Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 679

Thread: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

  1. #271
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The governor just pre-empted the federal courts, who would have struck it down anyway on the grounds that it was an endorsement of religion.
    How did it endorse religion??

  2. #272
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,533

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Libertarian purism, this is why nobody listens to you guys. Every time I hear a Libertarian preach about their rights I want to jab my ear drums with a steak knife. You ever notice how every problem the world has with you involves you sticking to your ideology 100% even though it hurts other people? It's the stupidest waste of time in the world. Of all the things you could be advocating you spend all your energy whining about your "right" to hurt other people if you so desire because your precious ideology says you deserve it.

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Libertarian purism, this is why nobody listens to you guys. Every time I hear a Libertarian preach about their rights I want to jab my ear drums with a steak knife. You ever notice how every problem the world has with you involves you sticking to your ideology 100% even though it hurts other people? It's the stupidest waste of time in the world. Of all the things you could be advocating you spend all your energy whining about your "right" to hurt other people if you so desire because your precious ideology says you deserve it.
    Well for one thing, you're reading posts at Debate politics, so jabbing your ear drums with a steak knife would do nothing to resolve the problem you appear to be suffering from. It would in fact, only create you another problem while still leaving you with the problem you were attempting to escape. That would be, as you called it, "the stupidest waste of time in the world". Second, it is amazing to me how people think that denying someone service is harming them. They came requesting service, and like anyone else that comes to you or me requesting our service, if we fail to provide it then we have not created a greater harm than the one they came to us with. All that we have done, and all that is possible to be done by that action, is that we have failed to assist them in their problem.
    Last edited by Henrin; 02-27-14 at 04:35 AM.

  4. #274
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Libertarian purism, this is why nobody listens to you guys. Every time I hear a Libertarian preach about their rights I want to jab my ear drums with a steak knife. You ever notice how every problem the world has with you involves you sticking to your ideology 100% even though it hurts other people? It's the stupidest waste of time in the world. Of all the things you could be advocating you spend all your energy whining about your "right" to hurt other people if you so desire because your precious ideology says you deserve it.
    And yet homosexuality went from a mental disease and a criminal act to something that is Holy in less than 30 years. It's amazing what persistent effort can do in getting a message out. OK, so you've outed yourself as a HATER but I'll be tolerant of you because that's just how I roll.

    We'll just have to let this experiment play out for 30 years and see how many more people come on board as Totalitarian Liberalism keeps advancing in its goal of oppressing more and more people.

  5. #275
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Well for one thing, you're reading posts at Debate politics, so jabbing your ear drums with a steak knife would do nothing to resolve the problem you appear to be suffering from. It would in fact, only create you another problem while still leaving you with the problem you were attempting to escape. That would be, as you called it, "the stupidest waste of time in the world". Second, it is amazing to me how people think that denying someone service is harming them. They came requesting service, and like anyone else that comes to you or me requesting our service, if we fail to provide it then we have not created a greater harm than the one they came to us with. All that we have done, and all that is possible to be done by that action, is that we have failed to assist them in their problem.
    That is only correct is one is to gauge "the sevice" as the net sum loss. "Service", and one's no gain-no loss status, is not the harm rendered by the refusal of service...the right of equal consideration to services is what has been denied and argued.

    Choosing to serve some while not serving others is the question...not the harm caused by not being served. The couple suing in court are not suing for damages because their wedding was ruined because they could not serve cake at their wedding and there was not other option to fulfull their need; it was filed because of refusal of service due to the precived type of wedding and the customers whom were wishing to purchase the cake.
    Last edited by 1750Texan; 02-27-14 at 05:42 AM.

  6. #276
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    like i said earlier there are milling of GOPers that support equal rights

    youll never hear or read me saying otherwise

    in fact i correct people when the make blanket statements like that

    stereotypically GOPers are against it, maybe even the majority are but most certainly not all of them
    She is not supportive of Gay rights....she had the foresight to see this was going to be bad for her state.

  7. #277
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor - chicagotribune.com




    back up links:

    Arizona governor vetoes anti-gay bill
    Arizona Governor Jan Brewer Vetoes Anti-Gay Bill - NBC News
    Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes so-called anti-gay bill - latimes.com
    Arizona governor vetoes controversial bill allowing denial of service to gays
    Arizona Governor Vetoes Bill Seen Discriminating Against Gays - Businessweek
    Jan Brewer Announces Veto Of Arizona Anti-Gay Bill SB 1062
    Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes anti-gay bill | MSNBC
    Arizona governor vetoes anti-gay bill - Chicago Sun-Times


    vetoed just like i thought and said it would be


    equality wins again



    again it shows the panic and fear of the bigots and those that support discrimination and are against equal rights. They see the writing on the wall, they know equal rights is winning and is going to win the war so they are getting desperate.

    The best part is, even if they win some of these little battles its things like this that are actually HELPING equal rights. The majority of the public eye judges it as wrong and see how nuts it is. But it establishes something that can be challenged in courts just like the state bannings. The vast majority of the lawsuits exist BECAUSE of state bannings lol. The bannings HELPED, its sweet poetic justice.

    THeres some other state trying these i hope they get some momentum behind them to draw more of the public eye on this insanity.



    Equality will keep winning in the USA because there aren't enough haters to stop it.

    This battle has very little to do with sex or the Bible and a whole lot to do with equal rights for every American citizen.

    And that is why, in the end, when this battle is over with, same-sex marriage will be legal all over the USA.

    I don't ask you to take my word for this-just wait and see what happens.

    Anyone who thinks (Wishes, hopes, dreams.) that the haters will win is out of touch with reality.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    Last edited by shrubnose; 02-27-14 at 06:52 AM.

  8. #278
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Good rule of thumb here is to never trust a liberal.

    Ted Kennedy, one of the main sponsors of the 1965 Immigration Reform spoke the following:

    "First, our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually. Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration remains substantially the same.... Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset.... Contrary to the charges in some quarters, [the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa and Asia.... In the final analysis, the ethnic pattern of immigration under the proposed measure is not expected to change as sharply as the critics seem to think.... The bill will not flood our cities with immigrants. It will not upset the ethnic mix of our society. It will not relax the standards of admission. It will not cause American workers to lose their jobs."

    Senator Hubert Humphrey speaking in favor of the Civil Rights Act of 1964:

    ". . . declared that if anyone could find in the law 'any language which provides that an employer will have to hire on the basis of percentage or quota . . ., I will start eating the pages one after another, because it is not in there.'"

    Back in 1989 the backers of a Mass. anti-discrimination law specifically noted that it "does not legalize 'gay marriage' or confer any right on homosexual, lesbian or unmarried heterosexual couples to 'domestic benefits.' Nor does passage of the bill put Massachusetts on a 'slippery slope' toward such rights." However, it was the very existence of these reforms which the New Jersey Supreme Court relied on to justify their ruling in favor of homosexual "marriage"

    In addressing plaintiffs' claimed interest in equality of treatment, we begin with a retrospective look at the evolving expansion of rights to gays and lesbians in this State. Today, in New Jersey, it is just as unlawful to discriminate against individuals on the basis of sexual orientation as it is to discriminate against them on the basis of race, national origin, age, or sex. Over the last three decades, through judicial decisions and comprehensive legislative enactments, this State, step by step, has protected gay and lesbian individuals from discrimination on account of their sexual orientation.

    And now, knowing the love that liberals have for pushing the legal notion of foreign precedent to be applicable to US jurisprudence, we see the following:

    Britainís most famous surrogate gay dads have hired lawyers to sue the Church of England for the right to a full-blown religious wedding.

    Barrie and Tony Drewitt-Barlow told Gay Star News it was important for them as Christians to marry in church and for their kids to see they were equal.

    So when you see a liberal promising you something, run the other way, because like the Terminator, they will never stop, promises are just stalling tactics to get you to drop your guard so that they can further strip you of your human rights.
    And none of what you wrote matters. We have a 1st amendments. As for the British thing....doesn't apply here and that is not true. Drewitt-Barlow can get married in many Christian churches that choose to bless gay couples. Show me how any church has been forced to marry anyone they don't want to.

  9. #279
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,374

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    And yet homosexuality went from a mental disease and a criminal act to something that is Holy in less than 30 years. It's amazing what persistent effort can do in getting a message out. OK, so you've outed yourself as a HATER but I'll be tolerant of you because that's just how I roll.

    We'll just have to let this experiment play out for 30 years and see how many more people come on board as Totalitarian Liberalism keeps advancing in its goal of oppressing more and more people.
    I think hysterical hyperbole will probably come first...you got a good start on it...
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  10. #280
    Live, Love, Laugh.
    SayMyName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Taizhou, China
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    A good decision by the governor.

Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •