Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 167

Thread: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

    I knew I heard this term before.....My Brothers Keeper. Yeah.....aint Obama one Coooool Cat.
    His Brother's Keeper!

    A New American Dream.....huh!





  2. #32
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Actually it's pretty simple. All the money in the world isn't going to convince the impoverished youth of our country to believe that a polished version of the turd their lives will be is significantly better than the unpolished one they observe prior to programs like this. Unless and until the economy alters in such a way as to offer some semblance of opportunity equality, all these programs will continue to fail, private or government.
    What is needed is a way to convince the youth that, if their life is a turd (polished or not), it is due to the choices that they have made, and, if they don't like it, they need to make different choices.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #33
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    What is needed is a way to convince the youth that, if their life is a turd (polished or not), it is due to the choices that they have made, and, if they don't like it, they need to make different choices.
    i would agree if that were true. Unfortunately it's not. There are no choices made by that youth that forces his mother to have to work 3 jobs, put him in cheap, overcrowded daycares, have no energy to help him with homework or a quality homemade meal if she's even lucky enough hours off her other jobs to do more than sleep, unequal likelihood that he's going to be regularly hassled by the police ....
    The list is long. You're ability to see and empathize with reality is shallow.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    if someone can tell me how this "task force" is supposed to work other then throwing money at the situation), i'd be fine with it - otherwise this should stay at the state/local level, where it has been making a difference.

    I'm constantly AMAZED at the amount of fed'l programs that need not be run from DC. If they want to just fund local/state programs, i'm not even gonna complain about that.
    That's the definition of the old "block grants" or what has become known as "new federalism"
    I wonder just how many people who are critisizing this effort really took the time to read the linked article in the OP?

    From the article:

    ...the White House is still signing on private businesses and does not have a final number for how much they have committed to “My Brother’s Keeper.” The White House hopes corporations will pledge to mentor and hire young minority men.

    And some of the foundations that are involved in the effort were already planning on making investments in young minority men before the White House got involved. Robert Ross, the CEO of the California Endowment nonprofit, said his organization had already pledged $50 million over seven years for its “sons and brothers” program,
    Reading comprehension, folks. Nothing in the OP article mentions the use of federal tax dollars for this mentoring initiative. From the sound of it, every nickle would come from private funding. So, why are you folks complaining? I'd think you'd be glad on two fronts:

    1. No tax dollars are being spent on the program; and,

    2. It helps these so-called "thugs" learn how to "take more responsibility for themselves".

    3. Rich people are putting their own money to use....you know, the money they earned to have the freedom to keep more of it and do with it whatever they want.

    I mean, these companies and charities are living by the principles Conservatives preach about. So, who are you folks to critisize? I say STFU! It's not your money.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 02-27-14 at 06:43 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  5. #35
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    i would agree if that were true. Unfortunately it's not. There are no choices made by that youth that forces his mother to have to work 3 jobs, put him in cheap, overcrowded daycares, have no energy to help him with homework or a quality homemade meal if she's even lucky enough hours off her other jobs to do more than sleep, unequal likelihood that he's going to be regularly hassled by the police ....
    The list is long. You're ability to see and empathize with reality is shallow.
    Yes, no doubt it is tough being the son of a single mom who is struggling just to survive.
    Still, the outcomes of one's life depend on the choices one makes. If youth can be shown that their quality of life depends on the choices that they make, and if they can be guided to making better choices, then they can break the cycle of poverty. If a kid's daddy ran off, never married their mom, is a total sleeze ball, that doesn't mean that the kid has to do so as well. Of course, it's more difficult than it is for middle class kids, but the bottom line is that we are still the masters of our own fate.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #36
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I wonder just how many people who are critisizing this effort really took the time to read the linked article in the OP?

    From the article:



    Reading comprehension, folks. Nothing in the OP article mentions the use of federal tax dollars for this mentoring initiative. From the sound of it, every nickle would come from private funding. So, why are you folks complaining? I'd think you'd be glad on two fronts:

    1. No tax dollars are being spent on the program; and,

    2. It helps these so-called "thugs" learn how to "take more responsibility for themselves".

    3. Rich people are putting their own money to use....you know, the money they earned to have the freedom to keep more of it and do with it whatever they want.

    I mean, these companies and charities are living by the principles Conservatives preach about. So, who are you folks to critisize? I say STFU! It's not your money.

    I know it is like the bigotry and ignorance of the right blinds them to reality or something.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    There isn't an amount of money that can possibly address a man's innate lack of concern for taking responsibility for his own children.

    What, are we going to bribe them?
    You're right. Good thing the program isn't geared towards dead-beat dads. Or perhaps it should! But then you'd only classify that as wasted money, too.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,344

    Re: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    "Men of color" is code for "anyone whose ancestors didn't come from Europe", and includes Native Americans, Asians, and Hispanics in the same somewhat diverse group.

    As long as it is, as advertised, privately funded, I have no objection to it. If my money is to be used, then it needs to include poor whites as well.
    If this was a privately funded all white male only program, would you still not have a problem?

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If this was a privately funded all white male only program, would you still not have a problem?
    No. But we call that the 4-H Club, Boy Scouts, Boy's Club, YMCA or better yet COLLEGE!
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  10. #40
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Obama Launches ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ to Help young Minority Men.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Yes, no doubt it is tough being the son of a single mom who is struggling just to survive.
    Still, the outcomes of one's life depend on the choices one makes. If youth can be shown that their quality of life depends on the choices that they make, and if they can be guided to making better choices, then they can break the cycle of poverty. If a kid's daddy ran off, never married their mom, is a total sleeze ball, that doesn't mean that the kid has to do so as well. Of course, it's more difficult than it is for middle class kids, but the bottom line is that we are still the masters of our own fate.
    Except that we can't show them that in this economy or in the oligarchy we currently live under. It's like religion, you can believe in it, but there's no current reality that backs any of it up.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •