Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 137

Thread: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

  1. #61
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    You were doing fine until you got to the ad hominem insult. Was that really necessary? And it is been a looooong time since somebody accused me of being a liberal.

    But I disagree. Making money is pretty much the only reason to go into business unless you have taken a vow of poverty or have so much money you don't care if you lose all of a particular investment or are led to run a not-for-profit agency of some kind. A gazillionaire has the luxury of doing whatever he wants with his resources without worrying about keeping a roof over his head or taking care of his family. Few of us can do that.

    If you happen to go into a business that you love, that you enjoy, that you can do nice things for and make people happy, then you will be doubly blessed. But those who are doing nothing but selling nuts and bolts and other stuff that people need or providing a service people have to have, even if they become bored or weary of doing it, are doing no less service for humankind. In the grand scheme of things, what makes an economy work and allows people to prosper are people doing their own thing serving their own interests. And in so doing, they benefit everybody else.
    Your fantasy of what a liberal view is.

    Sorry if you saw it as an insult, but I often feel people don't read well and jump to conclusions not stated in the text. No where did I remotely suggest money is evil, so there was no logical reason for you to make such a statement. I often want to toss the computer when I get such interjections that have nothing to do with what was said.

    And no, money isn't the only reason. When I started my computer app business it was because a saw a need and wanted to find a solution to that need. Money was in there, but the reason was the need. Absent that, we don't do anything. And my major concern is that we meet that need as efficiently and cheaply as possible.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If I am an investor, then yes, I want to see profits....Return on my money. If not, then I will move my money.
    If you invest in something you don't believe in, you will lose money. It has been quite a few years now, so I can't remember who, but they did a profile on one of the news shows (60 minutes I think) of a most successful investor who made money not by seeking profit, but by measuring his belief in the need for the product. I think sometimes assumptions are made about investors that is not wholly true. Again, not that profit isn't important, but that it isn't the only thing.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #63
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,503
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Your fantasy of what a liberal view is.

    Sorry if you saw it as an insult, but I often feel people don't read well and jump to conclusions not stated in the text. No where did I remotely suggest money is evil, so there was no logical reason for you to make such a statement. I often want to toss the computer when I get such interjections that have nothing to do with what was said.

    And no, money isn't the only reason. When I started my computer app business it was because a saw a need and wanted to find a solution to that need. Money was in there, but the reason was the need. Absent that, we don't do anything. And my major concern is that we meet that need as efficiently and cheaply as possible.
    When an insult is directed at me personally, I generally take it as a personal insult. My post however was not directed at you personally and it was up to you to decide if it did or did not apply to you.

    But good for you if you run your business for no other reason than to be of service. I daresay very few go into an ethical business and succeed unless there is a desire or need for the product or service offered for sale. That is why most people just looking to their own interests and doing what they do to keep a roof over their heads and put dinner on the table are benefitting society in a major way. And it simply does not matter if making money is their only motive for doing it.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #64
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    When an insult is directed at me personally, I generally take it as a personal insult. My post however was not directed at you personally and it was up to you to decide if it did or did not apply to you.

    But good for you if you run your business for no other reason than to be of service. I daresay very few go into an ethical business and succeed unless there is a desire or need for the product or service offered for sale. That is why most people just looking to their own interests and doing what they do to keep a roof over their heads and put dinner on the table are benefitting society in a major way. And it simply does not matter if making money is their only motive for doing it.
    I think you're wrong, and dud once heard an investor say once what I argue. I also guess I have more faith in humanity than you seem to. I think many want to do good and do well. We are led more by our passions than profit when we reach where we can.

    As for your reply. It was to my post. Not sure how you take my reply personal but argue you were replying to me. Still, it would help discourse to address what was actually said. We can move the conversation forward with less distraction.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #65
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If you invest in something you don't believe in, you will lose money. It has been quite a few years now, so I can't remember who, but they did a profile on one of the news shows (60 minutes I think) of a most successful investor who made money not by seeking profit, but by measuring his belief in the need for the product. I think sometimes assumptions are made about investors that is not wholly true. Again, not that profit isn't important, but that it isn't the only thing.
    Nonsense....I don't give a hoot about their altruistic proclivities are, as long as they are keep the ROI first and foremost in their concerns for the shareholders.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #66
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Nonsense....I don't give a hoot about their altruistic proclivities are, as long as they are keep the ROI first and foremost in their concerns for the shareholders.
    I'm saying that concern and passion for the service or product is what is good for the shareholder, and limiting to only profit will eventually cost the shareholder.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #67
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm saying that concern and passion for the service or product is what is good for the shareholder, and limiting to only profit will eventually cost the shareholder.
    Cook was asked a reasonable question, and got uncharacteristically angry...Not good for a shareholder meeting would you say?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #68
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Cook was asked a reasonable question, and got uncharacteristically angry...Not good for a shareholder meeting would you say?
    Maybe not. But it may have been eating at him for awhile. Or that shareholder hit him the wrong way, or Cook had previous dealings with this shareholder, and Cook felt the big picture was being missed. And that picture might be that some proper concern might lead to more or continued profit as opposed to a short time gain the expense of long time gain. I see a need fir follow up as opposed to a knee jerk response.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #69
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Maybe not. But it may have been eating at him for awhile. Or that shareholder hit him the wrong way, or Cook had previous dealings with this shareholder, and Cook felt the big picture was being missed. And that picture might be that some proper concern might lead to more or continued profit as opposed to a short time gain the expense of long time gain. I see a need fir follow up as opposed to a knee jerk response.
    Maybe not what? And maybe Cook wanted to mug for Al Gore, who was on stage with him....Either way it was unbecoming.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #70
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Maybe not what? And maybe Cook wanted to mug for Al Gore, who was on stage with him....Either way it was unbecoming.
    Read your question. Assume the answer is to your question. Not good for a shareholder meeting? Maybe not.

    The point is, neither of us know enough to say more than maybe. There COULD be reason for the response. It may even have been appropriate. Without more information I can't really say.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •