Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 679

Thread: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

  1. #421
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Do you understand the difference between paying for a service and not getting it, and simply being refused service in the first place?
    yeah , lilke noses us Jews have in the way, - I feel salty but lovely.

  2. #422
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    LoL, wut? So... are you suggesting hospital's are not privately owned? 911 systems are government operations so they should provide service but... hospitals don't have to?... unless you called 911?

    You're flopping around going in different directions trying to abstract your way out of this disaster.
    Actually, hospitals don't have to, However again, they are uniquely governed by law (generally) because for the most part, yes even some of the private ones, they take both state and federal funds. There are private and exclusive hospitals that take neither so they can keep their services private.

  3. #423
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,511

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Actually, hospitals don't have to, However again, they are uniquely governed by law (generally) because for the most part, yes even some of the private ones, they take both state and federal funds. There are private and exclusive hospitals that take neither so they can keep their services private.
    If you were following the earlier threads you would understand that Henrin stated that denying a person service at a hospital in a crisis situation, would not create harm. He then pulled out the red herring of 911 service being a government entity as counter to my "called 911" tale. Now you are breaking down different types of hospitals, funding, and what is right and wrong... this has spiraled into the most convoluted tangent of nonsense imaginable.

    This all started as me making examples of how legalizing discrimination for any reason creates a whole web of ridiculous problems and harm. Can we get back to the original argument here of how businesses denying services to whoever they like, for whatever reason, is bad policy?

  4. #424
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,441

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    It's like we're in some weird 1950's time warp.

    You guys are unbelievable.

  5. #425
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Racist laws? No, I support there being no laws on the matter of who the business wants to serve, allow on their property, to associate with, to provide their labor, or of who they will hire and who they will fire.
    So you support institutionalized racism because "they have the right to do so"?
    Also dont these kind of laws inherently go against the 14th amendment?


  6. #426
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    It's like we're in some weird 1950's time warp.

    You guys are unbelievable.
    Rights don't just disappear because you pass a law and 50 years pass after its passing. Get used to it.

  7. #427
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,441

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    So you support institutionalized racism because "they have the right to do so"?
    Also dont these kind of laws inherently go against the 14th amendment?
    Yes.
    ...

  8. #428
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    LoL, wut? So... are you suggesting hospital's are not privately owned? 911 systems are government operations so they should provide service but... hospitals don't have to?... unless you called 911?

    You're flopping around going in different directions trying to abstract your way out of this disaster.
    I'm not doing anything of the sort. I'm telling you the difference between government and private enterprise. You're trying your hardest to break my argument, but you are running into the logic that is the fundamental difference between government and private enterprise.

  9. #429
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, a straight couple should be able to go to a gay owned bakery and order a straight pride themed cake? It should be illegal to refuse them service?

    How about a white couple that orders a white pride themed cake from a black owned bakery?

    Or, a black photographer that is hired to work a KKK wedding? The law should force him to do it?
    If that law protects them yes. I am sorry why you don't understand that if there are laws against certain forms of discrimination and that is why a gay couple could sue the company that discriminated against them. But certainly the straight couple could sue.

    When you say illegal what do you mean?

  10. #430
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,441

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Rights don't just disappear because you pass a law and 50 years pass after its passing. Get used to it.
    We know sunshine. You want the right to discriminate against people based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and sexual orientation.

    This is the America of yesteryear.

    You're really going to hate the 21st Century.

Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •