Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 116 of 116

Thread: Court Rules Schools Allowed To Ban American Flag In Order To Make Schools Safer

  1. #111
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Court Rules Schools Allowed To Ban American Flag In Order To Make Schools Safer

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    While I think you're right to an extent, they did prevent a fight which "could have" escalated into race war. I say "could have" because there's nothing to back that up, but I think it was a possibility.
    It did prevent a fight, yes. No denying that. I fear, however, that it may have only postponed a fight, and that it will cause resentment to fester... possibly on both sides... that could explode later.

    I guess the question I have to ask is: Has the school done anything since to tuirn it into a teaching moment, and address the underlying sentiments? Or, did they pat themselves on the back for a job well done and consider it solved?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #112
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Court Rules Schools Allowed To Ban American Flag In Order To Make Schools Safer

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    You're right that it demonstrates a greater failing to create a safe learning environment. That being said, I personally favor law and order over freedom of expression. Safety, authority, and discipline first.
    I prefer freedom, especially when punishments are given out to and/or restrictions made for one group and not another when a claim of safety concerns are made over a possible clash between the two groups. It would be just as wrong to tell girls that they had to wear dresses to school because of a potential threat to any girl in the school not wearing a dress.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #113
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Court Rules Schools Allowed To Ban American Flag In Order To Make Schools Safer

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    What about this case should have made the court overturn precedent regarding the relationship between students' freedom of expression and administrators' duty to maintain a suitable learning environment?

    Anyone have any thoughts about that question?

    Sure, let's play. How about this variant - look at the suspension data, violence data, from schools and you see a very disproportionate presence of black students. It therefore follows that segregating schools by racial groups would certainly improve the learning environment for non-black students. If improving the learning environment is Job #1, then why don't we do that? Any thoughts?

    Is it possible that there are missions of higher priority than improving the learning environment in public schools?

  4. #114
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Court Rules Schools Allowed To Ban American Flag In Order To Make Schools Safer

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Agreed, but then also no complaining if all Mexican-Americans go around sporting Viva Mexico on the fourth of July or fly their flag on their porches on the 4th of July. Or wear shirts with Mexican flags in school on days that are important to the US.
    Nope, that's worthy of complaint too. The problem is multiculturalism. If an immigrant from Mexico is accepted into American society, then they're American. Period. If they're favoring Mexico on the Fourth of July then they're forthrightly declaring their allegiance to another country while in the bosum of America. Time for them to go back to Mexico if that's how they feel.

    To be clear, I have no issue whatsoever with Mexicans in Mexico flying Mexican flags on the Fourth of July. They owe no allegiance to the US. They can insult the US until they turn blue in the face.

    The concept that there is no difference in play between an American displaying an American flag and a Mexican flag on the 4th depends on a notion that nationalism, nations, societies, and cultures don't really stand for anything particular. That's clearly not the case.

  5. #115
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,927
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Court Rules Schools Allowed To Ban American Flag In Order To Make Schools Safer

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Sure, let's play. How about this variant - look at the suspension data, violence data, from schools and you see a very disproportionate presence of black students. It therefore follows that segregating schools by racial groups would certainly improve the learning environment for non-black students. If improving the learning environment is Job #1, then why don't we do that? Any thoughts?
    Is it possible that there are missions of higher priority than improving the learning environment in public schools?
    Because there are priorities higher than creating a suitable learning environment, the court should have overturned precedents?

    What is the guideline you would have courts across the land apply to cases where free expression of students' come into conflict with the duty of school officials to create a suitable learning environment?

    Administrators' duty takes precedent except when an American flag is involved? Is that the guideline you would like our courts to switch to?
    Feel free to use your own words to formulate whatever guideline it is that you are advocating for US courts to abruptly adopt.
    I may be wrong.

  6. #116
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Court Rules Schools Allowed To Ban American Flag In Order To Make Schools Safer

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Nope, that's worthy of complaint too. The problem is multiculturalism. If an immigrant from Mexico is accepted into American society, then they're American. Period. If they're favoring Mexico on the Fourth of July then they're forthrightly declaring their allegiance to another country while in the bosum of America. Time for them to go back to Mexico if that's how they feel.

    To be clear, I have no issue whatsoever with Mexicans in Mexico flying Mexican flags on the Fourth of July. They owe no allegiance to the US. They can insult the US until they turn blue in the face.

    The concept that there is no difference in play between an American displaying an American flag and a Mexican flag on the 4th depends on a notion that nationalism, nations, societies, and cultures don't really stand for anything particular. That's clearly not the case.
    How could it possibly be insulting for a citizen of a country to fly their own flag within their own country? Regardless what day it is. It's actually more insulting that one would feel the need to give them approval for said action.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •