Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 679

Thread: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

  1. #431
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    So you support institutionalized racism because "they have the right to do so"?
    No, I'm defending the rights of people from government aggression. I am not however saying that people should discriminate and refuse people service.

    Also dont these kind of laws inherently go against the 14th amendment?
    No, it deals with private enterprise.

  2. #432
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,462

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm not doing anything of the sort. I'm telling you the difference between government and private enterprise. You're trying your hardest to break my argument, but you are running into the logic that is the fundamental difference between government and private enterprise.
    Personally, I think you're just trolling.

  3. #433
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post

    This is the America of yesteryear.

    You're really going to hate the 21st Century.
    you are correct in that aspect,.....however Henrin will be correct, on rights being lost, the destruction of the constitution, tyranny, then finally anarchy.

  4. #434
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    If you were following the earlier threads you would understand that Henrin stated that denying a person service at a hospital in a crisis situation, would not create harm. He then pulled out the red herring of 911 service being a government entity as counter to my "called 911" tale. Now you are breaking down different types of hospitals, funding, and what is right and wrong... this has spiraled into the most convoluted tangent of nonsense imaginable.
    You're right I missed where he said anyhting like that. He'd be wrong to say it, both because it would have a harmful effect and in that as I said hospitals are regulated differently than other businesses for service. You were wrong as well, private hospitals that do not take federal or state funds exist and they do only serve a limited clientele.

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    This all started as me making examples of how legalizing discrimination for any reason creates a whole web of ridiculous problems and harm. Can we get back to the original argument here of how businesses denying services to whoever they like, for whatever reason, is bad policy?
    I still disagree with you, I don't think it's bad policy at all. Vital services have nothing to do with the equation. I'll repeat, my refusal to sell you scones because I don't like your smell isn't going to do any harm to you or society in general. Especially when in modern reality there are two other places within a 1000 yeards that will sell you those scones no matter how much they think you reek.

  5. #435
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    We know sunshine. You want the right to discriminate against people based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and sexual orientation.

    This is the America of yesteryear.

    You're really going to hate the 21st Century.
    I HAVE the right to discriminate against anyone I please. All I'm saying is that the government needs to step off and stop violating the rights of people. Oh and btw, yeah, I don't like the 21st century, but that is mostly because liberals don't know the first thing about rights or economies.

  6. #436
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,530

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm not doing anything of the sort. I'm telling you the difference between government and private enterprise. You're trying your hardest to break my argument, but you are running into the logic that is the fundamental difference between government and private enterprise.
    Red herring, the argument isn't about the specifics of government and private enterprise, its about businesses denying service to patrons for any reason (discrimination). So are you amending your argument to say that only private businesses that have absolutely nothing to do with government in any way should be allowed to discriminate but others shouldn't?

  7. #437
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,462

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I HAVE the right to discriminate against anyone I please. All I'm saying is that the government needs to step off and stop violating the rights of people. Oh and btw, yeah, I don't like the 21st century, but that is mostly because liberals don't know the first thing about rights or economies.
    Shout it loud and proud, brother.

    Nothing makes me happier than when social cons announce their intentions, and most in normal America repulses at their suggestions.

  8. #438
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    We know sunshine. You want the right to discriminate against people based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and sexual orientation.

    This is the America of yesteryear.

    You're really going to hate the 21st Century.
    With the exception of that last, which is not a protected class, it's GOVERNMENT (and in some cases vital services) that is precluded from discriminating against those classes.

  9. #439
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,462

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    With the exception of that last, which is not a protected class, it's GOVERNMENT (and in some cases vital services) that is precluded from discriminating against those classes.
    In a number of states, yes, it most certainly is.

    Deal.

  10. #440
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Red herring, the argument isn't about the specifics of government and private enterprise, its about businesses denying service to patrons for any reason (discrimination). So are you amending your argument to say that only private businesses that have absolutely nothing to do with government in any way should be allowed to discriminate but others shouldn't?
    Once again, you're ignoring the difference between government services, what are called vital services and private business.

Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •