Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65

Thread: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

  1. #11
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,136

    Re: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    As usual The WaPo cherry picked, and left much out....Turley, no 'right winger' was far more in depth than they let on....



    He's right...What should be done is a select joint committee, to gather for impeachment, but this congress will not do that...So, I guess the fundamental change Obama spoke of is taking place...Bid America goodbye.
    Impeaching Obama would be kissing America good bye. It would be a total failure of our system to do such. You want total social unrest and race riots, try impeaching the first black president, especially over pettiness.... which, if you understand anything about president power and executive orders, you know this is (Obama has issued the fewest executive orders of any president since 1900). Though I do believe the Cons are stupid enough to try such a thing, they not so stupid as even hint at it before the election.

    The Cons should get busy with their job of governing.. Unfortunately, they have no vision, they have no plan, they have no leadership, they have no clue. All they know how to do is play petty politics.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 02-28-14 at 12:29 AM.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,571

    Re: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Impeaching Obama would be kissing America good bye. It would be a total failure of our system to do such. You want total social unrest and race riots, try impeaching the first black president, especially over pettiness.... which, if you understand anything about president power and executive orders, you know this is (Obama has issued the fewest executive orders of any president since 1900). Though I do believe the Cons are stupid enough to try such a thing, they not so stupid as even hint at it before the election.
    Talk about stupid. The libs are focusing on the number of executive orders, even though no one cares or has complained about the number of executive orders. Let me just be clear, nobody cares about the number of executive orders. In your mind, a person with 10 traffic tickets is worse than someone with 6 armed robberies. The failure of our system is that the self loathing democrats in Congress will not impeach this destructive President.

    Please, do tell, why you are focused on that.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  3. #13
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,136

    Re: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Talk about stupid. The libs are focusing on the number of executive orders, even though no one cares or has complained about the number of executive orders. Let me just be clear, nobody cares about the number of executive orders. In your mind, a person with 10 traffic tickets is worse than someone with 6 armed robberies. The failure of our system is that the self loathing democrats in Congress will not impeach this destructive President.

    Please, do tell, why you are focused on that.
    If you don't believe the nature of executive orders is relatively consistent from president to president making the sheer volume relevant, then you must believe that somehow the nature of the order has changed. The link below will take you to each executive order issued since FDR took office (81 years ago). There about about 7,000 executive orders here (of which Obama has written about 170). Kindly cull through the list and let us know how the nature has "suddenly" changed.

    Executive Orders Disposition Tables Index

    Actually, you should not do it... First, because you are too lazy to get to the details yourself and second, you can't as they have not changed in nature, so the task is impossible. Sorry, but you got no game... you shoot off your mouth without a clue about which you speak: "talk about stupid."
    Last edited by upsideguy; 02-28-14 at 02:29 AM.

  4. #14
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,122
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I agree that Obama is not the first, but as Turley points out, it is Obama that has put this power on steroids and rapidly rendering congress a moot point....
    Congress is rendering Congress a moot point.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  5. #15
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

    There are lots of individual Americans with lots of money - lots of business interests too with loads of cash. Can't one or some of them take the President to court challenging a particular executive order that affects them?

    The problem, as I see it, with many of Obama's executive orders is that he issues directives not to apply a particular law or to delay implementation of a particular law - Obamacare provisions, as an example - and there is no one who's particularly adversely affected by such orders even if they abuse laws passed by congress.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,571

    Re: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    If you don't believe the nature of executive orders is relatively consistent from president to president making the sheer volume relevant, then you must believe that somehow the nature of the order has changed. The link below will take you to each executive order issued since FDR took office (81 years ago). There about about 7,000 executive orders here (of which Obama has written about 170). Kindly cull through the list and let us know how the nature has "suddenly" changed.

    Executive Orders Disposition Tables Index

    Actually, you should not do it... First, because you are too lazy to get to the details yourself and second, you can't as they have not changed in nature, so the task is impossible. Sorry, but you got no game... you shoot off your mouth without a clue about which you speak: "talk about stupid."
    Another dose of stupid from the left. Oh, well. I guess your tactic is to pigeon hole all this just to EOs, and to then show that every President uses them, and your flawed conclusion is therefore Obama can make any EO he wants. Standard left wing tactic to mislead. Got it.

    There was a federal program called R.I.F. (reading is fundamental). So, I say again, I don't care about the number of EOs. We have a lawless President. We have a President that is overstepping his authority, he is threatening to take over legislative duties if Congress does not do what he wants. A President that thinks he can just modify laws on the fly, change them as he pleases. Or just decide not to enforce them at all. A President that is attacking the Constitution, violating his oath to defend it.

    And many Presidents want to take as much power as they can. But in this case, we have a Democrat Congress that is willing to do nothing as he weakens them and takes more and more power. And Republicans that are complicit. The Founders of this nation put in checks and balances, but they never envisioned a Congress like this, that would just sit there and not protect their branch of government.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  7. #17
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,313

    Re: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I agree that Obama is not the first, but as Turley points out, it is Obama that has put this power on steroids and rapidly rendering congress a moot point....
    Bush and the neocons contrived the notion of the Unitary Executive, took overt acts to achieve that nefarious goal, and Barack simply loves it.

    Turley is right on!

  8. #18
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,313

    Re: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Impeaching Obama would be kissing America good bye. It would be a total failure of our system to do such. You want total social unrest and race riots, try impeaching the first black president, especially over pettiness.... which, if you understand anything about president power and executive orders, you know this is (Obama has issued the fewest executive orders of any president since 1900). Though I do believe the Cons are stupid enough to try such a thing, they not so stupid as even hint at it before the election.

    The Cons should get busy with their job of governing.. Unfortunately, they have no vision, they have no plan, they have no leadership, they have no clue. All they know how to do is play petty politics.
    Usurpation of power is not petty at all, it is significant.

    Even though governments and greedy leaders have usurped power, or attempted to do so, over the ages, that does not make it lawful.

    Obama's claim to being a conscientious constitutional law professor are spurious.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Impeaching Obama would be kissing America good bye. It would be a total failure of our system to do such. You want total social unrest and race riots, try impeaching the first black president, especially over pettiness.... which, if you understand anything about president power and executive orders, you know this is (Obama has issued the fewest executive orders of any president since 1900). Though I do believe the Cons are stupid enough to try such a thing, they not so stupid as even hint at it before the election.

    The Cons should get busy with their job of governing.. Unfortunately, they have no vision, they have no plan, they have no leadership, they have no clue. All they know how to do is play petty politics.
    Attempting to become a dictator is not "pettiness". Undermining our system of government and ordering changes to law passed by congress is not "pettiness". If impeaching such a person would not cause "total failure of our system", just the opposite. If "impeaching the first black president" would cause "total social unrest and race riots", then we should issue mini-guns and plenty of ammo, then let them have at it.

    As to the Cons, the only point I will argue is their lack of vision, the have enough vision to know that a socialized bankrupt America would be a bad thing.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  10. #20
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Congress urged to challenge Obama’s executive actions

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Another dose of stupid from the left. Oh, well. I guess your tactic is to pigeon hole all this just to EOs, and to then show that every President uses them, and your flawed conclusion is therefore Obama can make any EO he wants. Standard left wing tactic to mislead. Got it.

    There was a federal program called R.I.F. (reading is fundamental). So, I say again, I don't care about the number of EOs. We have a lawless President. We have a President that is overstepping his authority, he is threatening to take over legislative duties if Congress does not do what he wants. A President that thinks he can just modify laws on the fly, change them as he pleases. Or just decide not to enforce them at all. A President that is attacking the Constitution, violating his oath to defend it.

    And many Presidents want to take as much power as they can. But in this case, we have a Democrat Congress that is willing to do nothing as he weakens them and takes more and more power. And Republicans that are complicit. The Founders of this nation put in checks and balances, but they never envisioned a Congress like this, that would just sit there and not protect their branch of government.
    Tell us which EOs you have a problem with and how they are changing the Country.
    You do realize that an EO is not a law, presidents can not create or change laws.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •