Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 224

Thread: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex...

  1. #141
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    I explained why they are different in detail - you don't want to see it. Nothing personal, but that is your problem not mine.
    Incorrect. It is not that I cannot see it, it's that you cannot satisfactorily explain it. You've done nothing but appeal to authority and make up BS to excuse your hypocrisy. It's OK, most people aren't looking for the 2-Way street. They want to Roadhouse it, My Way or the Highway. Many cannot accept the repercussions and responsibilities of freedom; so they must scrounge and flip flop and logical fallacy and deflect as much as possible to try to make it seem like their arguments are anything but the hypocritical pile of propaganda, BS tripe that those arguments actually are.

    The Governor's opinion on gay marriage is born from religion, something you'd claim is OK until such exercise violates your sensibilities. Then you turn tail and turn argument. Nothing personal, but that's your problem, not mine.

    I do not entertain the ravings of propagandists, so this will be the end of it then. You cannot speak from base, you cannot explain how another man owns the property and labor of another, all you can do is deflect to law (appeal to authority) and gloss over as much as you can so that you can present your 1-Way street as a reasoned position. But free is a 2-Way street. Always has been. Always will be.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #142
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I've seen your arguments. It'd be akin to you purporting free speech for Westboro because of religious freedom, but Muslims can't speak freely because "taxi drivers aren't protected".
    That's because that is exactly what these arguments come down to.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #143
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 10:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I've seen your arguments. It'd be akin to you purporting free speech for Westboro because of religious freedom, but Muslims can't speak freely because "taxi drivers aren't protected".
    I don't know where you get this but I've brought up how the Muslim Taxi Drivers in Minnesota violated the law because they refused to pick up disabled people with service dogs many times in these threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You can say you support this and that, but you can't WAIT to move the goalposts if it doesn't fit your ideology.
    Bull****, I've shifted no "goalposts". Elane Photography clearly violated the law and it went all the way to the NM Supreme Court (see previously supplied link). The hairdresser broke no law because the reason he refused service is outside the scope of New Mexico Statute 8-1-7 (Unlawful discriminatory practice).

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    In your world, politicians aren't allowed to exercise religious freedom. Any other occupations you want to oppress while you're at it?
    In my world politician's are free to exercise their religious freedom all day long and twice on Sundays if they want to. However "religious freedom" does not mean they can codify their beliefs in the law and make everyone else subject to them.



    >>>>

  4. #144
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Is discrimination "OK"? No, in this context you are asking for a value judgement and in general I disagree with discrimination. To refuse service to a ____________________ (fill in category of people) is something I'm against. However just because someone else chooses to be a jerk toward ____________________ (fill in category of people) doesn't mean I think it should be illegal.
    So should it be illegal or legal in this case?

    The question you should have asked: Or is it legal for discrimination in this case but not in others, in your mind? Yes, see Post #132 as to why.
    Okay, well I'm actually asking the question I wanted to ask. I specifically told you, in the very post you quoted, that I think everyone knows what the law is, did you miss that part? I'm not asking you for your interpretation of the law as it stands. I'm asking you if you think this type of discrimination should legal or illegal.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post

    What part of "businesses should be able to establish their own business model and accept or reject customers as they wish" do ya'll not get? Personally I think Public Accommodation laws should apply to government entities and their business dealings only.


    >>>>
    correction this is what businesses tried to do and they are being sued over it by gay activist.

  6. #146
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    THis thread is just another perfect example of how many people have no clue what law, facts and rights are.

    Just people confusing "feelings" and opinion and biased "emotion" with facts and it shows bad.

    Illegal discrimination has very specific definitions, they vary some by state, county municipality but they are defined. If it doesn't fit that definition then its not illegal, if it does then it is illegal

    Never understood why some people cant grasp this very simply concept.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #147
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    THis thread is just another perfect example of how many people have no clue what law, facts and rights are.

    Just people confusing "feelings" and opinion and biased "emotion" with facts and it shows bad.

    Illegal discrimination has very specific definitions, they vary some by state, county municipality but they are defined. If it doesn't fit that definition then its not illegal, if it does then it is illegal

    Never understood why some people cant grasp this very simply concept.
    ...the question is what discrimination should be okay and what should not. Not what is legal and what is not.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex marriage

    So what?

    It's private enterprise - imo, he/she should be able to refuse to serve anyone they want, for any reason they want.

  9. #149
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Personally, I'd sue his panties off just to make a point.
    As I'm sure (or rather hope) has been said a thousand times in this thread already, there is a distinct difference between refusing to do business because of a position they take and refusing to do business with someone because of a fundamental attribute for which they may not be discriminated against.

    The governor of New Mexico made a conscious decision to oppose same-sex marriage. That has nothing whatsoever in common with someone being of a particular sexual persuasion or gender or any other attribute that is part of a person's fundamental nature and as such not subject to change.

    If said stylist had discarded the governor's business specifically because the governor is Christian (I have no idea if they are), that would be very different.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #150
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    ...the question is what discrimination should be okay and what should not. Not what is legal and what is not.
    weird did you ask me that? nope
    did anybody ask me that? nope
    did the OP even ask that? nope

    the op is one of the ones that doesn't understand the law or rights of people and suggests suing (even though there's nothing to sue for) and says this violates equality, which it doesnt.

    ANd like my post said there are MANY in this thread that referred to law and legality and rights and got it 100% wrong lol this is a fact.
    as far as right or wrong that all subjective opinion that is pretty meanignless and will be different many times when answered by many people.

    BUT if you would like to address a different topic and have a different question for me by all means ask, im an open book

    IMO the law/individual rights are pretty spot on, they may need some tweaking here and there but im pretty good with:

    age, gender, race/origin/color, religion sexual orientation etc I think they are pretty spot on. DO you think those are bad criteria?

    Do you you have a specific question/scenario, ill gladly give my "opinion"
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •