Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 137

Thread: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

  1. #11
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

    Just another reason my pc is windows based and my phone is running android. I really dislike apple
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #12
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Right wings get absolutely irate when you suggest profit isn't the only motivation to do anything.

    Although if profit isn't the only motivation, why do their computers have the hardware marked up 200%?

    i should also point out that thinking "green energy isn't profitable" is a short sighted idea.
    Context Duece. This guy's number one duty in his job is, you guessed it, making a profit for the shareholders. Of course shareholders would be irate, he just admitted he's not doing his job and further admits he's throwing the company's money away.

    They have the insane markup they have because they have been proprietary from the beginning and they can charge whatever they want. It helps make up for their historic lack in market share.

    And Cook, who has plenty of his own money is more than welcome to throw his money away on these projects.

  3. #13
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Context Duece. This guy's number one duty in his job is, you guessed it, making a profit for the shareholders. Of course shareholders would be irate, he just admitted he's not doing his job and further admits he's throwing the company's money away.

    They have the insane markup they have because they have been proprietary from the beginning and they can charge whatever they want. It helps make up for their historic lack in market share.

    And Cook, who has plenty of his own money is more than welcome to throw his money away on these projects.
    I would suggest that the vast majority of those shareholders are satisfied. I've owned stock in Apple since like 2005 so I say keep up the good ****in work!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #14
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I would suggest that the vast majority of those shareholders are satisfied.
    Not the bar he has to meet where it comes to his legal and fuduciary duty. But I will note soot's post, which if accurate let's him off malfeasance charges (don't know if the quotes are what Cook actually said or the article author's take on it).

    If this was up for shareholder vote and the one side lost only to further complain about it now, that is not Cook's fault.

  5. #15
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

    There's a difference between profit being the primary thing and "only" thing. Any company that forgets to build a strong corporate structure around value is time limited.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #16
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

    Considering that Apple's margins and profits have been falling for over a year now, and its once dominance in both the phone and tablet markets are gone and wont come back.. then I think he is laying the land for less spectacular but steady profits and hence dividends than what Apple investors are use too.

    If the rumours are correct and Apple's big push into China has been an utter failure, and with the market share numbers and sales numbers that are out.. then Apple is in serious trouble in the medium and long run and need another "next big thing". There is a lot of dejavu with the old Mac vs PC wars in the 1980s, with Apple losing yet again. They will struggle to keep high margins and high prices as people realize more and more you dont need a 650 dollar iPhone or 500 dollar iPad to do the things they want. And if the US carriers get their way and get rid of the subsidy schemes, then Apple will be in serious trouble. Not a lot of American's can afford a 700 dollar phone...and the US is the only market where Apple has a major marketshare to defend.. it has given up the rest of the planet pretty much.

    Now the question is going to be .. what is the next big thing from Apple.. and that is the real big 1 billion dollar question. iWatch? Doubt it, wearable tech is more hype than reality. Plus Android wearable tech is already out there and not exactly having mind boggling sales, although that might change with the Samsung Fit. Apple TV.. suicide, since the typical margin for Apple products would mean that they would have to sell a 40% more expensive TV than their competitors. I mean no one in their right mind will pay 1000 dollars for a TV when a similar tv can be gotten at 600 dollars.

    Then what is there... we shall see.., but considering the mythical innovation out of Apple has all but dried up since it came out with the iPad 4 years ago.. then well.
    PeteEU

  7. #17
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Not the bar he has to meet where it comes to his legal and fuduciary duty. But I will note soot's post, which if accurate let's him off malfeasance charges (don't know if the quotes are what Cook actually said or the article author's take on it).

    If this was up for shareholder vote and the one side lost only to further complain about it now, that is not Cook's fault.
    I'm going to go ahead and suggest that Cook knows how to make a profit better than this writer, or you. Image is a big part of how Apple gets away with their prices. An image targeting the liberal hippie college students.

    If you are a shareholder, go ahead and press charges. See if you can convince any judge or jury on the planet that freaking Apple isn't profitable enough.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #18
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, that's what shareholders want to hear....Your investment isn't about making a profit....So, I wonder now how long before Apple becomes yet another 'used to be' on the trash heap of good companies ran into the ground by poor businessmen with stupid ideas?
    Actually Mr.Cook is partially right, and the NCPPR is partially wrong. Cook is right that profit is NOT businesses ONLY focus, NCPPR is right that business needs to make a profit. Jack Welch who invented shareholder value management style where the focus is almost exclusively about profit, has come to realize of late he was wrong. The focus should be on the long term health of the business and customer service. This means that sometimes taking short term loss for long term gain. It means much longer term thinking. Those green projects may not have a short term payoff, the payoff may be in the knowledge and the application for later more refined and profitable approach. The ideas may be stupid short term, its the long term were they may be brilliant. Business is about balance, short term, long term, profit now, profit later.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  9. #19
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and suggest that Cook knows how to make a profit better than this writer, or you. Image is a big part of how Apple gets away with their prices. An image targeting the liberal hippie college students.

    If you are a shareholder, go ahead and press charges. See if you can convince any judge or jury on the planet that freaking Apple isn't profitable enough.
    Try to at least read the posts you're responding to.

    That said, even though you're responding to something I did not say, you still get it wrong. Doesn't matter what this writer or myself could do in terms of making a profit. If Cook said what the author of the OP said he did, he's derelict in HIS duty. However, as I noted soot posted more about the incident. If the author of soot's article is correct, what Cook actually said was materially different than what the OP article claims.

  10. #20
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Try to at least read the posts you're responding to.

    That said, even though you're responding to something I did not say, you still get it wrong. Doesn't matter what this writer or myself could do in terms of making a profit. If Cook said what the author of the OP said he did, he's derelict in HIS duty. However, as I noted soot posted more about the incident. If the author of soot's article is correct, what Cook actually said was materially different than what the OP article claims.
    No, it wouldn't be. Isn't just about making a profit. Had he said "Isn't about making a profit," you might have an argument.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •