Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: Jason Collins played last night

  1. #71
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    912

    Re: Jason Collins played last night

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Don't put words in my mouth...You mention a conspiracy. Well with all the cowardly GMs speaking out against Sam as a "distraction": Video Dallas Sportscaster Goes In On NFL Officials For Saying Michael Sams Stock Will Be Hurt On Dra - YouTube

    This despite discrimination being illegal in many of their cities.

    But look, if about 5% of pro athletes were openly gay and were truly a non issue, you think i'd root only for them? Come on lol. It's the *total* lack of representation that gets immediately noticed and received as "You are not welcome here." I certainly wish it were a non issue, but what i don't see is any criticism by you or others here of the homophobic jackasses who created this. You seriously just posted that it's sheer coincidence that none has come out till now and there's nothing the league could do.

    Beyond that, many face rejection from sports at a young age, often because of their sexuality, then turn on TV as adults and yeah, same bully **** is going on (minnesota special teams coach only latest example), still not welcome. That's the thing. I rather like football, but not when being so disrespected. Went to a Lions game once. Boy was that a mistake. Time for the NFL to clean up its act and confront its bigotry.

    The reason you see such attention on this is because this is a market segment that's been totally ignored and disrespected. No more. Whatever team Sams ends up with will have a cult following.
    Why are they "cowardly?" It's their jobs that are on the line if they screw up their draft. Don't you think maybe they know just a little more about their team chemistry than you do?

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Jason Collins played last night

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    micheal jordon was the king of traveling. he'd stop dribbling at the top of the key on most dunks.
    two steps is given, but the new guys were getting three steps. Jordan was the man i quit watching after he quit.

  3. #73
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Jason Collins played last night

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    He sucked but he played in the NBA for 13 years? I suck at basketball and I haven't even gotten a tryout.

    If he was in the closet, it wouldn't even be a story. If he was in the closet, you wouldn't feel compelled to say he sucked, when he clearly was good enough to play for 13 years. Oscar was right that he had a role, which is to go in, get physical and foul some guys. According to his stats of 11 minutes and 5 fouls, he's still pretty good at this role.

    Do you watch hockey? Almost every team has an enforcer - the guy whose job it is to go out on the ice and fight so that the star players don't have to. Often, they're popular with the fans. Nobody looked at Rob Ray's one goal per year and said he was a failure - his job was to rack up the penalty minutes, and if he had less than 200 in a year, you started to wonder.

    Regardless, now it's done. We don't have to debate about what will happen when there's an openly gay guy in professional sports. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to, but it's not a perfect world.
    Well he actually started on a conference finals team as well. It's not like his current role was how his career began. In any case, ignore the haters. It's newsworthy and they just have to piss on any sign of progress.

  4. #74
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Jason Collins played last night

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry7 View Post
    Why are they "cowardly?" It's their jobs that are on the line if they screw up their draft. Don't you think maybe they know just a little more about their team chemistry than you do?
    You're barking way up the wrong tree if you think i'm ever going to defend discrimination like that. Like with jackie robinson, sometimes things have to be shaken up. Some might be prejudiced against a certain group so the solution is to keep that group out to the extent possible? **** that.

    In addition, numerous NFL cities and states have passed laws against this kind of heinous hiring practice for some very good reasons. In civilized parts of society, this "team chemistry" excuse will never fly. Imagine a college student demands a dorm swap cause of having a gay roommate. Now how is it NFL teams can function with a dog killer, a murder suspect (ray lewis), drunk drivers and drug addicts galore, but a single gay player....Enough with the BS excuses.

  5. #75
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Jason Collins played last night

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Well he actually started on a conference finals team as well. It's not like his current role was how his career began. In any case, ignore the haters. It's newsworthy and they just have to piss on any sign of progress.
    yeah, but his current role has been his current role for the last 4-6 years. the dude was done. call me cynical, but he only "came out" in order to get attention and try to prolong his career by another season.

    he's basically been the NBA equivalent of a "hockey goon" his entire career and not much more than "trade fodder".

    he was decent enough at the beginning, but after about 2007, he dropped off. 07-08 season he got traded midway through the season (a deal in which his team had to add cash to sweeten the deal). At the end of that season he was traded again. at the end of the next season he was let go once again. picked up by the Hawks before being traded to the Celtics during his last season and the Celts traded him away halfway through that season.

    dude was traded as often as internet porn.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Jason Collins played last night

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    You're barking way up the wrong tree if you think i'm ever going to defend discrimination like that. Like with jackie robinson, sometimes things have to be shaken up. Some might be prejudiced against a certain group so the solution is to keep that group out to the extent possible? **** that.

    In addition, numerous NFL cities and states have passed laws against this kind of heinous hiring practice for some very good reasons. In civilized parts of society, this "team chemistry" excuse will never fly. Imagine a college student demands a dorm swap cause of having a gay roommate. Now how is it NFL teams can function with a dog killer, a murder suspect (ray lewis), drunk drivers and drug addicts galore, but a single gay player....Enough with the BS excuses.
    I'm interested in something and would an answer if you have one. Who asked you what you thought about their hiring practices? How in the hell is it civilized to force your will on others in who they hire and do business with?

    Do people even know what the word "civilized" means?

  7. #77
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    912

    Re: Jason Collins played last night

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    You're barking way up the wrong tree if you think i'm ever going to defend discrimination like that. Like with jackie robinson, sometimes things have to be shaken up. Some might be prejudiced against a certain group so the solution is to keep that group out to the extent possible? **** that.

    In addition, numerous NFL cities and states have passed laws against this kind of heinous hiring practice for some very good reasons. In civilized parts of society, this "team chemistry" excuse will never fly. Imagine a college student demands a dorm swap cause of having a gay roommate. Now how is it NFL teams can function with a dog killer, a murder suspect (ray lewis), drunk drivers and drug addicts galore, but a single gay player....Enough with the BS excuses.
    The NFL is all about results. Winning and losing, making the playoffs, sell outs. You are calling GMs whose careers are on the line "cowards". You cite Jackie Robinson. Robinson was a Hall of Famer whose teams won 6 NL pennants and a World Series. Yeah, you shake it up for a talent like that. If you're not sure of the talent it's not difficult to understand the reluctance to make waves. Team chemistry is real and legitimate when your job is at stake.

  8. #78
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Jason Collins played last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    If you want gay athletes to be treated like anyone else in the locker room, the gay jokes will get ramped up big time. Locker rooms are ruthless in that regard, but in a fun, bust-your-balls kind of way. Any angle available is taken full advantage of.

    If they can't take that, they'll NEVER be accepted. It's a big part of any testosterone-filled locker room.
    Based on his post history, he's not doing it to evoke delirium (it wasn't funny anyway) but to take cheap shots. If it's someone i know and even consider a friend, that's another matter.

    But after the revelations of criminal behavior going on in the miami locker room, why the hell would i want michael sam or anyone else treated like that? The NFL is the problem in this equation. Once again, get the neanderthals/bigots out of there is how i would handle it.

  9. #79
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Jason Collins played last night

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry7 View Post
    The NFL is all about results. Winning and losing, making the playoffs, sell outs. You are calling GMs whose careers are on the line "cowards". You cite Jackie Robinson. Robinson was a Hall of Famer whose teams won 6 NL pennants and a World Series. Yeah, you shake it up for a talent like that. If you're not sure of the talent it's not difficult to understand the reluctance to make waves. Team chemistry is real and legitimate when your job is at stake.
    What you describe is no different from any other business, yet we are a society of laws. If they want to **** over michael sam, all he has to do is subpoena the SI interviews and sue the piss out of all those teams, and i would fully support that. But hey, i'm sure it won't come to that, because the NFL is SO open minded?

    Yes i say the GMs are cowards if they can't handle a few prejudiced assholes (and don't fit the bill themselves)

  10. #80
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Jason Collins played last night

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm interested in something and would an answer if you have one. Who asked you what you thought about their hiring practices? How in the hell is it civilized to force your will on others in who they hire and do business with?

    Do people even know what the word "civilized" means?
    I didn't, over a dozen NFL cities did that on their own and numerous states. I don't have any sympathy for bigots and i couldn't care less what happens to them if they try to make others suffer. But i know you're asking me cause you don't like homos and you wish michael sam hadn't sold his soul or whatever cracked up idea you have. So you're just trying to show me up instead of engage in worthwhile debate, so with that,

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •