Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 182

Thread: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

  1. #31
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    That's two years old, The Governor is Republican. It's a red state.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  2. #32
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by BMCM View Post
    That's two years old, The Governor is Republican. It's a red state.
    No such thing. No state is all red or all blue. And that map was from the very last election. Lot of blue districts in that state you claim to be all red. California has had republican governors, did that mean the state was all red?

  3. #33
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    It probably means Doing Stupid Things. What's the big deal?
    I don't know what the big deal is. I'm trying to find out. Whatever it is, it's somehow related to the topic.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  4. #34
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    I don't know what the big deal is. I'm trying to find out. Whatever it is, it's somehow related to the topic.
    If you agree with common reasoning that kids do silly things, without malice, that make no sense whatsoever, I think you've got it.

  5. #35
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Couple things, I'm 63 in a few months and my father was the only one with the grant to call me "Son". My point is, you make great hay that you live disconnected from the world. Great way to live and I have zero problem with it. It'd be where I'd be if I didn't have grandkids. But it makes you out of touch with the culture you seem to really want to comment upon.

    Hey, you've got a computer, and I know your connection works. Try google, duh!
    I tried Google and got references to a video game.
    I doubt that it matters to the topic. Hanging a noose around the neck of that statue, in that place, was an expression of racism, whether it was intended to be or not. I don't care about the consequences- it doesn't matter to me if the school ignores it, if the fraternity endorses it or if the students involved get tarred and feathered. It's Mississippi, might as well be Burma as far as I'm concerned. It's still racist, though.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  6. #36
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    If you agree with common reasoning that kids do silly things, without malice, that make no sense whatsoever, I think you've got it.
    Silly?
    I don't know, it looks like a reference to lynching to me. If you can take the malice out of that, then maybe it's not racism but I see it different.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  7. #37
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    I tried Google and got references to a video game.
    I doubt that it matters to the topic. Hanging a noose around the neck of that statue, in that place, was an expression of racism, whether it was intended to be or not. I don't care about the consequences- it doesn't matter to me if the school ignores it, if the fraternity endorses it or if the students involved get tarred and feathered. It's Mississippi, might as well be Burma as far as I'm concerned. It's still racist, though.
    No you didn't, that or you just don't know how to use a search engine. Here, I've done it for you:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=jack...I7MXGB_enUS533

    The first page of links tells you everything you need to know about doing dumb things for the sake of doing dumb things.

    As for the rest, old northern attitude disconnected from modern reality.

  8. #38
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No you didn't, that or you just don't know how to use a search engine. Here, I've done it for you:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=jack...I7MXGB_enUS533

    The first page of links tells you everything you need to know about doing dumb things for the sake of doing dumb things.

    As for the rest, old northern attitude disconnected from modern reality.
    Okay, you've reminded me- my son still owes me a couple bucks from years ago when he advised me to rent a movie called 'Jackass'. You coulda just said so earlier.
    So you're saying this was just a jackass stunt and shouldn't be blown out of proportion? I disagree. If it was a joke, it would still take a committed racist to smile at seeing a noose around James Meredith's neck.
    I'm not advocating any kind of punishment, I'm just saying there's no way to pretend this isn't an expression of racism. Maybe they were just drunk one night and wouldn't do it sober, but in vino veritas, sometimes.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  9. #39
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Silly?
    I don't know, it looks like a reference to lynching to me. If you can take the malice out of that, then maybe it's not racism but I see it different.
    Here's a concept for you: "Racism" is a dispositive term, a damning label that, by definition, must have malice in the intent of the actor.

    There is no evidence of that here and your personal hatred of whites cannot be substituted for that intent.

  10. #40
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Fraternity expels 3 linked to statue noose, suspends Ole Miss chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Here's a concept for you: "Racism" is a dispositive term, a damning label that, by definition, must have malice in the intent of the actor.

    There is no evidence of that here and your personal hatred of whites cannot be substituted for that intent.
    A white guy hanging a noose around the neck of James Meredith doesn't look like racism to you?
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •