Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 525

Thread: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

  1. #431
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    How so?
    if you include fox as mainstream media, your argument of the media being in the tank for liberals falls flat because fox attacks liberals.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  2. #432
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,961
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    you can only make that arguement by deliberately not including fox news as main stream media.
    During the day I switch back and forth between Fox and CNN, there isn't much difference when it comes to reporting of the news. The differences come at night when they put on their political talk shows. The Dems have MSNBC and the Republicans have FOX at night.

    I see it as no problem, each network, Fox and MSNBC play to their audience. I think personally CNN when it comes to cable news is probably the one with the least bias. But this is just one man's opinion. I do know however, Democrats hate Fox and Republicans hate MSNBC. I guess that is par for the course as neither side want any news reported that reflect bad on their party.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #433
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    J, I do nothing of the kind. This is your tactic. And I wasn't crying. I was laughing.
    Now I'm laughing.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #434
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Now I'm laughing.
    It's always good to laugh. But I do wish I could get you to follow the arguments.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #435
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    if you include fox as mainstream media, your argument of the media being in the tank for liberals falls flat because fox attacks liberals.
    Ok, thanks for that explanation.

    Fox News does not attack liberals, though some of its commentators might. There are also commentators from the left who appear regularly to counter their arguments.

    But this has nothing to do with the Clarence Thomas hearings when the MSM did cover that issue live throughout most of the day, contrary to how they now cover the Lerner/IRS case. The latter is far more important than anything Anita Hill had to say, which was a shameful public lynching by the MSM.

  6. #436
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    you can only make that arguement by deliberately not including fox news as main stream media.
    Fox news didn't even go on the air until 5 years after the Clarence Thomas hearings, turbo.

  7. #437
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's always good to laugh.
    It is good to laugh, that is most often why I engage you in our frequent back and fourths, contrary to the advise of many.

    But I do wish I could get you to follow the arguments.
    Oh I do just fine, but thanks for your concern...See, when I made the statement that upset you, you were talking about following "evidence", and much has been pointed out how this whole IRS thing was partisan in nature, and has failed to be investigated to satisfaction by the people that are supposed to investigate on the peoples behalf. And as investigations go, this one is almost as funny as you proclaiming that there is no evidence of wrongdoing, when all that has been done is stonewalling, and obfuscation by the administration.

    This investigation is slowly creeping to a halt in dead end not because there is nothing there, but rather because liberal progressives have closed ranks, and feckless republican leadership doesn't have the fortitude to institute a joint select committee.

    We know that Lerner has a track record of identical actions from when she was with the FEC. We know that leading up to this that there are some real questions out there that remain, and may never be answered. They are as follows.

    1. Lois Lerner’s apology was a spontaneous reaction to an unexpected question from an unknown audience member. In fact, the question came from tax lawyer and lobbyist Celia Roady. Ms. Roady has some interesting career highlights: She was part of the 1997 ethics investigation of Newt Gingrich, but, more to the point, she was appointed to the IRS’s Advisory Council on Tax-Exempt and Government Entities by IRS commissioner Douglas Shulman. She is a longtime colleague of Lerner, who is director of tax-exempt organizations. Ms. Roady has declined to comment on whether her question was planted, but it obviously was. The IRS had contacted reporters and encouraged them beforehand to attend the otherwise un-newsworthy event, and it had an entire team of press handlers on hand. So what we have is the staged rollout of what turns out to be — given the rest of this list — a disinformation campaign.

    2. This was the work of low-level grunts in Cincinnati. In truth, very senior people within the IRS, including its top lawyer, were aware of the situation, and had been since at least 2011. The home office in Washington was very much involved in the process.

    3. Lerner says that the situation came to her attention through allegations from tea-party groups carried in media reports. In fact, the matter has been under both internal and external investigation for some time.

    4. Lerner says she put an end to the practice as soon as she found out about it. In fact, the IRS continued to do precisely the same thing, only monkeying a little bit with the language: Instead of targeting “tea party” groups explicitly, it targeted those groups with an interest in such esoterica as limited government, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, etc.

    5. She says that the commissioner of the IRS didn’t know about the targeting project. While the targeting was going on, Ms. Lerner’s boss was being asked some very pointed questions by Congress on the subject of targeting tea-party groups. He enthusiastically denied that any such thing was going on, in direct contravention of the facts. Ms. Lerner says he didn’t know about the situation, because it was confined to those aforementioned plebs in Cincinnati. But given that this was not the case, her explaining away the commissioner’s untrue statements to Congress is a lie based on another lie — a compound lie, if you will. And acting commissioner Steven Miller was briefed on the situation in May of 2012 — and then declined to share his knowledge of it with Congress when asked about it during a hearing in July 2013.

    6. Lerner says she came forward with her apology unprompted by any special consideration. In fact, an inspector general’s report was about to be released, making the matter public.

    7. When Congress was investigating complaints from conservative groups, Lerner told them that she could not release information about organizations with pending applications. But her group was in fact releasing such information — to the left-leaning news organization ProPublica, rather than to congressional investigators. (during an election campaign)

    8. Lerner says that there was no political pressure to investigate tea-party groups. In fact, Senator Carl Levin (D., Mich.) repeatedly pressed the agency to investigate conservative groups falling under Lerner’s jurisdiction. What we have, then, is this: Under a Democratic administration, the IRS was under pressure from Democratic elected officials to investigate political enemies of the Democratic party. The agency did so. Its commissioner lied to Congress about its doing so. When the inspector general’s report was about to make these abuses public, the agency staged a classic Washington Friday news rollout at a sleepy American Bar Association tax-law conference, hoping to minimize the bad publicity. Lerner lied to the public about the nature, scope, and extent of the IRS intimidation campaign.

    The Nine Lies of Lois Lerner | National Review Online

    Now you may not like the facts Joe, but as I see it, if this were any Republican President in office we were talking about, at the very least Fitzgerald would have been told to dust off his wingtips, and get out there in front of the camera in a snap....Obama gets to slide? why?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #438
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Which is meaningless. Evidence should still be the criteria and not anyone's belief. Without conclusive evidence, only a fool has no room for doubt.
    Only a fool believes that "taking the fifth" isn't an admission of guilt. And a governing director of a public institution paid by taxpayers dollars shouldn't be allowed to do so.

    Obama used the IRS as a weapon against his political opponents, and Lerner wants no part of admitting this. It's painfully obvious that this is the case.

  9. #439
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Only a fool believes that "taking the fifth" isn't an admission of guilt. And a governing director of a public institution paid by taxpayers dollars shouldn't be allowed to do so.

    Obama used the IRS as a weapon against his political opponents, and Lerner wants no part of admitting this. It's painfully obvious that this is the case.
    These sorts of thoughtless posts are akin to people defending NSA spying by saying if you haven't got anything to hide, you shouldn't mind people looking through your stuff. After all, what's the point of the 4th amendment? Only guilty people are concerned with government surveillance.

    And since you're obviously concerned with privacy you must be guilty. Heck, we don't even need a trial.

  10. #440
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    These sorts of thoughtless posts are akin to people defending NSA spying by saying if you haven't got anything to hide, you shouldn't mind people looking through your stuff. After all, what's the point of the 4th amendment? Only guilty people are concerned with government surveillance.

    And since you're obviously concerned with privacy you must be guilty. Heck, we don't even need a trial.
    This isn't you or me. This is a person with NSA-like access to yours and my private information, who runs a GOVERNMENT agency that taxes you and me with the threat of prison time if we don't pay.

    Then, evidence shows that that power was used to intimidate and alter the election process, and you think she should be allowed to just clam up?

Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •