Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 224

Thread: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex...

  1. #41
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    "Creed" isn't mentioned in the New Mexico law. Creed to some means a set of fundamental beliefs - that is not protected. You can have a fundamental belief that blacks are bad, you still can't discriminate them as Public Accommodation subject business. Now one could argue that creed is synonymous with "religion" and that would be true.

    28-1-7. Unlawful discriminatory practice.
    F. any person in any public accommodation to make a distinction, directly or indirectly, in offering or refusing to offer its services, facilities, accommodations or goods to any person because of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, spousal affiliation or physical or mental handicap, provided that the physical or mental handicap is unrelated to a person's ability to acquire or rent and maintain particular real property or housing accommodation ;

    However the hairdresser would be able to show that he serves many Christians and therefore doesn't discriminate against customers based on religion. The fact that she is a politician though, and that he objects to her position on secular law, is not a protected status.


    >>>>
    Great post.

    Moreover, if the Governor were to change her opposition to SSM, I'm sure she would be welcomed back for service.

    "No shoes, no service"

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    05-02-16 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,809

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex marriage* - NY Daily News

    Soooo, here it is, the other side of the coin. For all of you who cheered the veto of the Arizona protection of religion bill, we now have the flip side. Governor Martinez' hairdresser refuses to do business with her any more because of her views on gay marriage. Anyone want to try to defend this bigotry? After all the claims of Equality, it seems that equality really ISN'T the point after all.

    Personally, I'd sue his panties off just to make a point.
    the governor should just go across the street and give her money to someone else. hair stylists come a dime a dozen anyway.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    A business is free to refuse to serve people unless the reason is that the people are part of a protected class under the law. What those protected classes are varies in different states and localities.
    So then yes. You'd be fine with businesses discriminating based on ones "beliefs".
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    So then yes. You'd be fine with businesses discriminating based on ones "beliefs".
    As long as it's done in a legal manner, absolutely.

  5. #45
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    So then yes. You'd be fine with businesses discriminating based on ones "beliefs".
    What part of "under the law" confused you? Let me slow this down a bit for you: People are free legally to discriminate against others unless the reason is based on whatever protections the state or locality provides. Frequently this is for good reasons, such as stores refusing to serve people without shirts or shoes.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #46
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    "Creed" isn't mentioned in the New Mexico law. Creed to some means a set of fundamental beliefs - that is not protected. You can have a fundamental belief that blacks are bad, you still can't discriminate them as Public Accommodation subject business. Now one could argue that creed is synonymous with "religion" and that would be true.

    28-1-7. Unlawful discriminatory practice.
    F. any person in any public accommodation to make a distinction, directly or indirectly, in offering or refusing to offer its services, facilities, accommodations or goods to any person because of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, spousal affiliation or physical or mental handicap, provided that the physical or mental handicap is unrelated to a person's ability to acquire or rent and maintain particular real property or housing accommodation ;

    However the hairdresser would be able to show that he serves many Christians and therefore doesn't discriminate against customers based on religion. The fact that she is a politician though, and that he objects to her position on secular law, is not a protected status.


    >>>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    So then a business owner who discriminates against a gay person who supports gay marriage would be ok as long as they refuse service based on that persons support of gay marriage?
    The sexuality of the person is irrelevant so long as that refusal of service is to all that oppose SSM. If the owner only choses gays, or blacks, or the disabled to ban...then the reasoning for the ban is moot and the group he is excluding from service is now the issue.

    The hair dresser chose the Governer to ban...not all persons that oppose SSM, or All governors that oppose SSM. One person.

  7. #47
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    So then a business owner who discriminates against a gay person who supports gay marriage would be ok as long as they refuse service based on that persons support of gay marriage?
    It's a tricky concept because there are competing liberties at work.

    Say you owned a bar. A group of skinheads moves in and wants to make your bar their neighborhood bar. It's fairly likely that a constant skinhead presence at your bar is going to negatively affect other customers, harming your business. It would seem obvious that a business should be well within their rights to kick the skinheads out. But can a business owner kick someone out because they suspect someone may be racist? Put another way, a bar is going to be equally adverse to being frequented by black gang members. But can they deny someone entrance because they're black and wear saggy pants. Wouldn’t that likely be racial discrimination?

    What we're really asking is where my right to be included meets your right to exclude me. And I don't think that line is very clear.

  8. #48
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    The sexuality of the person is irrelevant so long as that refusal of service is to all that oppose SSM. If the owner only choses gays, or blacks, or the disabled to ban...then the reasoning for the ban is moot and the group he is excluding from service is now the issue.

    The hair dresser chose the Governer to ban...not all persons that oppose SSM, or All governors that oppose SSM. One person.
    It goes a bit further than that. Political stance on an issue is not protected. The hair dresser could legally refuse service to any one who opposed SSM. Not a good idea from a business sense, but legal.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #49
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    So then yes. You'd be fine with businesses discriminating based on ones "beliefs".
    Your question is too open ended? Discrimination how...What belief?

    if you wore a T-shirt into my restuarant saying..."I believe in raping babies"...Can I ban you from my restuarant or does your 1st amendment right trump?
    Last edited by 1750Texan; 03-04-14 at 06:38 PM.

  10. #50
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    It's a tricky concept because there are competing liberties at work.

    Say you owned a bar. A group of skinheads moves in and wants to make your bar their neighborhood bar. It's fairly likely that a constant skinhead presence at your bar is going to negatively affect other customers, harming your business. It would seem obvious that a business should be well within their rights to kick the skinheads out. But can a business owner kick someone out because they suspect someone may be racist? Put another way, a bar is going to be equally adverse to being frequented by black gang members. But can they deny someone entrance because they're black and wear saggy pants. Wouldn’t that likely be racial discrimination?

    What we're really asking is where my right to be included meets your right to exclude me. And I don't think that line is very clear.
    Both would be legal.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •