Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 137

Thread: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

  1. #51
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,560
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    The word "just" (Which is absent from the quote but present in the title) is really important here.
    Were I an Apple stockholder I'd expect them to get me the maximum ROI and the I would decide what endeavors should be supported. And it sure wouldn't be any of that green nonsense.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  2. #52
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Are we allowed to have different philosophy? Or is it a case of you know better?
    Oh hell j, you do realize that discussion means differences. But really, is money your only motivation? How about family? The point is that money as a motivation has limits. It can ruin a business as fast or faster as no concern for profit.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #53
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,522
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Oh hell j, you do realize that discussion means differences. But really, is money your only motivation? How about family? The point is that money as a motivation has limits. It can ruin a business as fast or faster as no concern for profit.
    Running a business when profits are not a motive is not a good way to stay in business. There really is no good reason to run a business that doesn't make money, unless for some reason you need a tax write off for one that does.

    I am always a bit bemused at how somebody gets to the point that they see making money as evil. But it is never the money they personally make that is evil--I don't know that I've ever met anybody who went to his/her boss and said, "I'm being paid too much and it is ruining my life. Please reduce my salary." But some sure can have harsh criticisms for others who don't look to reduce their personal profits.

    And as far as Apple is concerned, I invest in businesses who look to make as much profit as they ethically can and who are good at making it.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Doing nice things is what charities are for.

    Making money as ruthlessly as the free market/law allows is what business is for.

    If Tim Cook wants so desperately to do good in the world - which is admirable - then why not start by giving every his yearly salary AND bonuses to charity (he is rich - he doesn't need either)?

  5. #55
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,689

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Doing nice things is what charities are for.

    Making money as ruthlessly as the free market/law allows is what business is for.

    If Tim Cook wants so desperately to do good in the world - which is admirable - then why not start by giving every his yearly salary AND bonuses to charity (he is rich - he doesn't need either)?
    He doesn't use his own money because he is liberal. He can't really give to charity unless it is technically other people's money.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #56
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Were I an Apple stockholder I'd expect them to get me the maximum ROI and the I would decide what endeavors should be supported. And it sure wouldn't be any of that green nonsense.
    I actually am an Apple stockholder. I became one when shares were 331 each. I'm cool with Cook wanting to help people.
    ( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)

  7. #57
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,560
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    I actually am an Apple stockholder. I became one when shares were 331 each. I'm cool with Cook wanting to help people.
    It's a shame you can't take a deduction over the charitable giving they are doing for you.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  8. #58
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Running a business when profits are not a motive is not a good way to stay in business. There really is no good reason to run a business that doesn't make money, unless for some reason you need a tax write off for one that does.

    I am always a bit bemused at how somebody gets to the point that they see making money as evil. But it is never the money they personally make that is evil--I don't know that I've ever met anybody who went to his/her boss and said, "I'm being paid too much and it is ruining my life. Please reduce my salary." But some sure can have harsh criticisms for others who don't look to reduce their personal profits.

    And as far as Apple is concerned, I invest in businesses who look to make as much profit as they ethically can and who are good at making it.
    I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying making money isn't important. Having other reasons as well doesn't mean you forget money altogether. I'm not sure where this either / or thinking comes from. I merely say you need more reason that than that. Not just money, but maybe a belief in the service, or wanting to contribute in some way, something keeps you going beyond the money issue. Even when I believe something is helping humanity, I suspect money has to be in there somewhere. It's rarely, if ever, good to only be one.

    So, please try to stay with what was said and not some stupid cartoon version of your liberal fantasy.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #59
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,522
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying making money isn't important. Having other reasons as well doesn't mean you forget money altogether. I'm not sure where this either / or thinking comes from. I merely say you need more reason that than that. Not just money, but maybe a belief in the service, or wanting to contribute in some way, something keeps you going beyond the money issue. Even when I believe something is helping humanity, I suspect money has to be in there somewhere. It's rarely, if ever, good to only be one.

    So, please try to stay with what was said and not some stupid cartoon version of your liberal fantasy.
    You were doing fine until you got to the ad hominem insult. Was that really necessary? And it is been a looooong time since somebody accused me of being a liberal.

    But I disagree. Making money is pretty much the only reason to go into business unless you have taken a vow of poverty or have so much money you don't care if you lose all of a particular investment or are led to run a not-for-profit agency of some kind. A gazillionaire has the luxury of doing whatever he wants with his resources without worrying about keeping a roof over his head or taking care of his family. Few of us can do that.

    If you happen to go into a business that you love, that you enjoy, that you can do nice things for and make people happy, then you will be doubly blessed. But those who are doing nothing but selling nuts and bolts and other stuff that people need or providing a service people have to have, even if they become bored or weary of doing it, are doing no less service for humankind. In the grand scheme of things, what makes an economy work and allows people to prosper are people doing their own thing serving their own interests. And in so doing, they benefit everybody else.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #60
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Oh hell j, you do realize that discussion means differences. But really, is money your only motivation? How about family? The point is that money as a motivation has limits. It can ruin a business as fast or faster as no concern for profit.
    If I am an investor, then yes, I want to see profits....Return on my money. If not, then I will move my money.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •