Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 182

Thread: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

  1. #51
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,795

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Alcohol and tobacco have nothing to do with this thread, neither does the voting age.
    Ole Miss is to be congratulated for setting the proper example fror their student body going forth.
    This is a learning moment for all of their students, and hopefully for the three involved also .
    Physics is Phun

  2. #52
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    What's unbelievable is your reaction. Nowhere did I suggest giving them a pass. They did what they did, for whatever stupid reason they pulled the prank. The over reaction is indicting the school, the state, the country, the fraternity as some of you seem to enjoy doing in your race to satisfy some sort of racist based guilt.

    That said, a college kid gets caught mooning passersbys from a moving vehicle. That could buy them the same consequence as a pervert flasher receives/ The key is judgement. One of these things is not like the other.
    Where did I do any of those things. Go back and find where I indicted the whole state of Mississippi, the college, or in fact anyone other than them. You were complaining about how their "lives and careers are impacted forever...." Yes, they are impacted by the stupid decision that they made.

    Your contention wass that their lives shouldn't be impacted. In other words: "no punishment." Now you're backpedaling.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #53
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Where did I do any of those things. Go back and find where I indicted the whole state of Mississippi, the college, or in fact anyone other than them. You were complaining about how their "lives and careers are impacted forever...." Yes, they are impacted by the stupid decision that they made.

    Your contention wass that their lives shouldn't be impacted. In other words: "no punishment." Now you're backpedaling.
    Nonsense. I wasn't complaining, simply stating the fact. If fact if you read the post and what I was responding to I was doing the opposite of complaining.

    Also I did not single you out as one of the ones indicting the school, the state and the fraternity for the behavior of three young students whose prank may or may not have been racially motivated.

  4. #54
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Question: If I'm in the kitchen with someone, I lose my balance and bump into them, and they fall on the stove and burn their hand, does it make it hurt any less?
    Nope and where did you get the silly idea that anyone said it would? If you can't see a meaningful difference between that and someone grabbing another person and forcibly holding their hand against a burner then you're completely out of touch with reality. One is assault and one is not. Intent absolutely matters.

  5. #55
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    What I find surprising is that racial tolerance seems to be inversely related to living in populations with low racial diversity. Obama's share of the white vote increased in states where there was lower levels of black population. Odd, isn't it?
    Only if you assume the correlation is causation. Got a link?

    If I had to guess it would be that certain states that have high levels of black population might also have had more widespread and deeply entrenched racism at one point in history (ie, the South). In which case it would hardly be surprising to find that such states are bringing up the rear in terms of racial tolerance.

  6. #56
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Only if you assume the correlation is causation. Got a link?

    If I had to guess it would be that certain states that have high levels of black population might also have had more widespread and deeply entrenched racism at one point in history (ie, the South). In which case it would hardly be surprising to find that such states are bringing up the rear in terms of racial tolerance.
    I would also hazard that Obama's share of a vote is a poor measurement of racial tolerance.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #57
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Only if you assume the correlation is causation. Got a link?


    If I had to guess it would be that certain states that have high levels of black population might also have had more widespread and deeply entrenched racism at one point in history (ie, the South). In which case it would hardly be surprising to find that such states are bringing up the rear in terms of racial tolerance.
    I'd counter with the Cosby Show Effect. Whites with little exposure to black community have an idealized vision. What social science tells us is that multiculturalism destroys the fabric of society, so heavily multicultural societies are going to have more racial division that is seen in more homogeneous societies, or states, or cities. After all, liberals flock to Vermont and Portland and not to Detroit and Birmingham where they would have more opportunity to bite into the delicious fruit of multiculturalism.

  8. #58
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,425

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Oh for God's sake. A kid prank. Yeah, it's a racist prank. The kids probably aren't. Who knows?

    Frankly, I think the fraternity HQ over-reacted. If anything, the kids should have been suspended from the school.
    When you suspend them, you flirt with violating their 1st Amendment rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #59
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    When you suspend them, you flirt with violating their 1st Amendment rights.
    I don't buy that. Being disciplined for defacing a statue, burning a cross, things like that are certainly not violating one's 1st Amendment Rights. They had the right to SAY what they pleased. They crossed that line.

  10. #60
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Wow. Thanks for that, I couldn't have posted more convincing evidence of my argument myself. Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky. lol, I could practically use this graph as a road map indicating on which each state fought in the Civil War. You're surprised these states show signs of racial intolerance? Are you surprised when water is wet too?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I'd counter with the Cosby Show Effect. Whites with little exposure to black community have an idealized vision.
    Maybe so.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    What social science tells us is that multiculturalism destroys the fabric of society,
    lol. Oh, ok. If you say so.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    so heavily multicultural societies are going to have more racial division that is seen in more homogeneous societies, or states, or cities.
    It's self-evident that a homogenous society isn't going to have much racial division - there's nothing to divide. That doesn't mean that homogenous societies are necessarily more racially tolerant.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    After all, liberals flock to Vermont and Portland and not to Detroit and Birmingham where they would have more opportunity to bite into the delicious fruit of multiculturalism.
    Again you struggle differentiating correlation and causation.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •