Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 679

Thread: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

  1. #61
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,483

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Because the owner of the business is not protected. It is as if the right hand has certain constitutional rights but his left hand is denied that right of conscience.
    The owner of a business is already protected so what you are really asking for is to declare businesses persons and grant them the enumerated rights in the Constitution.
    Last edited by Napoleon; 02-26-14 at 11:01 PM.

  2. #62
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    I have wondered that same scenario myself.

    Thom Paine
    the scenario is legal and lawful

    theres no illegal discrimination in the scenario

    the laws are the same for us all
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #63
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,664

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    The Oregon Constitution addresses religious beliefs not be denied also but that didn't stop the judge from finding the bakery owners in violation. The New Mexico Constitution did the same but the photographer was found guilty by another federal judge. This legislation was a way of putting into place a law that could not be easily overturned by another federal activist judge. A person's religion starts at home, it is more than a religion per say, it is a way of life. It plays a major role on how this person runs his business. But even if she had signed it, before the ink was dry, the gay rights activist groups had their posse of lawyers in waiting and an activist judge already picked out to hear the case. We are going to need action from Congress on this one to protect religious freedoms for all persons.
    I really can't speak to New Mexico or to Oregon and while I agree with what you say about religion I don't think that this particular bill was the best way to go about things.

    In America the freedom of religion is pretty much the whole reason we have this nation and it's the first facet of liberty addressed in the first Amendment. If it were up to me and I were writing a bill such as this for Arizona that's where I'd start. The bill would be short and to the point. Something along the lines of "The right to freely exercise ones religious beliefs is a fundamental right of the citizens of this nation and of this State. No individual or entity conducting lawful business in the state shall be compelled to provide services, accept an engagement or otherwise accommodate a customer who has not paid for said service if doing so violates the owners conscience or religious belief."

  4. #64
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

    WOW! lol

    this was already discussed earlier today but whats awesome about your post is you just proved to everybody reading how severely uneducated you are on this specific topic

    now lets start with how HUGE of a failure your post is since you obviously have ZERO clue about rights and the law and illegal discrimination etc. We knew this already but this post confirms it.

    1.) this is what ILLEGAL discrimaintion is, its discrimination based on age, disability, origin, race/color, gender, religion or in some cases sexual orientation
    this applies to us ALL

    2.) the KKK is NONE of those things, unless in that particular state the KKK is recognized as a religion there is no illegal discrimination going on in the scenario you just described.

    3.) the caters's race doesnt matter

    4.) if the cater denys service for any reason not on the list in number one its LEGAL

    KKK is not an age disability, origin, race/color, gender, religion or sexual orientation

    sorry your example complete fails and there is no SPECIAL rights in your scenario, facts win again, try again
    kick his ass AJ
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  5. #65
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    The owner of a business is already protected so what you are really asking for it is to declare businesses persons and grant them the enumerated rights in the Constitution.
    bingo

    he wants SPECIAL rights not equal
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #66
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

    WOW! lol

    this was already discussed earlier today but whats awesome about your post is you just proved to everybody reading how severely uneducated you are on this specific topic

    now lets start with how HUGE of a failure your post is since you obviously have ZERO clue about rights and the law and illegal discrimination etc. We knew this already but this post confirms it.

    1.) this is what ILLEGAL discrimaintion is, its discrimination based on age, disability, origin, race/color, gender, religion or in some cases sexual orientation
    this applies to us ALL

    2.) the KKK is NONE of those things, unless in that particular state the KKK is recognized as a religion there is no illegal discrimination going on in the scenario you just described.

    3.) the caters's race doesnt matter

    4.) if the cater denys service for any reason not on the list in number one its LEGAL

    KKK is not an age disability, origin, race/color, gender, religion or sexual orientation

    sorry your example complete fails and there is no SPECIAL rights in your scenario, facts win again, try again
    What is your position on what that one AZ Senator said?

    (I do not remember the exact verbiage but it went something like this.)

    "It's a doubled-edged sword. What if a gay/lesbian print shop got an order from Westboro Baptist to print up "God Hates Fags," placards? Should the law mandate that they have to do it?"

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #67
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    What is your position on what that one AZ Senator said?

    (I do not remember the exact verbiage but it went something like this.)

    "It's a doubled-edged sword. What if a gay/lesbian print shop got an order from Westboro Baptist to print up "God Hates Fags," placards? Should the law mandate that they have to do it?"
    Are you implying that a homosexual in a print shop wouldn't do what he could to aid a fellow Democratic organization like the Westboro Baptist Church?

  8. #68
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Before we know it, churches will be forced, by law to perform gay marriages.
    NO they will not. We know this because churches are not forced to perform interracial marriage. Or marriages of people outside their faith. This is a dumb argument.

    You can bet your butt that religious freedom is a right.
    Yes a right that stops when it invades the rights of others.

    Discromination is very much a right, especially on private property.
    Public businesses are not the same as you home.

  9. #69
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,868

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I really can't speak to New Mexico or to Oregon and while I agree with what you say about religion I don't think that this particular bill was the best way to go about things.

    In America the freedom of religion is pretty much the whole reason we have this nation and it's the first facet of liberty addressed in the first Amendment. If it were up to me and I were writing a bill such as this for Arizona that's where I'd start. The bill would be short and to the point. Something along the lines of "The right to freely exercise ones religious beliefs is a fundamental right of the citizens of this nation and of this State. No individual or entity conducting lawful business in the state shall be compelled to provide services, accept an engagement or otherwise accommodate a customer who has not paid for said service if doing so violates the owners conscience or religious belief."
    Maybe it was worded to broadly, who knows, I don't. But I commend the efforts of the AZ legislature for their efforts.

  10. #70
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,328

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    As a life long Arizonan, I am very happy it is vetoed. However, I am not happy at the nutjobs we have in our legislature that swallow all the BS bills that ALEC and the talibornagains that the Center for Arizona Policy try get them to pass. Hopefully the spotlight is on these theocratic ninnies now, and we can move forward and "de-kookify" our legislature.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •