Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 679

Thread: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    It doesn't stop. Pretty soon we're right back to jim crow - "white only" retaurants, you name it. Of course, nothing stopping a business from banning christians, but seeing as that's probably over 90% of arizona's population, you just know it's the jews, muslims, gays, blacks etc who will be banned from all businesses.

    It's stupid as hell anyway. So they're not allowed to discriminate and that's somehow going to hurt their business?

    14th amendment and civil rights act took care of all this already. Even if she signed it, the courts would pulverize it.
    The fourteenth amendment deals with states, not the private sector. Do you need me to quote it for you?

  2. #122
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I have heard that there are plenty of LGBT groups that would love to be a part of drafting new versions of these bills so that religious liberties can be protected and incidents like the Cake Shop Owner and Wedding Photographer will not happen in other states. Instead of being adversarial, why not include gay rights folks so that we can have legislation that genuinely seeks to secure religious liberty rather than just trying to strip gay rights under the guise of religion? Freedom of association should be a public discussion, not a partisan issue.
    Best post of the thread (granted, I only read the first page). I admit, I've tended to think in terms of religious liberty and gay rights as being at cross purposes (making me completely schizophrenic on the issue since I understand both sides/arguments) but they shouldn't have to be should they? There are many gay people who are also religious. You've given me something to think about.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,677

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    A sanctimonious sexual revolution. (A fad)
    Maybe I'm missing something....what are you talking about?

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If your right is made up nonsense? Sure. It's simple, first you argue that the powers of the government come from the people, then you argue that if you don't like what the people say - the law is wrong and you shouldn't have to follow it. I'm sorry you live in such a self centered childish world where if things aren't put your way, you simply refuse to do them. However, that's how laws work in reality. Don't like it? Leave.
    I never said I didn't have to follow it. Do you enjoy the strawman you have there? Oh, and the right to property is not made up nonsense.

    We have this argument over and over again and I've seen you have it with other people. You simply can't accept that you do not get to set the laws and then hide behind "the people" when "the people" are the ones that create the laws and rights in the first place.
    The government creates laws. At least know the basics before posting. Otherwise, we will never get anywhere.

  5. #125
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    1,)Why the KKK is most certainly a race based organization.
    2.)They be all White.
    3.) Wouldn't they be the flip side of the Black Panthers?
    4.) So under your rules if the KKK requested a black caterer to service their event he has no right to discriminate against a white supremacy group or ask for special treatment.
    5.)Brahahahahahahahaha
    1.) nope its a hate based org and the discrimaintion inst happening to "white people" the cater already serves many whites right?
    2.) see #1
    3.) once again you are not educated on these topics are you???

    first off there have been many black panther orgs in history and NONE of them are like the KKK or as sever.
    Many black panther orgs let whites join and most certainly didnt just kill people based on race lmao

    if you were white with a black guy and the KKK showed up and you said no wait he is cool, they killed you both

    if you were black with a white guy and you said hey this guys cool then he was cool or maybe just suspect lol

    good grief, your welcome again for the education on this dude

    4.) again you fail its not MY rules its the law and its out rights and under the law and rights he has every right to LEGALLY discriminate as long as its no because of age, disability, origin, race/color, gender, religion or in some cases sexual orientation .

    your post is destroyed and facts win again

    5.) im glad you find it funny because we do to its hilarious watching your post burn in flames and facts destroy them
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #126
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Why should your civil rights trump my right to freely practice my religion? Why should the government be allowed to deny me my right to freely practice my religion?
    good thing this factually is not happening
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #127
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,677

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    good thing this factually is not happening
    It's not happening a lot (because most people are generally sane and agreeable) but it is happening and, with some of the rules in the PPACA, happening at the federal level too.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    What dysfunction is my religious belief creating?
    It doesn't have to be a religious belief. It could be a perfectly secular belief like discriminating against whites. However, as long as you're around, here are some examples of how some religious beliefs create dysfunction:

    Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Act, 2014 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    LGBT rights in Iran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ca-gay-rights/

    Political policies created for the purpose of sheltering religious discrimination do create dysfunction within a society. It allows for the social, economic as well as cultural isolation of groups. They without a doubt have been shown to grow into full fledged persecution efforts. This bill? It basically threatened to put Arizona one step away from prosecuting homosexual acts.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #129
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,880

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    yah this failed strawman was tried in court, did you read the ruling, now print is hard to read but by the ruling it seemed the judge almost pissed himself with laughter over that failed strawman

    theres NOTHING you described (even with the factual inaccuracies and fantasies) that gives one the right to violate the rights of others
    If you really believed that then you would be all over those laws that create special privileges based on sexual orientation and gender identity that are being used to trump fundamental civil liberties such as freedom of speech and the free exercise of religion. If you really believed the jive you type you would admit these sexual orientation and gender laws have serious flaws. They frequently fail to protect the civil liberties of Americans, especially when it comes to property rights and our religious liberty. And if you really believed in freedom....Americans must be free to live and love how they choose. Protecting religious liberty and the rights of conscience does not infringe on anyone’s sexual freedoms. All Americans should remain free in the public square to act in accordance with their beliefs about marriage without fear of government penalty.

  10. #130
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed by governor

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something....what are you talking about?
    Apparently, if a business discriminated it would create social dysfunction. And the dysfunction would be in regards to a sexual revolution. I have little sympathy for that argument that rights must be eroded in order to silence dissent against relativist trends.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •