Page 43 of 73 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 728

Thread: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

  1. #421
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You have just described 2 ways in which he is a weak leader.
    I disagree. What I described were errors in judgement. Even strong leaders make errors in judgement. Abraham Lincoln was a strong leader, but he misjudged the level of difficulty that was necessary to defeat the South.

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Many other examples-like lack of credibility and lack of political and diplomatic capital could also be mentioned.
    If lack of credibility were a symptom of weak leadership, then politicians in general are all weak leaders because, in general, they are liars. FDR was a strong leader, but he produced a totally fabricated map of Nazi plans for conquest of the US. Any person with sense should view what they say as suspicious.

    As far as diplomatic capital is concerned, Obama should be credited with making significant progress with diffusing tensions with Iran. If he had little or no diplomatic capital AND/OR little or no political capital that would simply not be possible.

  2. #422
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    As far as diplomatic capital is concerned, Obama should be credited with making significant progress with diffusing tensions with Iran. If he had little or no diplomatic capital AND/OR little or no political capital that would simply not be possible.
    There are two assunptions there. One that Obama is at all responsible for "diffusing tensions with Iran" and two that tensions with Iran have been diffused. They're still enriching uranium and their nuclear program is still in full swing.

  3. #423
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I disagree. What I described were errors in judgement. Even strong leaders make errors in judgement. Abraham Lincoln was a strong leader, but he misjudged the level of difficulty that was necessary to defeat the South.

    Weak leaders make more errors. Nobody is perfect.
    If lack of credibility were a symptom of weak leadership, then politicians in general are all weak leaders because, in general, they are liars. FDR was a strong leader, but he produced a totally fabricated map of Nazi plans for conquest of the US. Any person with sense should view what they say as suspicious.
    Again, weak leaders tend to lack credibility. A strong leader would back up what he says. As an example-see Syria's red line. I think we as Americans would do best to remain suspicious of our govt and our no-longer adversarial press.
    As far as diplomatic capital is concerned, Obama should be credited with making significant progress with diffusing tensions with Iran. If he had little or no diplomatic capital AND/OR little or no political capital that would simply not be possible.
    I cant agree-Iran is well on its way to nukes, and after Syria and the current mess in Ukraine is in an even stronger position. China cant be far off, emboldened in its desire for more of the pacific.

  4. #424
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    There are two assunptions there. One that Obama is all responsible for "diffusing tensions with Iran" and two that tensions with Iran have been diffused. They're still enriching uranium and their nuclear program is still in full swing.
    First of all I didn't say he was ALL responsible. So that was not an assumption.

    Second of all Iran's nuclear program is not in FULL SWING. Why? Because they ARE NOT enriching uranium to 20 percent anymore. So you are wrong there.

  5. #425
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I cant agree-Iran is well on its way to nukes,
    You said he lacked political and diplomatic capital and I'm disputing that. Furthermore you have no strong, credible evidence that Iran is developing a nuclear weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    and after Syria and the current mess in Ukraine is in an even stronger position. China cant be far off, emboldened in its desire for more of the pacific.
    I didn't say Obama doesn't have problems. And this one in Ukraine didn't have to happen if he was on top of what Victoria Nuland was doing.
    Last edited by MildSteel; 03-06-14 at 07:08 PM.

  6. #426
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

    As far as the so called "red line" with Syria, that's an issue that has been way over inflated for political purposes. First of all, it hasn't been proven that Assad ordered the attacks. That's one thing. Next even if we assume that he did, something was done about it. There was an agreement reached where Assad would destroy his chemical weapons. So you can't say he did nothing substantial in response.

  7. #427
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    First of all I didn't say he was ALL responsible. So that was not an assumption.

    Second of all Iran's nuclear program is not in FULL SWING. Why? Because they ARE NOT enriching uranium to 20 percent anymore. So you are wrong there.
    Sorry, my ommision, I corrected it right away, it should read "at all responsible". As to that last, that's not a change and has been the case since 2003 (according to National Intel Estimates), so that has zero to do with the Obama admin. Though both the US and Israel believe some "weaponization-related activities" have continued, and still do.

  8. #428
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    As far as the so called "red line" with Syria, that's an issue that has been way over inflated for political purposes. First of all, it hasn't been proven that Assad ordered the attacks. That's one thing. Next even if we assume that he did, something was done about it. There was an agreement reached where Assad would destroy his chemical weapons. So you can't say he did nothing substantial in response.
    With absolutely NO assurance they've been destroyed. Besides, that was a multi-national effort, one that included nations that still have some pull with the Syrians.

  9. #429
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    You said he lacked political and diplomatic capital and I'm disputing that. Furthermore you have no strong, credible evidence that Iran is developing a nuclear weapon
    Iran is doing the exact same thing now as it was before Obama. It has curtailed nothing. I suppose that Iran refining uranium to levels far above those needed for nuclear power, while developing nuclear detonators and missiles capable of nuclear delivery are purely coincidental, huh?


    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I didn't say Obama doesn't have problems. And this one in Ukraine didn't have to happen if he was on top of what Victoria Nuland was doing.
    Weak leaders tend to run into problems.

  10. #430
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obama warns US will 'isolate' Russia if Putin doesn't pull back in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    First of all I didn't say he was ALL responsible. So that was not an assumption.

    Second of all Iran's nuclear program is not in FULL SWING. Why? Because they ARE NOT enriching uranium to 20 percent anymore. So you are wrong there.
    They can be back to 20% in under a month. Its a plot to wring more handouts from the west while very quickly being able to resume. North Korea did the EXACT same thing.

Page 43 of 73 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •