Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 217

Thread: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

  1. #41
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,935

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Sometimes doctors and medicine don't do any good either.
    Are you downplaying the awfulness of their decision by placing it under the protection of freedom of religion?

  2. #42
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,135

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Are you downplaying the awfulness of their decision by placing it under the protection of freedom of religion?
    No, I'm saying doctors and modern medicine sometimes kill or maim people whereas that's not something prayers are capable of..
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  3. #43
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Ironically, this couple has come full circle and is simple embracing the next step in the pro-choice movement:

    After-Birth Abortion.



    I think I can fairly accurately guess those parents are on your pro-life team on the abortion issue.

  4. #44
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Are you downplaying the awfulness of their decision by placing it under the protection of freedom of religion?
    It's a retroactive Conservative persecution complex response.

  5. #45
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    A person can pray for their child without contradicting medical care.

    People like to use this to attack religious people. The parents should be charged with child abuse in my opinion. But not for being religious. MANY children die due to parents not taking their child to the doctor. 99% of the time this is because they don't give a damn, are apathetic, are uneducated, don't want to spent the time or money, or it is due to child abuse they caused so don't want doctors involved - having NOTHING to do with religion.

    We don't read much of those, yet that is where kids are dying in notable numbers for lack of medical care. The media (and some on this forum) seize on these stories as a way to attack religious people.

    As another member noted, pray didn't kill the child. The parents being religious didn't. Pneumonia did and the parents refused to allow it to be treated.

    But, as many people declare, they want them to be a SPECIAL case as example to all RELIGIOUS parents - not all parents who don't obtain medical care for their children.

  6. #46
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I just hope one day these intensely religious folks come to understand God can work through Doctors so praying the doctors can cure their sick child is alright by Him...
    I'm very curious how you come to this. I'm an atheist, but have studied the bible with focus on the NT. Sorry, but Jesus says don't be afraid to die because god will love you if you've embraced xianity. It has always given me two very strong impressions that are entirely against what you're saying or the behavior of most xians. First that one should be willing to die for a cause but not kill for it. Secondly that one who has let god/jesus/holy spirit into his/her heart should not be afraid to die.

    If you believe in god, and that god knows all, is active in each and every life, then why is it illogical (given that all religion is illogical) within that directive for someone to accept the will of god in relation to themselves and/or their children?
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I'm very curious how you come to this. I'm an atheist, but have studied the bible with focus on the NT. Sorry, but Jesus says don't be afraid to die because god will love you if you've embraced xianity. It has always given me two very strong impressions that are entirely against what you're saying or the behavior of most xians. First that one should be willing to die for a cause but not kill for it. Secondly that one who has let god/jesus/holy spirit into his/her heart should not be afraid to die. If you believe in god, and that god knows all, is active in each and every life, then why is it illogical (given that all religion is illogical) within that directive for someone to accept the will of god in relation to themselves and/or their children?
    There is a funny little country song that addresses this- Kenny Chesney. "Everybody wants to go to heaven, nobody wants to go there now."

    My opinion- since Christianity became a religion of kings it has morphed away from the 'true path'. No pacifist religion can conquer new worlds or justify wars of acquisition. I to have noticed many supposedly very devote Christians fight for every last gasp of breath no matter the pain or quality of life. If there is a greater reward in Heaven why are we even mucking about down here- just hollar "JESUS loves me!" and slip the mortal coil.

    The problem I have with Gawd's Will is the ultimate extent is to just leave your baby on the rock ya shat it out on. Gawd will provide. Don't worry about food, shelter, basic hygiene- if it is Gawd's Will.... Don't worry about pollution, Gawd will take care of that.

    So some very smart folks sat down to come up with a construct that can serve the 'It's in Gawd's Hands now' and 'We have been given a brain, opposable thumbs and dominion over the Earth for a reason'. It goes like this... we should strive to do all we can as Gawd didn't make us simple cattle, and once having done all we can it is in Gawd's Hands.

    Now here, hit this and ponder that... good weed has helped me understand religion and oddly enough un-understand it later in life...

  8. #48
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    To which god replies "I sent you a warning, a boat and a helicopter what more do you ****ing want from me"
    Buddy should've read post 10, then he wouldn't known the punch line and gotten in one of those boats

  9. #49
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    There is a funny little country song that addresses this- Kenny Chesney. "Everybody wants to go to heaven, nobody wants to go there now."

    My opinion- since Christianity became a religion of kings it has morphed away from the 'true path'. No pacifist religion can conquer new worlds or justify wars of acquisition. I to have noticed many supposedly very devote Christians fight for every last gasp of breath no matter the pain or quality of life. If there is a greater reward in Heaven why are we even mucking about down here- just hollar "JESUS loves me!" and slip the mortal coil.

    The problem I have with Gawd's Will is the ultimate extent is to just leave your baby on the rock ya shat it out on. Gawd will provide. Don't worry about food, shelter, basic hygiene- if it is Gawd's Will.... Don't worry about pollution, Gawd will take care of that.

    So some very smart folks sat down to come up with a construct that can serve the 'It's in Gawd's Hands now' and 'We have been given a brain, opposable thumbs and dominion over the Earth for a reason'. It goes like this... we should strive to do all we can as Gawd didn't make us simple cattle, and once having done all we can it is in Gawd's Hands.

    Now here, hit this and ponder that... good weed has helped me understand religion and oddly enough un-understand it later in life...
    I understood it back when I was a goody two shoe, and still understand it now that I toke. What remains a mystery to me either way is the why NT xians seem to be living OT jewish principles of war, intolerance, authoritarianism, etc.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  10. #50
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    I don't understand how one can pray and pray and pray yet not take action which would allow God to manifest the answer to one's prayer. It's like praying to God for your life to be better and then sitting on your ass all day. God helps those who help themselves.

    It's unfortunate that some religious people have short-circuited thinking where they believe that putting a sick person into total isolation, away from all the world's resources, is the best way to test God's will. There is nothing in the Bible that says modern medicine, or any kind of medicine for that matter, is bad.

    To me this looks like pure selfishness and I don't buy the argument that they were innocently doing what they thought was best for their child. How can any parent be alive in the 21st century and think that simply praying for a child with infectious pneumonia is going to change something?

    These people should not be breeding.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •