Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 525

Thread: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

  1. #411
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The problem with today's progressive is that they suspend common sense, and expect everyone else to as well.
    Wow, I'm shocked. No evidence, so insult. Not only insult, but a generalization as well. Who would have predicted this response?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #412
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,833
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Interesting to note that no one has brought up the fact that Lerner has already been interviewed by the friendly Obama partisans in the DOJ.

    A former Internal Revenue Service official who declined to answer questions at a congressional hearing, citing the Fifth Amendment, gave a full interview to the Justice Department, her lawyer said.

    That’s raising questions among Republican lawmakers, who wonder whether her choice to talk to Justice reflects a lack of concern about the DOJ probe. They also question the propriety of letting her avoid questions by lawmakers when she is answering DOJ’s.

    The comments by Lois Lerner‘s attorney “cast further doubt on the seriousness of the Justice Department’s so-called investigation of IRS targeting, as well as the legal basis of Ms. Lerner’s refusal to testify before Congress,” said Frederick Hill, a spokesman for committee Republicans. “There is a clear contradiction between refusing to testify based on a supposed fear of prosecution and talking to the prosecutors.”

    The Justice Department declined to comment.
    Former IRS Official Lerner Gave Interview to DOJ - Washington Wire - WSJ

    Let's see if we can sketch this out a bit.
    1. So Lerner tells all to the DOJ
    2. DOJ realizes there's serious problems
    3. DOJ investigation stops right there
    4. DOJ tells Obama
    5. Decision is made to stonewall it until it goes away
    6. Lerner is told she can have her taxpayer 6 figure retirement if she keeps taking the 5th and not spill the beans
    7. Lerner stonewalls congress with the 5th
    8. Congressional investigation effectively stonewalled
    9. Issa smells that there's something (or maybe he already has something but can't enter it as proper evidence?) and he won't let it go

    So we are at a Mexican standoff. Neither side is going to give in. The stakes are high for each side.

    I wonder if congress could subpoena the DOJ's investigative team ask them questions about what the DOJ found out from Lerner?

    Naa, that'd swing the power too much to the legislative branch.

  3. #413
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Interesting to note that no one has brought up the fact that Lerner has already been interviewed by the friendly Obama partisans in the DOJ.

    Former IRS Official Lerner Gave Interview to DOJ - Washington Wire - WSJ

    Let's see if we can sketch this out a bit.
    1. So Lerner tells all to the DOJ
    2. DOJ realizes there's serious problems
    3. DOJ investigation stops right there
    4. DOJ tells Obama
    5. Decision is made to stonewall it until it goes away
    6. Lerner is told she can have her taxpayer 6 figure retirement if she keeps taking the 5th and not spill the beans
    7. Lerner stonewalls congress with the 5th
    8. Congressional investigation effectively stonewalled
    9. Issa smells that there's something (or maybe he already has something but can't enter it as proper evidence?) and he won't let it go

    So we are at a Mexican standoff. Neither side is going to give in. The stakes are high for each side.

    I wonder if congress could subpoena the DOJ's investigative team ask them questions about what the DOJ found out from Lerner?

    Naa, that'd swing the power too much to the legislative branch.
    Most transparent administration evar.

  4. #414
    Educator
    Slyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Interesting to note that no one has brought up the fact that Lerner has already been interviewed by the friendly Obama partisans in the DOJ.

    Former IRS Official Lerner Gave Interview to DOJ - Washington Wire - WSJ

    Let's see if we can sketch this out a bit.
    1. So Lerner tells all to the DOJ
    2. DOJ realizes there's serious problems
    3. DOJ investigation stops right there
    4. DOJ tells Obama
    5. Decision is made to stonewall it until it goes away
    6. Lerner is told she can have her taxpayer 6 figure retirement if she keeps taking the 5th and not spill the beans
    7. Lerner stonewalls congress with the 5th
    8. Congressional investigation effectively stonewalled
    9. Issa smells that there's something (or maybe he already has something but can't enter it as proper evidence?) and he won't let it go

    So we are at a Mexican standoff. Neither side is going to give in. The stakes are high for each side.

    I wonder if congress could subpoena the DOJ's investigative team ask them questions about what the DOJ found out from Lerner?

    Naa, that'd swing the power too much to the legislative branch.
    Congress should demand the transcript.
    And if she didn't plead the fifth there she can't plead it in front of Congress.
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

  5. #415
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,833
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Most transparent administration evar.
    Living up their promise, for once at least, however, not in the way they made it sound, and not in the way that everyone else thought. So in order words, very in character for this president and this administration.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyhunter View Post
    Congress should demand the transcript.
    And if she didn't plead the fifth there she can't plead it in front of Congress.
    That's what I'm thinking as well. Either she speaks to government officials, or she doesn't. Doesn't seem like it's an either or, and no in between.

  6. #416
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,785

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Interesting to note that no one has brought up the fact that Lerner has already been interviewed by the friendly Obama partisans in the DOJ.

    Former IRS Official Lerner Gave Interview to DOJ - Washington Wire - WSJ

    Let's see if we can sketch this out a bit.
    1. So Lerner tells all to the DOJ
    2. DOJ realizes there's serious problems
    3. DOJ investigation stops right there
    4. DOJ tells Obama
    5. Decision is made to stonewall it until it goes away
    6. Lerner is told she can have her taxpayer 6 figure retirement if she keeps taking the 5th and not spill the beans
    7. Lerner stonewalls congress with the 5th
    8. Congressional investigation effectively stonewalled
    9. Issa smells that there's something (or maybe he already has something but can't enter it as proper evidence?) and he won't let it go

    .
    Nice "sketch"

    Only one known fact in your little list, a list that some will quickly think is nothing but known 'facts'. The only known fact in the list is #1 - every other item is supposition on your part supported by nothing more than political bias.

    The question remains: Why is Issa refusing to offer immunity to Lois Lerner? Could it possibly be that he knows she was the one responsible for the BOLO lists and that there were no higher-ups involved? As it is, Issa and his minions get to appear on TV raving about the 'corruption' in this Administration from the White House on down, on a near daily basis. The constant word spews do tend to imprint the ideas into the American psyche and soon, everyone 'knows' that the President is the bad guy. The tactic of constant reiteration does seem to be working - so that's why I think Issa isn't willing to grant immunity to Lerner. You may have a different view
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #417
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,257

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Wow, I'm shocked. No evidence, so insult. Not only insult, but a generalization as well. Who would have predicted this response?
    What would you accept as evidence?
    And if the evidence shows that Conservative groups were targeted, what would you say?
    I bet I know what you'd say ... there is, after all, an historic pattern of reactions to scandals like this.

  8. #418
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,420

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Interesting to note that no one has brought up the fact that Lerner has already been interviewed by the friendly Obama partisans in the DOJ.
    ...
    First, Lerner was willing to talk - without immunity, in depositions with committee. Issa didn't want that. He wanted the cameras. He wanted the show trial -- it's about the dog and pony show.

    Second, your post excludes the obvious, which is included in your link.

    "[A] prominent white-collar defense lawyer, Robert Luskin of Patton Boggs, said he did the same thing in the face of a highly-partisan congressional probe into the Whitewater matter during the Clinton administration.

    Our view was that the DOJ was genuinely and sincerely interested in an honest and thorough investigation,” while a GOP-led congressional panel wasn’t, said Mr. Luskin. So his client “testified without condition to DOJ and took the Fifth with respect to the committee.”

    One frequent concern for witnesses appearing before hostile congressional committees: Lawmakers can set perjury traps for them, hoping to trip them up. Mr. Taylor said that wasn’t a concern for Ms. Lerner."

    Former IRS Official Lerner Gave Interview to DOJ - Washington Wire - WSJ

    It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to understand kangaroo courts -- which is the way Issa is running his "investigation", that start with the premise 'we plan to hang you on high,' and dubiously release cherry picked emails and transcripts (which later turn out to refute what they purport, when seen in whole) and especially after that despicable display of Issa shutting off the mic on the ranking minority leader like that...are not about fairness, justice and truth.

  9. #419
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,420

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyhunter View Post
    Congress should demand the transcript.
    And if she didn't plead the fifth there she can't plead it in front of Congress.
    False.

  10. #420
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Lois Lerner does about-face, will give Hill testimony on IRS scandal

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    What would you accept as evidence?
    And if the evidence shows that Conservative groups were targeted, what would you say?
    I bet I know what you'd say ... there is, after all, an historic pattern of reactions to scandals like this.
    It's not historic, so no need for hyperbole.

    But, such evidence should be weighted, and if found convincing, appropriate action should be taken. It's really simple.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •