. Sorry to burst your bubble, it's not "make believe." You talk about intellectual integrity, but you aren't responding to the intellectual arguments about how equal protection challenges work. Why is that?
    There's simply no integrity in the debate to begin with. We've just heaped a new definition on a word that already had a definition. It's like deciding that English is the same language as Russian. You can say it, or pass a law declaring it, but that doesn't make it so. That's where our system has lost any sense of integrity.

    This whole thing is simply about votes and political power. Nothing more. Otherwise this would have been changed sometime in the past 3,000 years or so.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 11:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    136

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes there is. Equal protection clause.


    Slippery slope fallacy is a fallacy for a reason. Animals and children cannot enter legal contracts. If you're so interested in marrying your dog, you're free to start lobbying to allow animals to enter into legal contracts.


    Appeal to tradition fallacy. The definition used to be one man and one woman of the same race. Don't even get me started on the early biblical versions of marriage! How many wives and concubines did Solomon have?




    No, you are blocking peoples' rights based on emotions.


    You said you were leaving the thread because you'd spent too much time here. Now you're demanding other people leave. That's even more desperate than your earlier argument of semantics.
    They have the same rights under the current laws as everyone else.
    Can I leave my property to my dog? Sure i can. I dont need a legal contract to get married and neither do gays unless i want something from the state
    The definition of having to be the same race was not universal in fact it was the exception

    I dont want to block anyones rights. Im a Libertarian. What part of get government out of the marriage business escapes you? Let anyone marry anyone and anything they like. It wont effect me. If your going to do it go all the way. Of course marriage wont mean much anymore but then again its been all down hill since progressives introduced no fault divorce

  8. #308
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Even if that's the case, I don't see that as a reason to combat it.

    "Activists" on EVERY side do this, and it drives me crazy. From Gun Nuts to Environmentalist Whackos, activists NEED controversy to fuel their incessent need for attention, power, self fulfillment, and wealth.

    Annoyance or problems with activists are never a reason in my mind to necessarily oppose or be upset with a generalized notion.

    You pretty much look at every movement. Once they reach their initial goal and seemingly succeed it weakens a bit and then those desperately trying to cling to relevancy and power have ot make it out that succeeding at what they wanted wasn't success and must constantly be creating the impression of a situation hanging on a knife's edge.

    I get the annoyance with that; I just don't think it's anything to really go off of OTHER than feeling annoyed at activists.
    That's why I mentioned activists.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #309
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    There's simply no integrity in the debate to begin with. We've just heaped a new definition on a word that already had a definition. It's like deciding that English is the same language as Russian. You can say it, or pass a law declaring it, but that doesn't make it so. That's where our system has lost any sense of integrity.

    This whole thing is simply about votes and political power. Nothing more. Otherwise this would have been changed sometime in the past 3,000 years or so.
    Back to the argument of semantics.

    A gender-based distinction is subject to an equal protection challenge. I'm sorry you hate the 14th amendment so much, but it exists and there's nothing you can do about it.

    Next you'll repeat the nonsense about equal protection being expandable to any situation. Which is wrong, and you know it's wrong, but you'll say it anyway. Why not just move along.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #310
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The goal of gay people is to have you pay for their marriage?
    That target hasn't been defined yet, we'll see.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 31 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •