Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 217

Thread: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

  1. #171
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,123

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    They took their religion to the extreme and ultimately killed two of their own in the name of their religion. People are free to practice whatever religion or belief they chose...but its not a legal or protected right to do harm in the name of a relgion, not even to your own kids.
    they did NO harm
    the simply followed the teachings of their faith

    Religious individuals are still subject to the same criminal laws as everyone else.
    true. what crime did the parents commit?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #172
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    notice how the court violated their first amendment right with that order
    it compelled the parents to ignore their personal religious beliefs and instead seek medical attention instead of prayer
    the state should have sought to seek custody of the kids if their welfare was a concern
    the court cannot compel someone to not practice the teachings of their faith
    BS...you cannot shield yourself with religious freedom from CRIMINAL ACTIONS.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #173
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,123

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    So if it was my deeply held religious belief that food was unnecessary so long as one's faith was strong and I prayed, could I then be permitted to starve my children to death so long my reason for doing so was my deeply held religious belief that food was unnecessary and my prayer was all the nourishment they needed?
    do you believe that parents who fast, consistent with their religious beliefs, also do not compel their children to also fast?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #174
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    they did NO harm
    the simply followed the teachings of their faith


    true. what crime did the parents commit?
    Again, in the death of the first child that died in 2009, they were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, child endangerment and conspiracy charges.

    I cannot believe how wrong your argument is here......astounding.

    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...er-death_n.htm
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 02-26-14 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added 2009 link
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #175
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,139

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    do you believe that parents who fast, consistent with their religious beliefs, also do not compel their children to also fast?
    Of course they do, well depending on age and particular denominations, but lets call it yes. The thing is that there is a huge difference between fasting and the discomfort that can cause temporarily with no long term effects and death which tends to be permanent.

  6. #176
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,139

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    true. what crime did the parents commit?
    Depraved negligence especially in light of the court order to seek medical attention for the child.

  7. #177
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    do you believe that parents who fast, consistent with their religious beliefs, also do not compel their children to also fast?
    A parent that chooses to fast based upon their religious beliefs is an adult and thus can legally consent to fasting even if they did so for such a long period of time that it was dangerous to their health or life.

    However, a child cannot legally consent. Thus while it is legally permissible for a parent to compel their child to fast in observance of their religious beliefs, it is not legal for a parent to compel their child to fast for such a long period that it endangers the life or health of their child. Certainly you see the difference there.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #178
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,305

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Our freedoms are such that they allow us to make decisions which may cause
    harm to others.
    Everyone needs to understand that while we have the freedom
    to make the decisions, some decisions have consequences.
    Some of those consequences include the loss of freedom, or even our lives.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    do you believe that parents who fast, consistent with their religious beliefs, also do not compel their children to also fast?
    As long as fasting doesn't cause physical harm or involve extreme mental cruelty then they shouldn't have to worry. Parents, normal parents don't like to see their children suffer and usually make sure family members eat a full meal before fasting and a big meal afterwards. It's really not that big of deal.

  10. #180
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,256

    Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    You sit here and ridicule others faith
    I have zero problem with people having faith. Even if they want to believe in a book teeming with fairy tales. Go for it.

    However I have a huge problem when their faith kills 2 young children when it was completely avoidable. They should be dropped on their heads.

    So run along now or you will miss Fox and Friends.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •