Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 224

Thread: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex...

  1. #91
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So Muslims will now be forced to sell Kosher food and Jews will be forced to design Swastika inspired wedding cakes
    , while people are still locked in 1964 where there was just one issue at play.



    I don't believe that will be happening anytime soon, But you have my permission to believe whatever you want to believe.

  2. #92
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you understand the difference between not serving someone and not selling something?



    Do you understand the difference between reality and your ideas?




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  3. #93
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So Muslims will now be forced to sell Kosher food
    Nope.

    Public Accommodation laws do not require the sale of any goods and services not normally offered to the public. If a Muslim business does not normally sell kosher food they are not required to add it to their menu. However if a Muslim does decide to add it to their menu, they cannot refuse to sell it to a Japanese person based on race.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    and Jews will be forced to design Swastika inspired wedding cakes, while people are still locked in 1964 where there was just one issue at play.

    Wrong again.

    Nazi is not a class of person protected under race, religion, ethnicity, gender or age (Federal and NM law) or in addition a sexual orientation (NM Law).



    >>>>

  4. #94
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you understand the difference between not serving someone and not selling something?

    1. Services are sold and therefore include in the business transaction. Try getting a plumber to come fix your toilet and tell he you aren't going to pay him for labor, only parts. Or a black man walks into a lunch counter and the owner says "Well I'll sell you wrong hamburger and a potato but I won't cook it for your since that would be serving you so I'm exempt." Ya, that would work well.


    2. The law, see New Mexico Statute 28-1-7 (Unlawful discriminatory practice)": "F. any person in any public accommodation to make a distinction, directly or indirectly, in offering or refusing to offer its services, facilities, accommodations or goods to any person because of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, spousal affiliation or physical or mental handicap, provided that the physical or mental handicap is unrelated to a person's ability to acquire or rent and maintain particular real property or housing accommodation ;



    >>>>

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,647

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    1. Services are sold and therefore include in the business transaction. Try getting a plumber to come fix your toilet and tell he you aren't going to pay him for labor, only parts. Or a black man walks into a lunch counter and the owner says "Well I'll sell you wrong hamburger and a potato but I won't cook it for your since that would be serving you so I'm exempt." Ya, that would work well.


    2. The law, see New Mexico Statute 28-1-7 (Unlawful discriminatory practice)": "F. any person in any public accommodation to make a distinction, directly or indirectly, in offering or refusing to offer its services, facilities, accommodations or goods to any person because of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, spousal affiliation or physical or mental handicap, provided that the physical or mental handicap is unrelated to a person's ability to acquire or rent and maintain particular real property or housing accommodation ;



    >>>>
    exactly the Gov is catholic. which her religious beliefs say that that marriage is between a man and a women. therefore the barber is discriminating against her religious beliefs and therefore is subject to any kind of penalty.

    just as a photographer and a cake maker are subject to fines for not filming or making a cake for a gay wedding.

    if someone wants to claim discrimination for one then they have to claim discrimination for the other or it violates equal protection.

  6. #96
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Personally, I'd sue his panties off .
    I guess that's one way to get into 'em.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I guess that's one way to get into 'em.
    eeeeewwww

  8. #98
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,169

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Clearly bigotry and stupidity is not a monopoly and people of every stripe and persuasion take part. The important thing is to recognize that such behavior is bad no matter from where it comes.

  9. #99
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: The Other Side of the Coin

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    So discriminating on the basis of rational prejudice is good?
    Depends on the circumstances, but discriminating on irrational prejudice is definitely bad.


    What don't you understand about the immorality of using government threats of violence to force people into unwilling and unwanted associations? The very fact that shopkeepers are forced into such associations meets your test of hurting innocent people. These shopkeepers have done no wrong and Totalitarian Liberalism is hurting them.
    The amount of real-life suffering caused by anti-discrimination laws in the 50 years of their existence is absolutely negligible. Not being able to refuse service to a black client at your hotel doesn't make your quality of life worse. By contrast, black families in the segregation era had to restrict their travel using special guides just so they didn't end stranded in a town that wouldn't sell them gas or a place to stay. The amount of suffering prevented by public accommodation laws considerably outstrips the minor burden caused by them.

  10. #100
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Gay hair stylist drops New Mexico governor as client because she opposes same-sex

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post

    Personally, I'd sue his panties off just to make a point.
    I would take him to dinner, show him a good time. That is how I would get those panties off.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •