Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 679

Thread: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

  1. #181
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,482

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    This is an exercise of history and logic and it's not my fault you lied on one front and failed on the other.
    Indeed it is an exercise in history and logic and you have no historical basis for your argument. If you really think there was consensus then what do you think the Supreme Court was doing in the 18th and early 19th centuries? Did the Hayburn's Case, Chisholm v. Georgia, United States v. Peters, Hollingsworth v. Virginia, Little v. Barreme, etc. just magically appear on the Supreme Court's docket? If there was consensus, as you allege, then how did any of those cases come to exist in the first place?

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    I'm not attacking him as a person, I'm challenging your attacks and his position. You spoke of being illogical, well, an anarchistic society with protections for any rights is about as contradictory and illogical as it gets.
    You speak of something you don't understand and I advise you to stop. As an anarchist at heart and someone that understands the ideas behind anarchist societies I assure you there is measures they take to protect rights. It is not as foolhardy as you assume. Anarchist are usually brilliant with enormous IQ's that do not put together half hearted efforts in their reforms of society generally speaking and Spooner was no different in this regard. To start this talk however, we need to pick an anarchist school of thought, so go to Wikipedia and pick one you desire to talk of with me. At that point, we can continue this, but I can not speak on it generally as there is far to many approaches to consider for one post. Keep in mind that Spooner was individualist, so if you want this talk to be relevant pick an individualist approach.

  3. #183
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I was in Chapter for my fraternity when i got an update on my phone from AP. I literally just smiled and nodded. Two great equal rights news came today; Texas and Arizona. The bigots are finally losing.
    nice!

    yep the news about equal rights winning just doesn't stop

    thats why there is some much panic its awesome and yes it was a good day for equlity

    its so obvious what the futures holds and its equal rights
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #184
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,856

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I was in Chapter for my fraternity when i got an update on my phone from AP. I literally just smiled and nodded. Two great equal rights news came today; Texas and Arizona. The bigots are finally losing.
    How do you justify your bigotry toward those who believe marriage to be between a man and a woman and find marriage in their religious beliefs to be a sacrament? How do you justify trumping their rights for others by not allowing them to practice their beliefs in regard to their business/their livelihood ? How do you justify that now in this country a person who practices their religious beliefs in word and deed are now in fear of being punished by their government?

  5. #185
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,729

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    I have to admit, I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I think businesses should have the right to refuse on any basis, on the other hand, if we allow people to refuse service because of religion, where does it stop?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Trespassing. For some reason there is exceptions to the law.

    Love,
    People that understand logic
    Last edited by Henrin; 02-27-14 at 01:27 AM.

  7. #187
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Oh the irony here is rich. You belong to a elitist and discriminatory organization like a fraternity
    Actually my Fraternity the whole discriminatory thing got removed in the 40's.
    Hell one of my pledge brothers who i consider one of my best friends is gay and came out to all of us as a member. So yea. No irony.


  8. #188
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,772

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    I believe your post speaks to what Sen. Hatch was saying, in being torn between State's rights and discrimination.
    The link is earlier.
    As is my thing right now, I find the X, Risky and Danarhea posting styles on this issue to be a fascinating watch .
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Ok, so do you believe religious leaders should be required to perform same sex weddings even if they oppose them on religious grounds?
    Physics is Phun

  9. #189
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    How do you justify your bigotry toward those who believe marriage to be between a man and a woman and find marriage in their religious beliefs to be a sacrament? How do you justify trumping their rights for others by not allowing them to practice their beliefs in regard to their business/their livelihood ? How do you justify that now in this country a person who practices their religious beliefs in word and deed are now in fear of being punished by their government?
    Religious freedom in America means that we all have a right to our religious beliefs but this does not give us the right to use any religion to discriminate against and impose those beliefs on others who do not share them


  10. #190
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, you think that because the state has powers that peoples rights are somehow trumped by those powers. Nope, that is not how it works. My rights come first and then their powers come into play. Not the other way around. Once you get that down you might be able to defend your case for the law. Until then, good luck to you.


    You have rights, the same rights that we all have--your conscience does not...IMO...

Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •