Page 45 of 68 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 679

Thread: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

  1. #441
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    In a number of states, yes, it most certainly is.

    Deal.
    Indeed, and in the majority it isn't. Nor is it in the federal. Deal with it. And once again, this is government that this restriction applies to.

  2. #442
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,477

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You're right I missed where he said anyhting like that. He'd be wrong to say it, both because it would have a harmful effect and in that as I said hospitals are regulated differently than other businesses for service. You were wrong as well, private hospitals that do not take federal or state funds exist and they do only serve a limited clientele.

    I still disagree with you, I don't think it's bad policy at all. Vital services have nothing to do with the equation. I'll repeat, my refusal to sell you scones because I don't like your smell isn't going to do any harm to you or society in general. Especially when in modern reality there are two other places within a 1000 yeards that will sell you those scones no matter how much they think you reek.
    I appreciate the honesty.

    So with my other examples some of them were gas stations, food, etc., are we supposed to create a designation between what are vital services and not and discrimination is allowed at one but not the other? I do understand the point of a baker not wanting to make a cake for a gay wedding if they disagree with it. I'm not sure whether I think it should be ok or not, I do think discrimination of any kind does however cause too many problems so I'd rather just outlaw it completely.

  3. #443
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Red herring, the argument isn't about the specifics of government and private enterprise, its about businesses denying service to patrons for any reason (discrimination). So are you amending your argument to say that only private businesses that have absolutely nothing to do with government in any way should be allowed to discriminate but others shouldn't?

    governments cannot discriminate per the constitution.

    citizens can be discriminated by other citizens because the constitution does not apply to citizens or business.

    government works in the interest of the people, a citizen works in his own interest.

    its amazing that so many people wish to violate rights of citizens, ....just because they dont like how a another citizen behaves.

  4. #444
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,439

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Heads up.

    Mississippi House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill

    "The Mississippi House of Representatives Civil Subcommittee late Wednesday voted to strike provisions of a so-called “religious freedom” bill that the ACLU and other legal experts said invites widespread discrimination, especially against gay, lesbian and trans-gender people.
    The action came on Senate Bill 2681, a measure approved 48-0 on Jan. 31 and sent on to the House. The bill was more popularly known for an amendment that requires inserting “In God We Trust” into the state seal, but a closer examination of it led legal experts to conclude that it would allow private businesses and government entities to discriminate based on religious grounds."

    Mississippi!

  5. #445
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post

    No, it deals with private enterprise.
    " nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
    1.)They are therefore have the power to discriminate and if you are discriminating against such people you're not equally protected under the law.


  6. #446
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    I appreciate the honesty.

    So with my other examples some of them were gas stations, food, etc., are we supposed to create a designation between what are vital services and not and discrimination is allowed at one but not the other? I do understand the point of a baker not wanting to make a cake for a gay wedding if they disagree with it. I'm not sure whether I think it should be ok or not, I do think discrimination of any kind does however cause too many problems so I'd rather just outlaw it completely.
    No need to create anything, the distinctions have been in place forever. The problem with your solution is that we don't have that sort of nanny system yet. The Constitutions, state and federal, regulate what the GOVERNMENT can do. Government discrimination is already addressed by law.

  7. #447
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,439

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Indeed, and in the majority it isn't. Nor is it in the federal. Deal with it. And once again, this is government that this restriction applies to.
    No. The CRA and the many states versions of their CRA's apply to businesses open to the general public.

  8. #448
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Red herring, the argument isn't about the specifics of government and private enterprise, its about businesses denying service to patrons for any reason (discrimination). So are you amending your argument to say that only private businesses that have absolutely nothing to do with government in any way should be allowed to discriminate but others shouldn't?
    No...

  9. #449
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    " nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
    1.)They are therefore have the power to discriminate and if you are discriminating against such people you're not equally protected under the law.
    Nope, that restrains the government (the State mentioned above), not individuals.

  10. #450
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    " nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

    1.)They are therefore have the power to discriminate and if you are discriminating against such people you're not equally protected under the law.

    constitutions are written for government only?

Page 45 of 68 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •