Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 515

Thread: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

  1. #311
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,964

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by sneakosview View Post
    What a cute response! Who spelt crickets for you?

    The same person that liked to point out when people have no response to an argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #312
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    03-20-14 @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    575

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Wonderful.

  3. #313
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,964

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by sneakosview View Post
    Wonderful.
    Is that a reply to me? A non-reply actually.

    Most people that enter a discussion are actually capable of conducting a rational argument....perhaps you could try a blog of one-liners and see if anyone is interested.

    Or or or...you could just admit when you dont have an argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #314
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,450

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Time for a brief musical interlude?



  5. #315
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,450

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The floodgates to more loving couples and stable families? The horror.
    When the first Public Accommodation Laws were passed (CRA64), there was a great deal of religious belief (mostly in the south, but also in other parts of the country) that "race-mixing" was directly in conflict with their religion. Indeed it was against the law to marry another race in a number of states.

    In fact, the judge who upheld Virginia’s anti-miscegenation statute in Loving v. Virginia cited the bible and noted God had put the races on separate continents as proof “that he did not intend for the races to mix.” It was literally an appeal to divine authority. Thankfully it was not many years (three to be exact) the Supreme Court would find laws against interracial marriages were unconstitutional.

    Nonetheless, it was most certainly a "deeply held religious conviction" to some (and still is) that would allow them to discriminate in exactly the same way as the couple in this instance -- that is, a baker refusing to "be a part of this wedding."

    How many would uphold that religious belief as Supreme today? With the baker being allowed to say "I don't believe in mixed race marriages, to me it is a sin?" How has it worked for those who have tried to use it?

    As I noted in an earlier post of mine, bigots are free to discriminate, they however need to find a way to be clever about it. In Elane photography, for example, just saying "Sorry, booked up" or some other reason to not produce evidence you are actively discriminating. Same with the bakers.

    I'm certain it goes on all the time today, and did in the past for the ones against "race-mixing" and integration for religious reasons. So the message is clear: you want to be a bigot, be one. Just be clever about it.
    This does not violate your religious principles.

    Unless your purpose is to find an excuse to insult and offend those potential customers you think have cherry-picked as sinners.

    Which at its base, I think, is exactly what some of these religious objectors want to do.

  6. #316
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Hopefully you do not think you are quoting the constitution.

    Would it matter?
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  7. #317
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Whose coffin?

    So many Christians seem to forget that God is the only Judge.
    That was my point.

    One day we will all stand before our judge.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  8. #318
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    How unAmerican, to suggest that the states should base law on a religious belief...and not even a universal one. Last I checked, every state, even TX married atheists, all religions, and all sinners. Even felons, fornicators and adulterers are allowed to marry. What's God's opinion on that?
    This country and the state of Texas were created on Biblical principles.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  9. #319
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,450

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    And that's why the Constitution is all so Jesusy.

  10. #320
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    That was my point.

    One day we will all stand before our judge.
    If it's God's job to police this, why do mortals spend so much time and effort trying to do it for him by banning same-sex marriage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    This country and the state of Texas were created on Biblical principles.
    Also with the specific intention of separating church and state, established in the first amendment. If Christian doctrine can be used as the basis of law, so can Old Testament God, or Sharia Law. Let's get to the stoning.

    In fact, the constitution declares itself to be the supreme law of the land. Direct opposition to the core biblical principle.

    The constitution of Iran mentions Islam several times. Our constitution doesn't mention the bible or Christianity even once. Did they do a better job writing their constitution than we did?
    Last edited by Deuce; 02-28-14 at 10:36 AM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •