Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 137

Thread: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

  1. #101
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You brought up things like "history between them"... so it is what you were saying, only now shift because you f'ed up in your excuse making.
    I thought you would see there was history between our president and the board member, so the president dressed him down in public. The point you're dancing around is that could be any number if reasons for this that we are not aware of. So I could shift several directions and still be within the context of my claim, but here I gave an example this is nearly exactly to what I was talking about concerning history. And it was about spending capital on good deeds.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    I think if I was an investor, I would have a wait and see approach with this guy, but the leash definitely got shorter. If he does what Jobs did, fine. And do remember, Jobs, even as a liberal, had harsh criticism for Obama's terrible economic policies.

    His job, without dispute, is to maximize shareholder wealth. If you don't agree with that or don't know what it means, then leave the argument and educate yourself, because you are wrong.
    Legally speaking, this is absolutely his job. The only time this is not the case is when he would have to break some regulatory or other law in order to do so. It is funny how conservatives are the ones pointing the former out in this thread, however. But, in another sense it is unsurprising.

    Modern liberal minded people have been sold a bill of goods. They have been told that the main solution to the shortcomings of free market capitalism (environment, social, etc) is "good corporate citizenship". What a load of bull crap. "Good corporate citizenship" only works when it aligns with a corporation's enlightened self interest. When it does not, the fiduciary duty of the CEO remains to maximize profit, and to do so over the interests of any community (inside of the law, of course). A corporation's enlightened self interest shifts as public awareness waxes and wanes. And thus, dependence on "Good Corporate Citizenship" is really just a race to the bottom, albeit perhaps slower than it would have been otherwise.

    The only way to force corporations to further the interests of the community, and make no mistake sometimes they need to be forced, is to make laws that force them to. To beat a dead horse, unless the law forces them to treat the community well, the law often forces them to do the opposite and pursue profit over society.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  3. #103
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I thought you would see there was history between our president and the board member, so the president dressed him down in public. The point you're dancing around is that could be any number if reasons for this that we are not aware of. So I could shift several directions and still be within the context of my claim, but here I gave an example this is nearly exactly to what I was talking about concerning history. And it was about spending capital on good deeds.
    You're playing semantic games, but I'm the one "dancing"... yeah, Ok Joe, whatever...
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #104
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You're playing semantic games, but I'm the one "dancing"... yeah, Ok Joe, whatever...
    J, why do you do this nonsense. I've had one clear point all along. There is likely something you don't know. Why is that difficult for you? S

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #105
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    J, why do you do this nonsense. I've had one clear point all along. There is likely something you don't know. Why is that difficult for you? S
    You're condescending stance aside, you run with that...have fun.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #106
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You're condescending stance aside, you run with that...have fun.
    This your diversion tactic number 2. Again, what don't you understand about the point made? That there is likely something we don't know?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #107
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    This your diversion tactic number 2. Again, what don't you understand about the point made? That there is likely something we don't know?
    I think we have a pretty complete picture
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #108
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I think we have a pretty complete picture
    So, it's impossible that there is nothing you wouldn't know. For clarity, is that your position?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #109
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,656

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What? Gore sits on the board, and Obama former EPA thug just hired. Of course it's political.
    You've continually applied a point of view which is almost entirely irrelevant to the situation. There wasn't much politics here. Continue to ignore all of the facts, stand on your mountain made of ant hills, and trumpet the call to profit all you want. However, you have continually ignored all of the following:

    1) Apple has done incredibly well for its stockholders and remains a juggernaut in the industry.

    2) Apple has rebuilt its company image on being more green-friendly for years after being trashed in the past by not doing so. Since then, Apple's image has remained strong (not without problems stemming from patent lawsuits and overseas accounts, but positive enough) and the stock has done incredibly well.

    3) Apple's problem as of late has not been the misapplication of money, but perhaps, rather, the lack of spending money.

    4) The proposal was rejected by over 97%. Almost all involved agreed that a profit-only proposal was bonkers

    To summarize: what on earth are you actually complaining about?
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 03-07-14 at 04:59 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Apple's Tim Cook: Business isnít just about making a profit

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    The word "just" (Which is absent from the quote but present in the title) is really important here.
    Perhaps you could enlighten us exactly what Apple is doing that is so important besides making a profit?

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •