Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 515

Thread: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

  1. #161
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    So the courts forced the AZ gov to veto that bill? Who knew?
    The bill that was vetoed had nothing to do with marriage and the bill that was vetoed mirrors Federal law. You have no idea what you are talking about again as you read the headlines but not the story

  2. #162
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,440

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yes, race is a protected class, the issue was a man and a woman wanting to get married in Va. They met the laws of the state but were denied based upon race. That is why it was overturned, has nothing to do with SSM

    Yes, there are laws against SSM, those laws are being changed int he states and that is where the issue belongs. You change the laws in 50 states, so be it, but stay out of the courts. As it stands right now, in TX you have the same rights as I have, to marry someone of the opposite sex that will have you. No discrimination, state law
    Loving v Virginia held that marriage is a fundamental right.

    And whenever I hear that silly argument, "you have the same rights as I have, to marry someone of the opposite sex..."

    I think of this:


  3. #163
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    The courts are there specifically for this purpose. Their JOB is to determine the constitutionality of laws.

    I see you didn't respond to the FACT the gender is a protected class, and laws against same sex marriage are based on GENDER since no state bans a homosexual (sexual orientation) from getting married.

    At one time states had marriage laws regarding the race you were allowed to marry. They were found to be unconstitutional through the courts doing their job.
    Show me marriage or sexual orientation in the Constitution. How does not being married affect a SSM couple and thus subject to protection under the Constitution. The state of TX authorizes civil unions and domestic partnerships. You seem to want what you want and ignore state or common law trying to force your opinions and views on others and putting into the Constitution that which isn't there

  4. #164
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    Loving v Virginia held that marriage is a fundamental right.

    And whenever I hear that silly argument, "you have the same rights as I have, to marry someone of the opposite sex..."

    I think of this:

    It is a right guaranteed to two people of the opposite sex. Loving vs Va was a civil rights issue having to do with race.

  5. #165
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,440

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The bill that was vetoed had nothing to do with marriage
    Except the words of the people who crafted it said the same-sex photography case their motivation. Try again.

    and the bill that was vetoed mirrors Federal law. You have no idea what you are talking about again as you read the headlines but not the story
    No, it doesn't.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    Loving v Virginia held that marriage is a fundamental right.

    And whenever I hear that silly argument, "you have the same rights as I have, to marry someone of the opposite sex..."

    I think of this:

    So where does it stop, daughters marrying their sister, brothers marrying their brother, family members marrying other blood relatives. You people have no idea what you are doing and that is what is sad, all because of a selfish desire to have a title that you don't deserve and simply want attention. Civil unions work, domestic partnerships work, but no, this is nothing more than a temper tantrum

  7. #167
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    Except the words of the people who crafted it said the same-sex photography case their motivation. Try again.


    No, it doesn't.
    Your opinion noted

  8. #168
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,440

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So where does it stop, daughters marrying their sister, brothers marrying their brother, family members marrying other blood relatives. You people have no idea what you are doing and that is what is sad, all because of a selfish desire to have a title that you don't deserve and simply want attention. Civil unions work, domestic partnerships work, but no, this is nothing more than a temper tantrum
    I agree - the silly arguments made by social cons are nothing but temper tantrums, because they know, like so many of their causes, they find themselves on the wrong side of history.

  9. #169
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,286

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Wow, getting desperate now,
    Dodge much? Not surprised.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    equating marriage which is common law to eating which is a requirement to live.
    I did no such thing. I just posed a simple question to underscore the hypocrisy of the supposed religious freedoms right wingers are suggesting they hold dear. Almost all of which are Christian fundamentalist in nature. I certainly understand why you are avoiding the question. Rather embarrassing to admit.

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Texas Gay Marriage Ban Latest to Be Struck Down[W:97]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yes, race is a protected class, the issue was a man and a woman wanting to get married in Va. They met the laws of the state but were denied based upon race. That is why it was overturned, has nothing to do with SSM Yes, there are laws against SSM, those laws are being changed int he states and that is where the issue belongs. You change the laws in 50 states, so be it, but stay out of the courts. As it stands right now, in TX you have the same rights as I have, to marry someone of the opposite sex that will have you. No discrimination, state law
    Another CON not understand how our system works... if the courts didn't use the Constitution as a yardstick for laws states pass there would be little if any real social progress, such as racial equality. The Courts look at laws and determine if they pass Constitutional muster.

    It isn't a simple matter of citizens of a state can pass a bad law and we are done... other citizens can challenge that law IN COURT and redress their grievances.

    It works both ways as the recent Heller decision overturned a law that had been 'sacred' since 1976, enacted in response to a crack epidemic, not to keep righteous folks from having weapons (funny how the CONs love to ignore why a ban can to be)

    As a law since 1976 was overturned (and should have been) so to shall SSM bans/definitions of marriage as hetro only and 'defending hetro marriage' be history...

Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •