Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 679

Thread: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

  1. #641
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,411

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Loving v Virginia:

    FindLaw | Cases and Codes


    Zablocki v. Redhail

    FindLaw | Cases and Codes

    Turner v. Safley

    FindLaw | Cases and Codes

    There's more, if you like.

  2. #642
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,411

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    And, the most recent ruling from Virginia, drew upon Loving v Virginia.


    "Crowds gathered as oral arguments got underway Tuesday morning in the case of Bostic v. Rainey. The case challenges Virginia’s amendment that bans same-sex marriage.


    In 2006, 57 percent of Virginians voted in favor of the Virginia Marriage Amendment that defined marriage as only between a man and a woman.


    Inside the courthouse



    Ted Olson and David Boies presented the plaintiffs’ side.


    Olson said Virginia, “erects a wall around gay and lesbian citizens.” He added that marriage is a fundamental right of an individual, and not of the state, citing previous Supreme Court rulings. Boise asked what motivates the supporters of the ban other than maintaining the status quo.


    Newly-elected Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring announced last month, he would reverse Virginia’s stance on the issue and would not defend the amendment in court.

    Virginia’s Solicitor General Stuart Raphael argued Attorney General Herring’s position in court on behalf of the Commonwealth.

    Raphael said the case is legally indistinguishable from Loving v. Virginia, which overturned a ban on interracial marriage in 1967. He said the idea that there is “no traditional right to same sex marriage” is a major flaw.


    Ruling could ‘change the basic concept of marriage’ in Virginia | WTVR.com

  3. #643
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    And, the most recent ruling from Virginia, drew upon Loving v Virginia.


    "Crowds gathered as oral arguments got underway Tuesday morning in the case of Bostic v. Rainey. The case challenges Virginia’s amendment that bans same-sex marriage.


    In 2006, 57 percent of Virginians voted in favor of the Virginia Marriage Amendment that defined marriage as only between a man and a woman.


    Inside the courthouse



    Ted Olson and David Boies presented the plaintiffs’ side.


    Olson said Virginia, “erects a wall around gay and lesbian citizens.” He added that marriage is a fundamental right of an individual, and not of the state, citing previous Supreme Court rulings. Boise asked what motivates the supporters of the ban other than maintaining the status quo.


    Newly-elected Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring announced last month, he would reverse Virginia’s stance on the issue and would not defend the amendment in court.

    Virginia’s Solicitor General Stuart Raphael argued Attorney General Herring’s position in court on behalf of the Commonwealth.

    Raphael said the case is legally indistinguishable from Loving v. Virginia, which overturned a ban on interracial marriage in 1967. He said the idea that there is “no traditional right to same sex marriage” is a major flaw.


    Ruling could ‘change the basic concept of marriage’ in Virginia | WTVR.com
    your case.....1967

    if declared a right then, how were laws passed , amendments passed which allowed the outright violation of a right?

  4. #644
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,411

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Is that a serious question?

    Really?

  5. #645
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,411

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Here, I'll break it down for you.

    Legislatures write laws.

    They are passed by Majority.

    Signed by Executives.

    Sometimes Amendments are added to State Constitutions.

    Somebody challenges that law or Amendment.

    Sometimes they are found Unconstitutional.

    S u r p r i s e !


  6. #646
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Well then I suppose thank god for the internet. There's a way out of it with brick and mortor too - limited membership buyers clubs.

    If the government wants to run my business from soup to nuts, what's the point? Let them do the work.
    LOL....can you be any more of a drama queen? Requiring businesses not to practice bigotry is not the big bad "govment" running your business from soup to nuts.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #647
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    I asked you what right. you wish to cite federal laws, ..well federal laws cannot create rights for the people, only rights recognized in the constitution or rights recognized by the USSC are rights.

    the court has never stated you have a right to not be discriminated against, by a citizen or business.

    constitutional law states that governments cannot discriminate against the people....because constitutions only apply to government they never limit people.

    so again what right per constitutional law, was violated by the business owner.


    p.s. since the couple was on the business owners property at the time, the couple has no exercisable rights to speak of
    geeeez i thought yout at least try, yes i refered to LAWS and rights heres actually what i said
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    so are you claiming this is a big conspiracy theory? all those laws and rights and court cases and the usages of the 14 and civil rights all these years is all wrong . . only your opinion is right?

    and be clear, i have ZERO interest in discussion your opinions and philosophies im asking you fro FACTS that prove all that stuff wrong

    what FACTS do have that prove the facts above and the law and established rights and court cases wrong?
    and then i asked you to present ONE fact that disprove all that, ONE and you came back with a post that amounts to "nu-huh" and ZERO facts that go against what was already stated . . . thats hilarious!

    let me know when you can do this ill check back lol

    facts win again
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #648
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What rights did you list above? I don't see anything.
    of course YOU dont LMAO this further helps prove the facts i already listed

    lets just ignore the the facts, rights, the law and court cases/precedence and the 14th and civil rights that all come together and establish this stuff in favor of your opinion. LMAO
    no thanks

    facts win again
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #649
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) nope thats just your OPINION and nothing else, in FACT many human rights groups support the 14th and civil rights
    2.) yep seems i have to keep educating you and proving your posts wrong lol
    people and private orgs are not allowed to break the law and illegally discriminate
    if you disagree by all means PLEASE factually prove otherwise, i cant wait to read this humor


    facts win . . . AGAIN lol
    The 14th amendment does not supprot your argument and groups are meaningless once again the facts prove you wrong uninformed

    I stated facts you give nebulous opinion

  10. #650
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    P
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I have heard that there are plenty of LGBT groups that would love to be a part of drafting new versions of these bills so that religious liberties can be protected and incidents like the Cake Shop Owner and Wedding Photographer will not happen in other states. Instead of being adversarial, why not include gay rights folks so that we can have legislation that genuinely seeks to secure religious liberty rather than just trying to strip gay rights under the guise of religion? Freedom of association should be a public discussion, not a partisan issue.
    Not 100% what "rights" are being protected though. You don't own another man's property or labor. No one seems to be able to argue how they came into rightful possession of others' property and labor.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •