Page 20 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 820

Thread: Record Support for Gay Marriage[W:162:334]

  1. #191
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You're mistaking the "growing" part.

    Straight people will never celebrate and promote gay marriage. They'll tolerate it and accept it as reality, but you're not going to see it become mainstream America. That's where a huge miscalculation is being made.

    The media is all over this stuff, but it's not topical in everyday America. It's background noise. CNN and MSNBC try to promote it and act as if the US is just a huge version of South Beach or San Francisco. It's just not.

    The vast overwhelming majority of America just ignores its gay communities, not out of spite, but out of practicality and indifference. Even the northeast, with it's say-one-thing-but-live-another attitude treats gays as sideshows more than serious public people, unless they are serious people who keep their private lives private. No one wants to know your sexual details no matter who you are.

    This will pass, and then there'll still be this huge "Look-at-me!" contingent of gays that need desperately to be recognized and coddled. The gay parade must go on.
    What you are mistaking Erod, is that anyone is expecting a "Celebration" of gay marriage. The hope is, at least among gay people that I know, that once it becomes recognized, people can go on about their daily lives and be treated with the same honor and respect as everyone else. The only reason you see the Hoopla over gay marriage is because gays have had to fight tooth and nail to get the right that should be theirs regardless.

    It isn't that the overwhelming majority of America "ignores" its gay communities, its that with acceptance, it is not longer stigmatized and becomes part of the norm. We've seen this clearly in the younger generation. Many "gay" clubs have ceased to exist, because nowadays, gays can go to pretty much any club as straights and it isn't an issue. Gay kids are out in many high schools these days and it isn't a big deal like it would have been in my day or your day.

    Yes...you are correct...this will pass and as society becomes more and more accepting of gays and gay marriage, it is going to become like inter-racial marriage, which used to be a big deal, but now isn't really much of a deal at all, except among the extreme bigots of the world.

    As for Gay parades....those also are diminishing. It used to be that it was deemed important to have a parade to let people who are closeted or uncomfortable see that they are not alone and marginalized as many would have them believe. Now, the younger generation doesn't feel the need or see the value in them. I have seen the numbers of participants and attendees fall pretty dramatically over the last decade...which is sad in some ways...but a sign of progress in many other ways.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #192
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Good gosh, stop comparing gays to the plights of slaves. So getting formally married (versus a civil union) is akin to forced labor and post whippings?

    And last I checked, gay people have been working and voting for a long, long time.

    Little dramatic, don't you think?
    Not slaves, the civil rights of blacks, as in during Jim Crow, etc.
    More like not being able to marry a white person.....which was overturned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #193
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    My premise had nothing to do with how the kid would see it.
    Well...that's really all that matters. A sperm donor may desperately want to believe that they are the kids "real father"...but ultimately, who the kid determines to be their father is really all that matters. If a child sees his adoptive father as his real father....he is the real father. The biological father/sperm donor will always remain that.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #194
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Did you ignore my last sentence in that post on purpose or accident? I already said he is a parent if the sperm is used, but just that he is sperm donor up until that point.
    Didn't ignore it at all. It was added after I replied. Regardless, it doesn't make him a parent. It makes him the biological father as well as the sperm donor.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Well...that's really all that matters. A sperm donor may desperately want to believe that they are the kids "real father"...but ultimately, who the kid determines to be their father is really all that matters. If a child sees his adoptive father as his real father....he is the real father. The biological father/sperm donor will always remain that.
    Really dude, this isn't hard to figure out. The real facts of the matter aren't determined by what jimmy boy might think those facts are. Otherwise, who is to say which way is up or which way is down. Hell, If I thought down is left and up is the color blue in your world I would be right. However, in reality, I would not be right.

  6. #196
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Really dude, this isn't hard to figure out. The real facts of the matter aren't determined by what jimmy boy might think those facts are. Otherwise, who is to say which way is up or which way is down. Hell, If I thought down is left and up is the color blue in your world I would be right. However, in reality, I would not be right.
    You are mistaking "parent" with "sperm donor" or "Biological father". They are not the same. A kid may want to believe that his adoptive father is his biological father...and he would be wrong.
    On the other hand, the same kid may refuse to accept his biological father/sperm donor as his "real parent" because that person had zero to do with parenting him and raising him, and the kid would be absolutely correct.
    Parenting is not donating a sperm or an egg. That is where you premise fails.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #197
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You're mistaking the "growing" part.

    Straight people will never celebrate and promote gay marriage. They'll tolerate it and accept it as reality, but you're not going to see it become mainstream America. That's where a huge miscalculation is being made.

    The media is all over this stuff, but it's not topical in everyday America. It's background noise. CNN and MSNBC try to promote it and act as if the US is just a huge version of South Beach or San Francisco. It's just not.

    The vast overwhelming majority of America just ignores its gay communities, not out of spite, but out of practicality and indifference. Even the northeast, with it's say-one-thing-but-live-another attitude treats gays as sideshows more than serious public people, unless they are serious people who keep their private lives private. No one wants to know your sexual details no matter who you are.

    This will pass, and then there'll still be this huge "Look-at-me!" contingent of gays that need desperately to be recognized and coddled. The gay parade must go on.
    um i don't celebrate hetero sexual marriage but ill celebrate if my friends or family get married doesn't matter if their gay or not


    im happy to hear that gay couples can get married in some places now

    so your talking to a hetero sexual who will celebrate a gay marriage and who supports the rights of people to enter into such a contract there are a lot of other people who feel the same way when their friends and family who are gay get married or who approve of gay marriage

    so you don't speak for hetero sexuals

    not like the gay community is apart from all of are community's not like were actually separate from one another just dividing people by traits hear

    now what do you mean by private cause i see tons of people who don't hide being hetero sexual do you feel the same way about them? I don't consider them a show and they are people

  8. #198
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,210

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yeah, and there was no social engineering about anti-discrimination laws and just in general other races
    Of course not. Intelligent and rational people have seen the high price bigotry wreaks on society and acted on that at times against the wishes of the ignorant. You still seem to defend bigotry for some reason.

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    Of course not. Intelligent and rational people have seen the high price bigotry wreaks on society and acted on that at times against the wishes of the ignorant. You still seem to defend bigotry for some reason.
    You mean like how I don't support anti-discrimination laws? That has nothing to do with supporting bigotry, but supporting the rights of people to their property, association, labor and service.

  10. #200
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Record Support for Gay Marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You mean like how I don't support anti-discrimination laws? That has nothing to do with supporting bigotry, but supporting the rights of people to their property, association, labor and service.
    Don't fool yourself. You may want to believe you aren't supporting bigotry, but that is exactly what you are doing.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 20 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •