Page 81 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 810 of 1212

Thread: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451:959]

  1. #801
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    lets just predict the future now

    this bill will be vetoed, if it does happen to gain traction anywhere it will be temporary and even if passed it will eventually be removed when pushed to the higher courts

    its panic and fear from some bigots and or people who support discrimination nothing more
    So should hate speech be banned?

  2. #802
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Let me get this straight .. you dont have a right to someone elses private business, yet refusing to do private business with someone somehow violates their rights? Which rights?
    The right to not be discriminated against due to your race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. Your question is too broad in that you seem to be intentionally avoiding any mention of protected class, as though you are unaware that this issue isn't about "refusing to do private business with someone," it's about refusing to do private business with a person solely due to their race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. Clearly, the Civil Rights Act is a precedent here, and I would suggest that what you are fundamentally opposed to is that act, or at least parts of it. If we hadn't passed the Civil Rights Act, what do you think America would look like today? What would have happened during the lifetime of MLKJ? Now please consider what it is that you are endorsing.

    Since the businesses who have made the news in relation to the issue of discriminating against homosexuals have cited religious freedom, let me offer a suggestion. How about a bakery is allowed to refuse business to homosexuals as long as it also refuses businesses to all sinners. Anybody who has had a divorce and anybody who has had sex before marriage. Otherwise, a bakery who serves the latter groups of people but cites religious freedom to justify denying service to the former is apparently trying to find a legal justification for their bigotry.
    A working class hero is something to be

  3. #803
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    There is no such thing as "GLBT rights" and as has already been shown the cabbie example is a bust. As for the last, total bull****, there have been no boycotts of the Grand Canyon and anything Arizona loses from a few butthurt homosexuals they gain and more from the majority of folks who go there anyway.
    That is not what business leaders and the tourist industry are saying and have said even while the bill was being discussed.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #804
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,786

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    So should hate speech be banned?

    is hate speech LEGALLY defined?
    and if so please share

    also if it is defined what laws and rights does hate speech break/infringe?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #805
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    The right to not be discriminated against due to your race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. Your question is too broad in that you seem to be intentionally avoiding any mention of protected class, as though you are unaware that this issue isn't about "refusing to do private business with someone," it's about refusing to do private business with a person solely due to their race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. Clearly, the Civil Rights Act is a precedent here, and I would suggest that what you are fundamentally opposed to is that act, or at least parts of it. If we hadn't passed the Civil Rights Act, what do you think America would look like today? What would have happened during the lifetime of MLKJ? Now please consider what it is that you are endorsing.

    Since the businesses who have made the news in relation to the issue of discriminating against homosexuals have cited religious freedom, let me offer a suggestion. How about a bakery is allowed to refuse business to homosexuals as long as it also refuses businesses to all sinners. Anybody who has had a divorce and anybody who has had sex before marriage. Otherwise, a bakery who serves the latter groups of people but cites religious freedom to justify denying service to the former is apparently trying to find a legal justification for their bigotry.
    Why does the reason someone doesnt want to do business with another person matter? Its still their property, still their busness and still their labor. If they dont want to include someone in that, why should they be forced to?

  6. #806
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by trollarc View Post
    Business can already reject customers for ANY or NO reason. Meaningless law.
    This SHOULD be the case.

    It is not.

  7. #807
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    That is not what business leaders and the tourist industry are saying and have said even while the bill was being discussed.
    They have that right. Large corporations can refuse to set up shop in Arizona, should this bill pass. I support that right.

    Many big players are coming out against this. If anything, that will be what kills this bill.

  8. #808
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    is hate speech LEGALLY defined?
    and if so please share

    also if it is defined what laws and rights does hate speech break/infringe?
    Lets not talk laws. Thats robot talk. Some laws are good, some are unjust. Lets skip that.
    Rights however, are pretty clear cut. Which rights does not serving gays violate? There is no right to be free from discrimination by private individuals. Only to be free from discrimination by government.

  9. #809
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    And yet she dawdles. Each day not only causes more unneeded attention to the state but costs perhaps millions in revenue, current and future. It is ultimately the citizens who are paying and will pay for this latest bit Tea Bag insanity in Arizona.
    Please allow me to debate this point, since the rest was great.
    For this week, the damage looks to be done for AZ, no matter how fast Gov. Brewer moves.
    Her meeting with the three GOP legislators today who have recanted is wise.
    I can just see her chewing them a new ass for putting AZ in this position.

    However, GOP National leaders are 'coming out' of the woodwork against this bill.
    Brewer is savvy enough to see this and use this as a positive unintended/intended consequence .
    Physics is Phun

  10. #810
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,786

    Re: Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill[W:451]

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    1.)Lets not talk laws. Thats robot talk. Some laws are good, some are unjust. Lets skip that.
    2.)Rights however, are pretty clear cut.
    3.) Which rights does not serving gays violate?
    4.)There is no right to be free from discrimination by private individuals.
    5.)Only to be free from discrimination by government.
    1.) so lets ignore facts, got it
    2.) not always and not in all states, counties and municipalities
    3.) theres no rights violated by simply not serving gays
    4.) this statement is factually wrong in some cases sorry you are confused
    5.) in addition to other things
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 81 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •