Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 137

Thread: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

  1. #121
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    I always allow for the possibility of being wrong. But I still consider what the most likely option is. And in this case, do I think its more likely that Apple has a trick up its sleeve or its merely being defensive because those who are most closely related to the company that do not actually work for it aren't impressed with the direction the company is headed?

    Probability tells me the later is more likely true.
    Based on Fiddytrees response, I don't think so.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #122
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    So you're defending the fact that Apple is disappointing on profits because of "everything else" but you have no clue what that "everything else entails." How convenient of a position.
    I don't think I was really defending Apple per se as opposed to pointing out a misconception that the OP made.
    ( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)

  3. #123
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    1. It really hasn't done that well as of lately. Its still down almost $200 from its high.
    Most people thought the stock was overvalued at that point, perhaps still. But by and large few are seeing Apple as in a serious trouble spot.

    2. How do you define "incredibly" well?
    Well, that depends. One could compare the company at as far back as the mid-1990s, or even within the past decade. But certainly we can talk about how the company has been doing since the financial crisis, and they have still been doing well in terms of stock or their products. Challenges always remain (and there will be with more and more emphasis being placed on pure internet service-an area Apple has never been good at), but right now things are pretty good.

    3. And a lack of innovation with their products that has allowed Google's Andriod a foot in the door.
    This depends on the product. Some of their laptop line is doing well, their pro desktop line remains to be seen (supply is a serious negative, however), their phone line is doing well (but decline was inevitable), Mac OS is having its twilight years (though I prefer it and Windows 7 over mobile OS any day of the week), and their Apple TV line is still the most popular (but I think the most utterly useless) in its market. Its cross-platform desktop software is murky at best (with iTunes becoming a bloated mess only truly used to sync the device and buy music).

    4. It was to send a message.
    To have it and the organization summarily dismissed and ridiculed throughout the press and their stockholders? Great job. I suppose it plays well for the radio show crowd and maybe some internet libertarians, but it's not getting much sympathy elsewhere. Then again, most of those praising the organization for its proposal have had little historical knowledge of the company to begin with.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 03-07-14 at 08:51 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Most people thought the stock was overvalued at that point, perhaps still. But by and large few are seeing Apple as in a serious trouble spot.

    Well, that depends. One could compare the company at as far back as the mid-1990s, or even within the past decade. But certainly we can talk about how the company has been doing since the financial crisis, and they have still been doing well in terms of stock or their products. Challenges always remain (and there will be with more and more emphasis being placed on pure internet service-an area Apple has never been good at), but right now things are pretty good.



    This depends on the product. Some of their laptop line is doing well, their pro desktop line remains to be seen (supply is a serious negative, however), their phone line is doing well (but decline was inevitable), Mac OS is having its twilight years (though I prefer it and Windows 7 over mobile OS any day of the week), and their Apple TV line is still the most popular (but I think the most utterly useless) in its market. Its cross-platform desktop software is murky at best (with iTunes becoming a bloated mess only truly used to sync the device and buy music).



    To have it and the organization summarily dismissed and ridiculed throughout the press and their stockholders? Great job. I suppose it plays well for the radio show crowd and maybe some internet libertarians, but it's not getting much sympathy elsewhere. Then again, most of those praising the organization for its proposal have had little historical knowledge of the company to begin with.
    Do you know how stocks work? I'm going to assume you don't. Stock price is determined by short term interest. Whatever they've done over the last decade is great for those who bought it in the last decade. But for the much larger crowd of those who have bought the stock in the last two years, the stock has been flat. Past performance means nothing until we have time machines that let you buy stocks from the past.

    Also you calling it overvalued is hindsight bias in its finest. Unless of course you're obscenely rich because you have foresight on what will happen to stocks before they do. And you cannot just discredit the fact that it's $200 off it's all time high, and say the stock is performing well. Fact is Tim Cook has been an insanely uninspiring CEO. Apple has let other players in their markets and their profits are shrinking as a result. They still have a lot of cash and with that comes a lot of opportunity to expand their revenue base. People are complaining because they fear those opportunities are being squandered by the day. All the green projects in the world doesn't cover up a decline in interest in the company and it's products.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    I don't think I was really defending Apple per se as opposed to pointing out a misconception that the OP made.
    I'm not sure it was a misconception on his part. Anyone familiar with business knows that it takes a lot of different things to fall in line to make a profit. Many of which do not directly improve profit in the short term. So it sort of goes without saying that apple worries about a lot more then strictly it's bottom line, because those things affect future bottom lines.

    Investors know that. I've owned many a company that have made me large returns (% wise, since I don't have much money to play with as a college student) not based on their current revenue but based on future products still in the research phase. Company's that lose money can go up in stock price based on what the company is doing. So for Tim Cook to excuse the current situation of the company as "them doing things other then make profits" is exactly that, a defensive excuse. People aren't blind dead and dumb to what's going on at Apple, it's just more likely they aren't impressed. And Tim Cook isn't doing his company any favors by being defensive, thus giving the appearance that nothing exciting is going on with the company in the future. A tremendous PR blunder on his part.

  6. #126
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    I'm not sure it was a misconception on his part. Anyone familiar with business knows that it takes a lot of different things to fall in line to make a profit. Many of which do not directly improve profit in the short term. So it sort of goes without saying that apple worries about a lot more then strictly it's bottom line, because those things affect future bottom lines.

    Investors know that. I've owned many a company that have made me large returns (% wise, since I don't have much money to play with as a college student) not based on their current revenue but based on future products still in the research phase. Company's that lose money can go up in stock price based on what the company is doing. So for Tim Cook to excuse the current situation of the company as "them doing things other then make profits" is exactly that, a defensive excuse. People aren't blind dead and dumb to what's going on at Apple, it's just more likely they aren't impressed. And Tim Cook isn't doing his company any favors by being defensive, thus giving the appearance that nothing exciting is going on with the company in the future. A tremendous PR blunder on his part.
    Based off of his response to the news article, I'm going to assume he's not part of the "anyone familiar with business" group. (Which could be interpreted anywhere between "took a required economics class in high school" to "took a few business classes in college"). I'm not really interested in having a discussion on business practices. I just wanted to point out that Tim Cook isn't completely disregarding profit for his company and just wants to help make the world a better place in general. I don't think such activism pursued by CEOs is anything new.
    ( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Based on Fiddytrees response, I don't think so.
    What about his response? Perhaps if you could go back in time 10 years and buy the stock you're in a good place, but there are plenty of concerns in the short term that fiddytree did nothing to address.

    I respect the hell out of him, but what he said doesn't mean all is well in Apple land. Just because the stock has done well over the last ten years does not mean it will do well over the next ten. See Microsoft.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    What about his response? Perhaps if you could go back in time 10 years and buy the stock you're in a good place, but there are plenty of concerns in the short term that fiddytree did nothing to address.

    I respect the hell out of him, but what he said doesn't mean all is well in Apple land. Just because the stock has done well over the last ten years does not mean it will do well over the next ten. See Microsoft.
    But it doesn't mean it won't either. Success often depends on what else you do. It'll be interesting watching what actually happens.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    Based off of his response to the news article, I'm going to assume he's not part of the "anyone familiar with business" group. (Which could be interpreted anywhere between "took a required economics class in high school" to "took a few business classes in college"). I'm not really interested in having a discussion on business practices. I just wanted to point out that Tim Cook isn't completely disregarding profit for his company and just wants to help make the world a better place in general. I don't think such activism pursued by CEOs is anything new.
    And I guarantee you how much money they are spending on making the world a better place doesn't comprise even 1% of their drop in $5B drop in profit last year.

    Oh and taking a dig at my business understanding just makes you look stupid when you turn around and say you're not interested in discussing business. I suppose it's easier for you to argue from a position of ignorance.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But it doesn't mean it won't either. Success often depends on what else you do. It'll be interesting watching what actually happens.
    It's always interesting to watch what happens. Unless your own money is involved of course, then it's maddening. I'm just saying that at this exact moment in time there is valid concern that what Apple is doing is completely uninspiring. That's just what I'm seeing from Tim Cook at the moment, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •