Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 144

Thread: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

  1. #31
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Aid is just another word for control, so yes, most of it. Besides, we're 17 trillion dollars in debt and borrowing money to give to foreigners and charging our grandchildren to pay for it.
    Ok, let's just take your view on it....knowing that nature abhors a vacuum, whom do you suppose would fill that void, and what influence do you suppose would exerted? Good, or bad?

    I don't think anybody would be against disaster relief, but that's a minimal amount of the "aid" (read, bribe money) that the US provides.
    No, no...you can't have it both ways....If you want the checkbook closed, then it is closed period....**** everyone else right? Your anti American views aside.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #32
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,649

    Re: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    But, you see, the manufacturers of those military machines that we don't really need contribute to campaigns and fund lobbyists. The soldiers fighting our wars don't.

    It seems to be a common and deadly weakness in the human mind to always undervalue deterrence during periods of relative peace.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #33
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I support cuts across the board. If I am to believe that more can be done with less in regard to welfare, how am I to feel otherwise in regard to the military?
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    It is shameful that our military, especially enlisted ranks are paid what they are paid today...
    Agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Cut the military to a defensive force, not a menacing force, and the personnel can be paid well.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    It seems to be a common and deadly weakness in the human mind to always undervalue deterrence during periods of relative peace.
    Agreed.

    Even without a few newer fancier aircraft, we are still by far the most heavily armed and deadly force in the world. Until WWII we barely had a standing military and after that we had the most overblown one.

    Cutting the toys out should easily provide for better pay for our troops. And finally make some progress to further cut our debts.

    This is a good day for America. And we are just as safe from attack as we were before.

  4. #34
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,649

    Re: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Even without a few newer fancier aircraft, we are still by far the most heavily armed and deadly force in the world. Until WWII we barely had a standing military and after that we had the most overblown one.

    Cutting the toys out should easily provide for better pay for our troops. And finally make some progress to further cut our debts.

    This is a good day for America. And we are just as safe from attack as we were before.

    To keep referring to the next generation military equipment as "toys" makes me wonder whether you really do agree with me. Vast technological superiority IS the deterrence I was speaking about. It's not total troops (China and North Korea trounce us), it is the huge gap between US military technology and everyone else.

    As for the soldiers pay, it is really a separate issue. Ask the soldier on the front line if he would give up hellfire missile support for an extra $50 in his paycheck.

    Yes, paying soldiers more is a noble goal that I support, but not at the cost of technological superiority that helps the US keep those soldiers alive both on the battlefield and by keeping them off the battlefield all together through deterrence.

    These aren't "toys".
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  5. #35
    Student
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    05-13-15 @ 09:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    166

    Re: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

    You have to consider that your pay grade is based on merit. And what happens when you get top heavy?

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    You have to consider that your pay grade is based on merit. And what happens when you get top heavy?
    No always. Junior enlisted is very much reliant on time served, at least in the Air Force.

    For enlisted, that won't happen. Promotions are based upon the number of openings at the higher grades. We do however have an officer to enlisted ratio at present that is way higher than it needs to be.

    Also, the article doesn't talk about cutting troops, it talks about cutting their pay by limiting pay raises when inflation causes their pay to be less valuable.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  7. #37
    Student
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    05-13-15 @ 09:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    166

    Re: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

    Old saying in the Marine Corps "I never promised you a rose garden." If you are in the military to get rich your in the wrong occupation.

  8. #38
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    To keep referring to the next generation military equipment as "toys" makes me wonder whether you really do agree with me. Vast technological superiority IS the deterrence I was speaking about. It's not total troops (China and North Korea trounce us), it is the huge gap between US military technology and everyone else.

    As for the soldiers pay, it is really a separate issue. Ask the soldier on the front line if he would give up hellfire missile support for an extra $50 in his paycheck.

    Yes, paying soldiers more is a noble goal that I support, but not at the cost of technological superiority that helps the US keep those soldiers alive both on the battlefield and by keeping them off the battlefield all together through deterrence.

    These aren't "toys".
    Fair enough. We already have superior war weapons. Presumably we keep an adequate inventory. Presumably we continue research on improved versions but stop funding huge purchases, particularly those that the military really don't want and are developed to pork an area and re-elect a Congressperson and invest in the upgrades to current equipment that improves the safety of our current military.

    So, I retract the term "toys".

  9. #39
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,649

    Re: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Fair enough. We already have superior war weapons. Presumably we keep an adequate inventory. Presumably we continue research on improved versions but stop funding huge purchases, particularly those that the military really don't want and are developed to pork an area and re-elect a Congressperson and invest in the upgrades to current equipment that improves the safety of our current military.

    So, I retract the term "toys".
    The Airforce has a habit of updating their airframes every few decades and the F-16 and F-18 are both showing their age. Improvements only go so far until you find the airframe needs replacement. VTOL aircraft like the F-35 are the natural replacement to the old style airframes, increasing the flexibility of the military tremendously.

    I mean, you can argue that the "military" really doesn't want these new airframes and vehicles... but then they also didn't want airplanes, aircraft carriers, tanks, rifled muskets, etc.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #40
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,724

    Re: Pentegon set to release new cuts to Active Duty

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    You my friend have hit the nail on the head. The campaign cash from lobbyist and those corporations of the military industrial complex are heard loud and clear. the soldier in the field, not at all.
    So, let me ask you. Was Eisenhower a prophet?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •